Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

I asked maureenjobob and they re-listed it. It is item # 230611499853

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304187135&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't know if my drill will hold a half-inch shank though. Seems big.

[quote=brted]

I don't know if my drill will hold a half-inch shank though. Seems big.

[/quote]

I believe the standard max size for most corded/cordless drills is 1/2". I used an old crummy DeWalt, until it broke, then went back to a Ryobi. You know Ted, seeing as you live only a few hours away, next time you come up to Charleston give me a yell... We'll knock out a dozen of these.

It fit on my old, used/abused DeWalt, just barely but it will fit. I wish I had taken the time to see something like this. I paid much more for mine and the local True Value.

paidtoomuchFoy

Thanks for the offer. It would be neat to see the Match Werks. Our family used to go to Isle of Palms sometimes, but lately we've been doing vacations in Florida.

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately that seller will not ship to Canada. I've also discovered my drill will only handle a 3/8" shank. But I'm going to do this! It's just going to take me a little longer...

Grab one while they have them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-32-SILVER-DEMING-DRILLS-W-1-2-SHANK-/260731105863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4c8f247#ht_500wt_922

This is a good price fellas. Your local hardware store is gonna getcha fer double or more.

foypaidthroughtheyouknowwhatFoy

Thanks Match for a easy mod..

JohnnyMac,

Thanks for the link for the drill bit. I was going to the pawn shop for the Bit..

Thanks Match for a easy mod..

JohnnyMac,

Thanks for the link for the drill bit. I was going to the pawn shop for the Bit..

Ordered it on the 26th and it was in my mailbox on the 29th. Best service ever!!

Quick question, Match...

I have a couple XPG lenses as well as the 3xXPG emitter & lens on order from LEDSupply.com. Am I correct in assuming that the lens height of the Carclo lens is the same as the modified minimag lens? I'm thinking it would be best to just wait until my order from LEDSupply arrives before I drill out my minimag head. Would hate to drill too deep now for the carclo lens later.

Johnny

JohnnyMac,

I don't have a lens in front of me now to measure, but the carclo triple lens is shorter than the stocker. I'd wait till you get your lens before drilling (measure twice, cut once).

Also, the 3xpg does generate quite a bit of heat...not sure what you plan on using for the pill, but I wouldn't use a cut down P60 brass one...

I want to make sure that i drill down correct. Do i measure 16.6 to 17.00 mm from point A or point B in the pictures.

[quote=Match]

JohnnyMac,

I don't have a lens in front of me now to measure, but the carclo triple lens is shorter than the stocker. I'd wait till you get your lens before drilling (measure twice, cut once).

Also, the 3xpg does generate quite a bit of heat...not sure what you plan on using for the pill, but I wouldn't use a cut down P60 brass one...

[/quote]

Thanks, Match! I'll wait then until I get my carclo lenses before any drilling. Your tutorial said "20mm carlco lenses are almost a perfect fit for the minimag head, so if one was dissatisfied with the modded stock reflector, one of these could be used" but in actuality it would be too late (the hole would be too deep) and you would have to modify a whole new minimag at this point. I just wanted clarification in case I got itchy fingers and jumped the gun on the mod out of impatience.

As for the 3xXPG, I wasn't planning on using it this time around on the minimag mod. I may use it on the latheless copper torch, however, but mainly ordered it just to save on shipping later and to have it on hand.

Cheers,
Johnny

It really depends on what heatsink you'll be using. If it's a P60 base, they tend to run a little longer, so you'll want to use the "B" measurement. Again, best thing is to measure your optics, heatsink, and lens combined to get the correct depth. If you're unsure, you can always cut shallow then do a fit test to determine how much more you need. Cut and fit, cut and fit....it's tedious, but it will help prevent overdrilling.

I think that I will be ordering a dropin to update (and Fix) a mini mag that has been nothing but a dust collector.

One question, does anyone know of a XM-L equivalent of the 0.8V-4.2V XPG R5 drop in that Match linked to in the OP?

I understand that an XM-L at full bore (3.0 amps) will create more heat than this host can handle properly, I am after the efficiency gains that it brings.

I put together five of these this afternoon for gifts. After reading this post (about 10 times) I decided to give it a shot. I purchased a handfull of 3 mode XP-G drop-ins and a couple of single mode drop-ins (I have a few Nite Ize IQ switches hanging around), got a 25/32" bit from Amazon ($14 to my door) and went to work this afternoon.

I was feeling a bit inadequate at first since the first one took me about an hour! Much of that time though was spent finding the best way to hold the head for drilling, how much material needed to come off the top of the body and surprisingly getting the reflector correct. Once I had that one done and everything worked fine the rest was easy, it took less than 1:15 to do the next four.

I bought 5 extra drop-ins because I know I'll have friends asking for them once I start handing these out but maybe I'll keep a few. I have one of the first generation (?) Mini-Mag AA LED lights with the deep reflector, I wonder if I could make one of these using the long head and smo, deep reflector. I also think I'll try cutting a body down for a single 14500.

As you can tell, I'm new to modding but I can see this becoming a problem.

Thanks again!

Edit:Just completed a run time test, I got 2.5 hours on 2600 mAH NiMH batteries with this drop in http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=RB&s=10&id=113 (advertised as 320 lms) on high, not bad for the old Mini-Mag.

Itinifni,

Have you had a chance to try modding the LED mini yet? I have one I'd like to start on and I'm curious how well it turned out. Like you I'm also thinking about cutting it down and using a 14500. Probably go with an XR-E R2 just to see how well the little guy will throw with the deep reflector.

Thanks,

Tony