M24 or L2 ?

Can someone please advise which of these lights has the longest throw ?
I really like my C8 XPL-HI, now I want a longer throwing light with the same LED :smiley:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=622&search=M24

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=652&search=Convoy

Thanks !

I don’t have the L2 but if it is out throwing the 4+amp M24 then it is definitely a huge thrower.

I came up with the higher amp M24 and did the GB and I can tell you it is a serious thrower for sure , easily see clearly at 500 to 600 yards, and with a dedomed XM-L2 U4 1C in that light it does even better.

Here are a few comparison beamshots I took recently.

How about this one (same as Robo819’s BLF Special Edition, just under a different brand name):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-Sniper-M24-XP-L-HI-LED-High-4-5A-Current-Same-Version-as-BLF-Group/314381_32604784228.html

Anecdotal reports of the output:

• 1200 lumens
  • 250kcd (1000 meter throw)

Reference: GB Interest ///OFFICIALLY CLOSED 11/8 @ 9pm CST/Maxtoch M24 Sniper with XP-L HI /// 250K lux @ 4.3 Amps!!!

Solid info peeps. Cheers. I don’t know which to buy now :stuck_out_tongue:
By the sounds of it, a dedomed U4 will put more light down range than the XPL-HI.
But the 4.5 amp sniper 1dash1 linked is 0.5 more amps than the others.

I’m lost now !

Buy both. :smiley:

It is actually the same light I did the GB on, they had a minimum of 4.0 amps to go on when we started, and ended up at 4.3 to 4.5 amp driver in them. The Aliexpress site has just a few of them from the GB , only with the regular M24 Sniper lettering on the tube , instead of the BLF TE lettering , as those were only done for the GB. The ones Richard has at his site (mtnelectronics) are also the same light with the regular lettering on them, as he purchased 20 of the extra ones they had made up. All of the lights are the same components inside though, as the GB light had, as they made up 35 or 40 extras when the GB was done. There have not been anymore of this particular light (higher amp M24) made since that I am aware of.

EDIT: Also the dedomed XM-L2 U4 1C brings the light from 250K lux (with XP-L HI) up to around 300K lux as tested by mudgripz and gadgetman.

I received my Maxtoch Sniper M24 with the dedomed U3 led from EST Group on Aliexpress 3 days ago.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-Sniper-M24-Dedomed-U3-LED-1250lm-AR-Lens-Copper-LED-Base-Long-Shooting-Distance-Hunt/32598726695.html?spm=2114.30010308.8.25.Rbebl1
The range of this little light is truly amazing, feels more like a white laser than a flashlight. Build quality is also very good.

Magilla the M24 in any form is a great light, yours should be doing around 3.5 amps and about 220-230K lux in stock form ( with the dedomed emitter) as it is a little better than my original M24 with the dedomed XM-L2 U2 and 3.5 amps with around 200K lux.

When you add the 4.3 to 4.5 amp driver and the dedomed U4 1C emitter they become a little beast no doubt.

Stock, the m24 sniper probably wins.
But if you are willing to mod it I think the L2 is a very good candidate to outperform the sniper.
Also the m24 sniper is a 2 cell 18650 light and the L2 is a 2 cell 26650 light.
26650’s have higher capacity and because the light is thicker at the battery tube it fits better in the hand.

So I would choose the light based on the cells it uses.

Feel is a very subjective thing. I have a Yezl Y3 and a Shadow JM35, both 2x26650. They have the heft of a 2C Maglite, which is very comfortable in my hand. On the other hand, my BLF TE M24 Sniper is almost nimble by comparison. I wouldn’t say that I like one form over the other.

As far as the 26650 capacity is concerned, it’s great if you need more than an hour runtime on turbo. Otherwise, it’s just extra weight.

Then there’s the inventory issue. Most people have 18650 batteries. Picking up a 26650 flashlight means having to stock up on one more type of battery and the 26650’s aren’t cheap. (On the other hand, if the user stays interested in flashlights, he’s probably going to eventually pick up a 26650 flashlight anyway.)

That was certainly in the back of my mind. I have no 26650 cells, but if I can match or surpass the M24 ( any of them ) in terms of throw with the L2 I’ll have to buy some.
It also comes down to $$$. With cells I’ll need and the modding I’ll need done, its going to add up.
In saying this, the L2 host is ~US40 cheaper than the average Sniper is complete.

I’m back to square one. There are simply too many unknowns for me until the L2 is modded, to really know if it can pump out ~300k lux.