Makita ni-cd problem please help

So 1 of my 2 Makita PA09 9.6v 1,3ah Ni-Cd battery packs does charge but really fast and empties real quick.
I can charge it, it will work but not long and the next morning it has no power anymore.

I tried discharging and recharging it 5 times but nothing changed.
It is like the battery thinks it is a 100mAh pack instead of a 1300mAh :slight_smile:

I read something about putting it in a freezer overnight, does this work?
It can be taken apart with ease ( just 3 screws)

What can I do?

time to rebuild.those are ancient.

Cant say over there but Amazon and Ebay list new aftermarket tool packs at bargain prices. Some are great and some are junk so be careful buying these. The right ones are actually cheaper than a rebuild with the same good cells but most will do OK for home use. Those drills are good tools but rather outdated now so maybe just toss it and get something better? Today’s best cordless tools are magnitudes better than the old stuff :wink:

Phil

It is only 2.5 years old and Makita only has 2 years of guarantee on their batteries. :rage:

But what about putting the batt in the freezer overnight?
I’m new to Ni-Cd batts

The freezer won’t do much. You can open it and measure the voltage of every cell after you charged the pack. Very often there is just one bad cell in the whole pack. I had such a faulty battery pack and charged and discharged the single bad cell a few times with my standard battery charger (I used wires to extend the contacts).

Time for the batteries to be replaced.

When I bought my Makita Battery-Drill, I didn’t look on the batteries - they worked fine.
After 3 years, I had exactly the same as yoiu do, no charge and high self-discharge.

I converted one of my batteries from 2.6Ah NiCd to 5Ah LiPo - and while I did that, I noticed, that the batteries has already been 2 years old when I bought the drill - somewhere on the battery there is a date-code.

Please don’t buy cheap replacements - on the high-discharge side, you shouldn’t be a cheapo.
Write to Makita and tell them that you are dissapointed, that the batteries are dead after just 2.5 years - maybe they will sgive you a replacement

The freezer works for a short while but sooner or later will go back to its original condition. If you decide to freeze make sure batteries are brought back to room temperature before charging.I have switched all my power tools to rigid from home depot because of the lifetime warranty on the tool and battery. But that might not work for you because of your location.

Took the pack apart and tested all 8 batts and 6 are 1.3v and 2 are 1.2v making it 10.2v yet the drill does not turn??

One or more batteries could possibly have a major voltage drop under load

You should test them with a load. (a 2 Ohm resistor for example, a car headlight bulb perhaps)
That will probably show which ones are bad.

When the batteries are old or damaged their voltage drop under load is extremely large, and they will provide nearly no current, far from enough to turn a drill.
You should see the voltage drop if you use the multimeter while you try to run the drill.

Yep resting voltage is not a good indicator of a cell health.

Is it possible to just hook up a 12v lead acid battery to the plus and negative poles of the Makita drill?

Or a 220v to 12v adapter even?

yes, but 12v may be too much for the motor, or it may take it just fine. the only way to find out is to try.
do you know what size of the cells you have? are those sub C? AA, 4\5 sub C?
if 12v is ok you can use computer power supply, you need about 20 amps, 300w supply should do just fine, assuming motor will not burn out from extra voltage.

It’s shot, period. No freezer, no ZAP, and no refresh cycling or anything else you can cobble up is going to fix it. Won’t happen.

The internal resistance has gone WAY up, and some of the cells are near dead. Unloaded voltage checking will tell you almost nothing. Unloaded voltage readings off NiXX is almost useless.
You can let it sit until the weakest cells go dead. Then you know what the worst ones are. You can replace those. Then the other cells will go dead.

No way around it, replace the pack or replace the tool.

At this point I turn mine into Li-on packs and recycle the old ones. You will need HIGH DISCHARGE cells, and it would be best if you learn now to make a BALANCED pack and get a charger with balancing capability. That’s a whole different discussion.

They look like 4\5 sub C, I have this 12v 2Ah adapter.
The drill needed 9.6v and 1.3Ah

8 cells x 1.2v (nominal) = 9.6v.
8 x 1.5v (charged) = 12v. It’s a 12v drill and will be fine. If you go Li-on you want to go 3s.

Why do you want to hook up a 12v battery or a power supply? Might as well get a corded drill.

These are excellent for cordless tools:

VTC5 http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_357766.html

or these, which cost less and have a little less capacity:

VTC4 http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_193095.html

They can handle 30 Amperes. :slight_smile:

If you’re in a hurry buy them here:

Because I have a cordless drill and an adapter thats why :smiley: