Lumintop GT nano on the way

Tubes are showing back in stock for anyone who was still looking to pick one up, 27 in stock at the time of writing.

Indeed, charging too fast will kill a cell quickly. Charging much too fast may cause a fire. The proposed charger works much too fast.

Sometimes BLF knowledge disappears, maybe this is such case.

Years ago we used these DIY USB chargers. These small boards were all over ebay for a few dollars, you set the charge current by soldering a resistor, in this case I soldered 22K for 60mA charge current. I added two wires with magnets soldered at the end.

But there is nothing wrong with that Nano charger, or is there?

the link says:
It can charge various lithium ion batteries with voltages ranging from 3. 6V to 4.2V for 32650, 21700,18650,18350,17500,16340,14500

I notice there is no mention of 10180, not sure if that is intentional

the concern is that it might not drop to 60mA current

I have the Olight Universal Charger, and I like it a lot. FWIW, when charging a 16340 it can start out at 1C for that cell, and then tapers off over time. 610mA would obviously be 10x too high for a 10180:

when charging was almost finished, after 55 minutes, the charge rate dropped down to 140mA, which would be about 2C for a 10180:

I dont think 140mA would be a safe charge rate for a 10180.

But, I have not tested a 10180 (and dont have one), so I dont know if the magnetic chargers will drop to 60mA and therefore I do not know if they are safe for 10180…

maybe someone here can do a test and let us know…
(dont guess)

btw here is a test and review of the Olight Universal Charger

HKJ does not include 10180 in the test.

maybe someone here can read the details and tell whether it would work w 10180.
my reading is NO (but Im no the expert).
I would defer to someone who does an actual test.

I’m no expert by any means and not very technical but I’ve been using 10180 cells for years. I would think 0.25A might be an ideal charging rate for them. I started charging them with the little DQG charger they use to sell for the 10180 DQG mini lights of which I still have several. It charges at 0.50A but has never seemed to harm them. Some of the cells are years old and still have over 90% capacity.

I believe the charger that comes with the Nano charges at 0.50A. Maybe Lumintop could confirm this. Another way you could go is to use a small, single cell smart charger that charges at a 0.25A rate. I have an older XTAR XP1 single cell smart charger that charges at 0.25A or 0.50A. I can charge the 10180 cells at .025A using aluminum spacers.

Like I say, I’m no expert and feel free to disagree with me but I mainly charge at 0.50A and some of my cells are years old and have been charged many times and are still going strong.

please help me understand your post in milliamps, Im a bit confused

bear in mind a 10180 is a 70mAh cell, so charging at .025A (25 milliamps) sounds fine, but 0.25A sounds like 250mA, which is about 4x higher than 1C

Yeah jon, thanks for that. These numbers and decibel points can get confusing and easy to misprint. :person_facepalming: I meant .025A & .050A.

I charge my 10180 at 2.0 amps, but mine does 1800 lumens, 200 kcd.

What day is it?

I an getting high parasitic drain on the nano. The battery goes to zero in 2 weeks. I am now unscrewing tail cap 1/8 to remedy.

I measured parasitic drain at 21 microamps, so I got lucky with mine.

Someone can clearly explain: how to switch the alarm about switching to the lower mode (these annoying blinks of the main diode) to the button, or even remove it altogether? I will be grateful. :slight_smile:

Think I got that hard coded in the firmware. Easy to get rid of if you can modify the firmware, and flash it, but that seems not so easy with this Nano? Think they have the MCU under the top board, so you'd have to take apart the 2 board driver.

Another candidate for an AVR 1-series MCU: smaller footprint, less pins for flashing.

Strange, in this review: [Review] - Lumintop GT Nano - 450 lumen, 300m, 10180 80mAh - by Lock rather confidently it is argued that the settings allow you to do this …

do what?

please quote the part you mean

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Nano extended body tube, does it run multiple 10180’s or a different cell. I bought 4x10180 Sofirn branded sells from the Sofirn store on Ali. Live to buy the longer body tube so I don’t have to pinch the light when holding it.

It’s for 10440 Li-Ion cell. By putting multiple 10180 cells you’ll fry either the driver or the LED or both.

The 10440 cell has 3 times the energy of a 10180 cell and can deliver more current/has less voltage sag. I modded my Nano with a SST20 which runs at a slightly higher voltage as the stock CSLNM1, so the 10440 cell was almost required for that.

Can the 10440 be charged in a desktop charger?

Ive been charging my 10440’s in the xtar vc4s I have without issues. Most chargers will accept them I believe, just need to check the spec for your charger.

They’re explicitly listed for the old Lii-500.