Maglite or C8

I’ve got a couple of TTS drop ins. For the price and ease of fitment they are worth buying regardless. A 5D Mag is also going to offer huge run times too.

The TTS drop in’s are’t the brightest LEDs in the world, but you’ll be amazed how much brighter they make your MagLite over keeping the incan bulb.

The TTS drop ins throw very well, probably better than most C8’s will as C8’s are often XM-L’s. The spill from the TTS will be much better than the incan bulb, but nowhere near as good as an XM-L.

You an ALRC member?

Found some old samsung cell from a laptop so I’ll see if the charger cuts out on them. I’ve got a few birds to pluck this afternoon so I can keep an eye on them at the same time.

[quote=Chicken Drumstick

The TTS drop in’s are’t the brightest LEDs in the world, but you’ll be amazed how much brighter they make your MagLite over keeping the incan bulb.

You an ALRC member?[/quote]

Thought I might have a go at modding the old mag, maybe cut it down and sleeve it for 18650’s then sort a better led and head.

I’m not a member of any clubs now, did join a couple of local one’s but never had time to go to the meets.
Prefer the lanes and a bit of wild camping.

357 mag, perfect for lighting up the odd intruder. :bigsmile:

Dale, is that a S&W 586? I have never seen one with such a long barrel. 10”? It must be rare and worth a pretty penny.

I had a 4” and 6” 586 as well as the more common 686s. I have a 681 with 4”.

I have or had almost every .38 and .357 from S&W and Ruger. My all time favorite Rugers are the Speedsix in stainless steel ( hence my screen name). It’s harder to pick a favorite S&W because I like them all! I would say I prefer the K-frames over the N-frames. It doesn’t get much better than a blued 4” model 19.

8inch + on the barrel

The samsung cells stopped charging at 4.21, so the charger seems fine.

Now I’ve got two flat top cells that need a light to go in :slight_smile:

Any suggestions ?

Only after a small cheap one and prefer one from the uk due to the chinese new year (be getting lighter at nights by the time I get it)

I like my trustfire t2, I use flat tops in that, pretty much everything with a spring in both ends will work though. Not too sure about UK suppliers, they seem to just change the dollar sign to a pound sign and leave it at that :expressionless:

Edit :- I’ve got an edc host I could build up for you if you were interested, I’ve got a few different tint xm-l’s and driver’s in a few flavours from mild to wild. You’d get that pretty quick if you fancied. :slight_smile:

ZY-T08 is a good light for the price and pretty easy to mod if desired.
Better runtime than in C8 and more pleasant body shape because of parallel batteries.

Sounds interesting :slight_smile:

Let me know what sort of price

I know the OP has already ordered, but I was bored and decided to do some beamshots.

Manual mode, 1/20 at F/2.8, ISO 800, daylight white balance. They look pretty close to what I saw with my eyes. The shop window is about 20m away.

Mag with Malkoff XP-G drop-in:

Xintd C-8 XM-L T6 3C:

Mag with Malkoff SSC P7:

Bottom line: the C-8 has more lumens, more lux, better tint, is smaller and cheaper. The Mag has an advantage in runtime, and makes a better club.

Gords1001

Could you please send me the info on the Mod to the T08?? I just ordered 2 more of these lights and want to see mod one!!

Thanks

I just came in from playing with some new toys and some old faves.

Hands down (my best current) best pocketable thrower (even over my fave SF M8 w one battery) is my modded C8. Tuned it up w some new batteries from Kumabear. Outshone some new U2 drop ins, plus the M8, and the M3 U2 head from SF.

I do love the look and feel of those two large head SF, nice machining and finish, but they don’t seem to be driven very hard.

Plus I was playing some w some new 12v E27 base LEDs for my power outage/camping outfit. Different tints, different draws, different styles of bulbs, different outerbulbs. Very instructive. Not ready to bring on the zoombies, just yet. Have to work on my weaponry some.

Get me a good source of apple shine… then I am ready.

Or. Maybe just another good pocket thrower?! Ideas on the budget level?

As you say, the C8 is pretty amazing for a pocketable light. The only lights I have that out-throw it are much larger. I just got a Convoy L2, which is probably similar to your SF M8. The L2 measures at about twice the lux of the C8, but it is bigger and less handy. The C8 also beats a little 10W Boxer HID that was previously my best thrower. To get a pocketable thrower better than the C8, you’d probably have to go with an aspheric optic, which I don’t have any experience with. Personally, I’m not that fond of pencil beams anyway.

I just realized that my increasingly porous memory let me down again. The Malkoff in the last shot isn’t an XM-L, it is a P7 SSC. And, frankly, it looks a little sick. It is a 6D mag with Powerex D-size NIMH cells that are a 4-5 years old, so it may not be at its best.

Post edited accordingly.

Have been increasingly tempted by upgrading a great old 4 cell -but the drop-in cost and the need to invest more funds into non alkaline batteries (and another potential pathway to support $$$ w new toys…!) and related costs have just prevented me so far.

For the time being, picking up the old (and good) zenon lamps that I collected and still use a little bit will be enough.

Not tired of not having to buy those pricey, short lived CR123 batteries - kind of miss some of those powerful little lights though.

Done the resistor mod on the T08 :slight_smile: it’s made a big difference .

Think I’ve got the bug now, just Can’t decide what to order so I can have a go at modding.

Thought about the m10

Any suggestions ?, nothing to sensible though :bigsmile:

Build one

That’s an interesting thread, think I’ll give it a go

Best do a list :slight_smile:

My mt-g2’s arrived today, damm their big! It works well with an xm-l though :slight_smile: