Lumintop GT4

Have they started selling them? I didn’t know. I’m kind of interested in the technology used, but I don’t have any intention of buying any of these lights. I’m not really a fan of super throwy lights.

I changed my original post.

I guess I need to look for some reviews on the W10.

It is hypothesized that the MF04 uses a higher bin cool White LED in comparison to the neutral white bin used on the GT. That’s probably where it’s getting a little bit of it’s extra output from, as well as the slightly higher amperage.

Did we get any lux readings for this?

It has been a while, but I remember somebody who measured the amperage at the emitter on their MF04. They got 2.7A, but —— they measured it in series using a DMM. It’s not quite as accurate as a clamp meter so I’m not 100% sure it’s actually 2.7A. I do know it squeezes out a bit higher lumens, so the 2.7A kinda makes sense. On the other hand, the extra lumens might all be from a higher bin CW led.

To be sure we would need at least a few people to take their MF04 apart and own clamp style ammeters and have TA Lumen Tubes and also own GT’S to compare to. Not many people fit this criteria.

It would be great if we could just get a few people to measure the amperage on the emitter with a clamp meter. Then we would know for sure what the driver is doing.

Matt (vestureofblood) did some lux readings on the MF04 and GT:

https://1lumen.com/18650-reviews/astrolux-mf04/

Measured at 5 meters
Astrolux MF04 throw is: 825kcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
BLF GT throw is: 802kcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
Measured at 10 meters
Astrolux MF04 throw is: 1.027Mcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
BLF GT throw is: 810kcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
Measured at 15 meters
Astrolux MF04 throw is: 1.19Mcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
BLF GT throw is: 814kcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries)
BLF GT throw is: 834kcd on Turbo (4 Samsung 30Q batteries + Pana NCRB)

I tested them both with the same Samsung Q30 flat top batteries (using the magnet trick I mentioned earlier for the MF04). My measurements always seem to be a little on the lower end compared to others. Astrolux claims a throw of MAX 1460000cd 1.4million candela. Which is almost double of what I measured… at least at 5 meters. I know measuring at 5 meters for such a flashlight is pointless, but it was the easiest to start off with!
Conclusion is that my Astrolux MF04 throws quite a bit farther than the BLF GT!

I assume you mean the GT4?

Yes sorry I meant GT4 - just thought it was obvious as it’s a GT4 thread when I posted.

Texas_Ace was saying the throw distance should be about the same as the GT70, 1500-1600 meters, but with a bigger hotspot and 20k+ lumens.

So far, I think he is the only person to actually get a hold of a prototype. I don’t think he was able to measure it though due to some problems that need to be fixed.

Maybe he can give some more exact numbers soon.

Cheers, they sound like nice figures.

It should be a bit less then the GT70 but how much is the question. Generally 10-15% less has served me well in the past and sounds reasonable here as well. But yes, similar throw to the GT70 with a lot more lumens and wider hotspot.

Today is the dawn of the worlds first production 100 000 lumen LED flashlight. It’s from a brand wrought with controversy from overstated output to massive QC issues.

They also announce a 36 000 lumen high output thrower that in theory blows away the GT4…

I for one couldn’t care less what Imalent produces when there’s a BLF joint project that competes with it!

BLF involved lights = real output figures, real testing/QC and an entire community supporting it.

I’m buying a GT4 whenever it launches regardless

TA and anyone involved in BLF projects, your hard work is appreciated immensely!

100k, yeah so they say.
Some gov. agency may step in and regulate because they hit “100k” lumens.

Supwildfire has been advertising 100,000 and more on ebay, even 2,000,000! From XM-L T6’s no less!

Will the recent news regarding new Imalent models coming out put pressure on Lumintop to release this asap?

I hope not, they need to get it right, not fast.

Agreed.

imo lumintop doesnt not feel any pressure from imalent at all, they make different lights seems imalent only want impress and lie on papers what their lights does, actual facts shows different values and numbers. For lumintop they should take their time and dont stress this one out, if they can do a good job on thermal stuff and stepdowns, it sounds on texas ace like its doing a good job on this prototype then it will be better in actual use, longer runtime is better then a very very high mode that will almost instant stepdown very lower and thus ruining your eye vision for a moment.

I agree 100%. I am looking forward to this light, will wait patiently if it means getting it done right.

In contrast with the 100.000 (inflated) lumen and noisy and not very watertight(?) Imalent, the GT4 will be a very usable flashlight, big and heavy (but that is what the shoulder strap is for) but you can switch it on at high level and forget about it, you likely have your light level almost until the batteries are drained.

Thinking about that, with the power consumption of the GT4, and the ability to actually maintain that power, the batteries are drained pretty fast, so a good aftermarket product would be an extra battery tube with cell-carriers and screw-on cap, so you can swap in a freshly loaded tube if needed.

Yes, the thermal properties of the GT4 appear to be so much improved that it preforms even better then the GT70 when it comes to heat up time even with almost 4x the power (so read that as almost 4x the cooling).

With the default thermal protection the stepdown will be about the same as the GT70 I am guessing at around ~3-4 minutes but if you use a custom temperature or disable the thermal stepdown it can run until the batteries are drained without damaging the light but with very high temps of course. With ~400W of power there is no way we are passively taming that as I showed above. The heatsink needed to do that would be as big as a child! lol.

Thats the great thing about Narsil, you can set it up how ever you prefer. Normal person mode with temps that don’t cause burns, or hot rod mode that will run until the batteries are dead but responsibility needed to make sure you don’t burn yourself.