Making a "Dummyloop" a Dummy AA Battery, easy mod

Eneloop & Dummyloop

d1

For a long time I have wanted one (or more) dummy AA NiMH Batteries. Well I finally went ahead and tried making one.

It started as some 1/2" Nylon Rod (Drillspot) and some Copper ground wire (Lowes).

D2

It was really simple to do. I just drilled a 5/32 hole through the Nylon rod. Then I took a small square piece of 0.010" flat copper sheet and soldered a piece of the copper ground wire to it. All I needed to do then, was to drive the copper rod into the Nylon rod and round off the copper sheet, to fit the nylon. Just a little trimming and sanding. Then I cut off the copper rod, so there was a tip and I rounded and smoothed it all.

It's a done deal.

d3

d4

It is not perfectly centered. It's all by hand, but it works!

d5

Dummyloop!

EDIT: The resistance reading is 00.3 on my $7 meter.

Carry on...

Great idea and nicely done. I can do this at home. I might try hammering out the negative end to enlarge it instead of soldering a seperate piece on. Probably depends on how malleable the copper I get is though. Just a thought.

Nice work!

Very nice Old Lumens, thanks a lot for sharing!

Dummy batteries are a useful thing to have around, I’ve either used them or wished I had one around quite a few times. So what exactly are you going to use this for, if I can ask?

I think you were just itchin to try out your new drill press.

If you put the copper wire in a vise, (leave about 1/4" sticking above the vise) and heat the wire till it is red hot, then let it cool, you should be able to use a small hammer to lightly tap it into a flat.

As soon as you tell me how the heck to do that, I will jump on it. I don't think I have the resources and for sure I don't have the knowledge. If someone wants to test this, I would gladly send it out.

Hint,

Hint,

Hint...

There are times I want to only use 5AA instead of 6AA or 7AA instead of 8AA. It's also good if someone wants to use a 14500 in a 2AA light.

What multimeter do you have OL?

Well, I am quickly finding out that the drill press is not accurate, nor tight enough for stuff like this. I drilled this by hand after throwing two of them out, after drilling with the drill press. The press will drill at an angle and I still do not know why for sure. I suspect that the part I am drilling moves in the vise when it is tightened in the vertical position, but it does not move in the vise when it is tightened in the horizontal position. That’s probably because there is so much more surface area, on the part, in the horizontal than in the vertical.

I may go back to drilling everything by hand and save the press for firewood, when it turns cold out. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made it for boring out maglites and as long as it will do that, it’s useful for something. :expressionless:

Here a link on how to do it is.

With the meter set at the "200" setting, the Resistance reading is 00.3

Resistance should be VERY low on what appears to be a 10 gauge a copper wire that short.

look above you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scaru, take a similar piece of wire and try…
I don’t see any need to measure, it is very little resistance.

I used the AAA to AA adapter like that connecting the poles, for my needs is ok but sux near your cool work with copper soul :slight_smile:

“200 setting”?? None of my meters have a range setting for resistance (ohms). Just for giggles, using a Fluke 87 III, I got 000.5 ohms on a solid aluminum 16340 dummy cell (shrink wrapped).

If I had the bucks for a Fluke, I would buy something else, like flashlights. LOL

I have a Sperry DM-210A and on the Ohms side, the settings are 2M, 200K, 20K, 2K and "200". All the settings read 0 ohms except the 200 setting, which reads 00.3

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Old Lumens - Sorry. Momentary lapse of reason on my part. All 3 of my meters are made by Fluke (even my 23 year old Fluke 73) and I wasn’t thinking about real “budget” meters. DUH!

Not an issue.

The wire I used fits tight in a 5/32” hole, so I assume probably 8ga rather than 10ga. The wire is soldered to the plate, but it’s a tiny amount of solder, just a “film” of solder. I don’t like gobbing solder on. I would assume the junk meter cannot be accurate, but really I don’t care. It’s solid copper and it’s the best conductor I have, so I’m happy it will work just fine, with little resistance.

That is way to high. You must short the probe wires first and either press a "REL" button (This will automatic subtract the initial reading) or remember the value, then you can measure the wire and subtract the initial reading from it.

It would expect 0.0 on your meter.

50 mm of Ø 4mm copper has about 0.00007 ohm

The dummy battery looks good.