Maglite 2D LED...Can it mod to (1) 18650?

Thought I read here while back that it was safe to do.

Since the maglite 2D led’s are regulated…can they be modded to run on one 18650 without damage? 3v > 3.7v ?

I just modded a 3C to one 18650…shorter runtime…but no more alkaline worrys.

TIA

I'm pretty sure they can, the only question is whether both the 3D and the 2D have the same electronics. I'm guessing yes.

I briefly added a 3rd D Cell to a 2D LED Maglite and the current dropped to exactly 2/3 of what it was with 2 D cells. I took that as the 3D and the 2D Mags have the same driver. Based on that, I would say yes, it would be OK to run on 1 18650 or 26650.

Thanks. Those are encouraging words. I’m so sick of the torches I’ve lost to alkalines… just wait long enough…alks will puke in your tube. :Sp

How much current draw these LED mags?

I just got the same result as you. I ran the 2D mag on 3 AA Eneloops. Current draw on the 2D’s was just over 1.04 amp. Draw on 3AA Eneloops was .65 amps.

Werner. The 2D LED Maglite draws just over 1 amp on (2) D cells.

I’ve been digging through old threads…. so zombie-necro-thread away!

Based on the above information, am I to conclude that this means any emitter/driver/drop in mods that can be done to a 3D can also be done to a 2D? So long as the emitter Vf and that supplied by the cells and driver all match up, you should be good to go, yeah?