Luminus CFT-90 Testing - The Mother of all LEDs

It all sounds super spiffy to me :slight_smile:
Can’t wait to see it in the wild!

I love that these are moving to LED. With high efficiency amplifiers and lighting, the kind of mobile rig that can run off wall outlets is amazing. 20 years ago most small gigs would have required an electrician to add extra drops or a generator to match what’s available today.

It’s all in the datasheet .

Applications
• Fiber illumination including:
-medical endoscopy
-machine vision
-microscopy and other instrumentation
• Inspection and industrial applications
• Stage and Entertainment spot lights, narrow beam projectors
• Architectural Lighting
• Off-road vehicle and truck projector lights
• Search Lights
• Beacons

It’s the first LED that actually has search lights listed in the applications.

Yup.
Not having to replace a bulb every 2000h is very nice :slight_smile:

Who will be the first to build one?

Enderman you could put that in bazooka :slight_smile:

“narrow beam projectors” Isn’t that what we call a “thrower” around here? :wink:

To me that translates as an aspheric zoomie. That’s perfect for stage lighting since it provides even lighting across a variable width beam.

Too much heat and power draw, not enough lux for the cost.
If I had extra time and money I would probably make a stationary spotlight with it using a 25” reflector and some liquid cooling, maybe even with a peltier too.
Then drive it at 50+ amps :slight_smile:

Yeah, the word ‘projector’ gives away that it has a lens (or lens system) rather than a reflector for focusing the light. I’m just pointing out that this emitter should indeed be good for throwers. Some guys don’t seem convinced, even though it has already been stated that the luminance is even greater than the old style XP-G2.

If you are going stationary a short arc lamp would be smaller diameter with same lumens and throw

Here is some more info on the Led.
http://www.luminus.com/products/CFT-90.html

Hmmm, replace HID lights. Interesting.

A short arc lamp would be MUCH more lumens or throw.
The point of using this LED would be to have something that is LED, without all the disadvantages of short arc.
If I wanted max lumens and throw then nothing can compete with short arc.

200-250W short arc lamp is in same lumens range like overdriven CFT90
Some lumens get lost by the lamp and the arms on top of the reflector

Of course the throw with same reflector would be much more

A LED build is cheaper and has its advantages, but finding such a big reflector with a narrow base may not be easy

I wouldn’t do it because it’s “cheaper” I would do it to make it to break world records for LED lighting.
But I’m not going to, at least not any time soon.

And you do not need a “narrow base reflector” if you use a recoil configuration :wink:

200W. At this power level why a pelt and not phase change?

Phase change is really loud, and I would be concerned with ice damaging the LED when it gets to –30 or whatever.

Phase change is too heavy to carry around, but I did say earlier that it would be stationary so I guess phase change is also an option.
I am curious now at what current levels I could drive LEDs if they were at –70C…hmmm

What would be needed to update some of my SST/SBT lights? There is one other not pictured a 4D with the SBT70. The higher binned SBT ones still hold their own with some of the newer lights. Current draw on the Luminous lights here are around 13-17A on 4NiMH. I still get these things out every once in a while and they are impressive.

You would have to file the copper pcb of the LED down, it’s very big. The pcb is also led minus, but that’s probably not a problem.
The D-cell config is a must! The c cells are too weak I would guess.

Those lights rock! I used to have one and regret selling it.

I don’t even know if D cells could supply enough current. I wonder if parallel imr would be an option. This led sounds incredible. I’d love to see this in an big reflector like the vpt3 78 mm or the monster GT reflector. An aspheric with light recycling would be something special for sure.

You don’t need to run it at –30. You can fine-tune it to stay just above the dew point to keep it safe. You need a serious WC to take 400W off a relatively small block…
But noise, it’s unavoidable. Weight? I think WC of this capabilities would weigh more, but I’m not sure. It definitely depends on what compressor you pick.
I don’t think you can do –70 with a single stage cooler. But if you want to build a cascade…why not? :slight_smile: