Manker E02II with red emitter?

Normal threads.

Thanks! Glued :cry:

On the other forum, Vinh Nguyen is selling E02 II’s with your LED of choice. Red is one option.

Tear Down: Manker E02 old version

Interesting. He’s using XPE2 Red:
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/manker-e02vn-ii-you-pick-led-limited-run

I wonder why XPE2 Red was chosen…

CREE XP-E2 Photo Red 650-670nm

Datasheet

I have a few of the earlier Sofirn C01R’s with this emitter:

Forward Voltage at 350mA:
2.05 (typical)
2.5V (max)

Yes :frowning:

It needed quite a bit of force, actually I said strap wrench but I used a lever and rope coiled on the tube (and heat).

That’s good to know, so it can probably by poped up at the expense of the TIR optic.

How does the press fit process work?

Does Manker glue the TIR in and then snap the stainless steel bezel into place? Is everything just glued in?

I’m thinking of drilling a small hole in the TIR and then applying some heat to the body while using a pick to pull the TIR out.

If you are willing to sacrifice the TIR, drill a small hole right under the edge of the bezel and pry it up. First, id recommend tryin freezing the bezel with an inverted can of co2 to shrink it. Act fast before it transfers to the aluminum.

Thanks! I was going to try to drill through the centre. I guess it’s easier to get leverage by drilling near the edge. :slight_smile:

I drilled a few holes into the TIR and used circlip pliers to pull the TIR out because the bezel is press fit:

View post on imgur.com

I drilled a little too far:

I also tried using a strap wrench to remove the tube but it didn’t move:

I’ll try to use a hair dryer to heat up the glue and remove the tube next…

I swapped a deep red XPE2 into a thrunite TH20. The lower Vf seems to mess with the ramping function. Is there a way with a resistor to virtually raise the Vf of the Deep Red LED? Like soldering a SMD resistor to the + or - lead on the board?

TIR measurements:
11.7mm outer circle
10.2mm inner circle, textured bit
0.7mm textured bit
0.8mm bezel* bit
1.5mm textured bit and bezel* bit
6.7mm height
3.0mm LED dome width
1.9mm LED dome depth

I used some vise grip locking pliers and a few pieces of rubber to unscrew the head. It didn’t take much force to break the glue.

The teeth of the locking pliers cut the rubber slightly. Some other material may be better to use with rubber so that it doesn’t get sliced up under pressure and damage the tube of a flashlight.

The driver board is held down with a single screw. I unscrewed it and then pulled the whole board out using some pliers without much force.

There isn’t much thermal paste.

It looks like it’ll be tricky to swap the emitter. Perhaps I can cut a small piece of aluminium and balance the board on that to only heat up the LED.

There are no solder blobs holding the two boards together.

You might be able to pull the board with the pad for the battery down and use an angled screwdriver to pull the board out without breaking the TIR optic. Perhaps the TIR could be pushed outward.

I gave this a go with my black Manker E02II NW.

Album:

The board lifted out by wedging one half of some straight tweezers between the board and the head. I repeated the process on the opposite side of the board to lift it evenly.

I tried pushing the TIR optic out with angled tweezers but I bent them.

There’s a little bit more glue in the way on this black E02II.

The TIR optic is sitting over the LED dome. If the TIR isn’t removed and you manage to get the screw out, then there’s a risk of snapping the switch off when pulling it out against the TIR. TIR may need to be pushed out with some kind of hard plastic etc and then the screw removed.

Hopefully this is helpful for others. I won’t proceed with modifying my black E02II. I like it how it is. I will continue with the red emitter swap on the red E02II though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I managed to damage the driver board. It only turns on and off on Turbo mode. :person_facepalming:

Thanks for documenting this process. It seems much more difficult to get this E02 II variant apart than the E02 model. Destroying the TIR optic to be able to get at the screw makes it easier, but I like your idea of removing the board with the battery pad and then pushing the TIR up from the inside. I am going to do some searching for a replacement TIR optic and will let you know if I find something that works.

Here’s my e02ii emitter swap on r/flashlight.

Short version: I drilled half way into the TIR and put a screw in the hole to pull out the TIR and bezel. I used a soldering iron for the emitter reflow.

Thanks Tim! Your teardown documentation was super helpful.