Luminus SFT-12?

Luminus SFT-12

Looks interesting though image is missing.

Round die, 3535 size, but only 1,8A nominal. Still interesting enough :star_struck:

Any ideas what to expect?

Edit: we got visual

3 Thanks

So is it a domeless SST12? Might be a little underwhelming. A domeless SST20 could be more interesting - I wonder if they’ll do that.

Looks like it might fit the niche of low power pocket throwers, like AAA cell keychain lights. Wonder how much overdriving potential it has, and whether the intensity can compare with the SFT40. If they’ve done things right this thing should be able to achieve higher peak intensity just because everything is scaled down.

The SFT20 does exist, but only in monochrome variants afaik.

1 Thank

I got the same findings. But for multiple emitters SFT-12 may be worthwhile. At least this is what i hope for.

I am curious where Kaidomain got the specs from, I couldn’t find a datasheet. It appears to be a direct copy-paste from info on the SST12.

Koef3 has tested the SST12, and the overdrive performance was disappointing. The datasheet maximum is already close to the actual maximum. I see little reason to anticipate a substantial improvement with the SFT12. In fact, the domed SST12 already exhibits features of an SFT-type design like bond wires encased in a white substrate.

Chances are it’s only good for low to moderate drive currents and will probably be best used for single-emitter low-power AA/AAA lights. But I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong!

The thing is, there are already better 3535 emitters with round die out there…

The ‘YLX N3535B’ (pretty sure that this is not the real name) from the Wurkkos TS12 maxed out at over 9 Amps. It is likely that this is the same round die from Sanan as used in the SST-12, simply by the fact Luminus belongs 100 % to Sanan.

Very strange, I also cannot tell why the domed SST-12 has such a bad performance, especially with 4.9 °C/W the thermal resistance is not as bad as like this mysterious 97 CRI 3535 LED in the other thread and should easily goes up to 4-5 Amps…

1 Thank

Oh right, I completely forgot about the YLX emitter! The only issue is the lack of a reliable source and greenish tint, but these issues are easily addressable in principle if Luminus/San’an chooses to. In that case I don’t see any room at all for the SFT12 in low CRI variants.

It is puzzling to see how poorly the SST12 performs compared to the larger Luminus emitters when normalized. I wonder if thermal resistance is something that we as hobbyists can measure or can be made up arbitrarily by the manufacturer.

Updated 1st post with the picture.

Looks interesting imo.

Absolutely agree but there is one BUT: you won’t buy that LED. Even Wurkkos won’t sell it after asking. So it’s kind of Yeti : we all know it exists but nobody knows where to but it.

1 Thank

Yep, like SST-12 but without dome. Even the bonding wires are the same. If don’t even think that the LED chip is the same as with the YLX N3535B, because of the much higher thermal resistance.

Looks a lot like the egg version of the Yinding L50 emitters, scaled down to 3535. Really starting to think that Yinding, Luminus, and LMP are collaborating on these new releases.

This emitter might be interesting in high CRI. For an actual thrower pretty much any 5050-class domeless emitter beats this.

I don’t think so, like I wrote in the previous post.
The thermal resistance of the SST-12 (or of the LED chip used in it) seems to have high thermal resistance, maybe it is some of low-budget chip which does not have high overcurrent capabilities.

The “egg” versions (including the mysterious YLX N3535B) have low thermal resistance and very good overcurrent performance, only the tint is horribly green in almost all cases.

1 Thank