M1 MTG2 TIR Artifacts in beam profile. Suggestions?

I just finished copying this mtg2 TIR build by comfychair. I put it together and gave it a shine. It’s nice and bright, but the beam profile is TERRIBLE! Any suggestions?

Here’s a screen shot. It’s a bit different than what the camara is showing. It’s more spiky. Like a pointy snowflake. Are these artifacts normal for the mtg2? It looks like all of the die’s are being projected. Suggestions for a better beam?

Try to use more wide or frosted lens with mt-g2. This optics should have wonderful beam with xm-l2 or smaller die leds.

i am using the same optic from the thread and comfychair seems to have a nice smooth beam from it. I wonder how to focus these lenses?

Anyone know if it would help to shave the bottom of the optic in order to get the LED dome farther up into the opening?

I will try it soon, I just don’t want to ruin it. But it’s no good as is… I tried an xml2 and that definately did not work. So it’s no good to me as is.

I don`t know why do you confuse Ouchyfoot and comfychair.
I think that all multi-die leds have some artefacts in beam with narrow tir lens. You beam is not terrible if you compare it with MT-G in same config.
Carclo single optics is hard to focus, carclo offers lots of holders, if you`ll spend some time to read carclo documents you can find out height on which you need to lift optics over led to have best focus.

Sorry! I was reading threads from each and my memory serves me wrong. Yes. Is ouchyfoot :person_facepalming:

I will try to look up some literature from carclo to find my answer. For now, I used DC fix and the beam looks pretty good at the expense of some lumens loss. I think I actually like the mtg2 best in the origional m1 reflector. I however, I have already press fit in a copper spacer so I will be settling with the DC fix for now. Thanks for the help

Back up, it should look better then.

The beam in the photo above does not do justice to how ugly it looked to the naked eye. If any of you would have seen it, you would have cringed as I did. Yes, outdoors it is “ok”, but from any distance, 0-20 meters indoors, there was no overlooking the artifacts in the beem. Maybe I received a bad lens? However, I shouldn’t say it was ugly to everyone… My 7 year old daughter insisted on keeping it as is to project snowflakes on the walls:)