Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

Hi Tony,

I've been traveling this week and haven't had the time. Before I left I ordered 5 different 20mm TIR lenses from ledsupply, when I get home I'm going to try them and see how they compare to the smo or sputtered Mag reflector. I probably won't get to the Mag LED until after Christmas, let us know if you meet with success.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I ended up down to the last 3 threads in the head before I got the pill in far enough for the reflector to seat. Other than that and needing a longer spring it worked out ok though. Just waiting on a 14500 to ship and I'll cut it down.

Tony

Have you given it a try with a couple of AAs yet, I'm curious about the throw.

When I got home tonight the Carclo lenses had arrived. It's going to take a little playing around the get them to fit properly, as Match said, they're a little smaller than the stock lens and won't self-center but it did try a quick check holding the lens in place by hand. I go the 12.4 clear, 14.3, 21.2 and 31.1 frosted and 28.8 ripple lenses. The 12.4 still isn't as tight as I'm looking for but it's not bad. The 31.1 would be great for close-up use.

Let me know when you get it up and running.

Matt

I've got it up and running (bored the tailcap and stuffed in 3 AAA cells for now). They must be sagging really bad because it's only pulling .4a at the tail and isn't very bright but man does it look like it'll throw! I've got an AW protected 14500, a glass lens, and a Terralux clicky on the way. Probably have to make some kind of spacer ring for the bezel as I'm out of room to sink the pill any deeper and I've had to raise the reflector some to get it to focus. I'll have a better idea how it's going to do when I can get a good 1.5a or so to the emitter but so far it looks really promising.

I am getting ready to try my hand at one of these mods and was wondering has anybody tried using a Nite-Ize tail cap switch? I have their IQ switch, but I am not sure it can safely handle the currents involved in this mod. My R5 drop-in pulls about 1 amp from a lab power supply at 3 volts.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a Nite-Ize, 5 mode IQ switch that I tried. I purchased one single mode XP-G drop in to use with the Nite-Ize, all the rest were 3 mode XP-Gs. It seemed to work fine but I'm not sure it was quite as bright on high mode as with the regular Mag tailcap, it could easly be me though.

I'm getting 800mA at the tailcap with NiMH batteries.

Ok, I admit it, I'm a little obsesive. Since first reading this thread I made 14 or 15 of these, I'm running out of people to give them to. Most have been XP-Gs but a few have been XR-Es (looking for more throw). I've tried most of the Carlco XP-G and XR-E optics as well as spent a lot of time with the stock reflector. Time well spent in my book but I thought I was done until today.

I had an unexpected few hours on my hands, no new toys, what to do? Still had a few of these lights on my hands and had been meaning to see if I could cut one down to a shorty so here it is.

It's a first attempt and as always I learned a few things and have a few still to learn. Despite my best attempt, I damaged the coating near the tailcap. I also didn't get the threads straight due to a few inadaquacies on my part. I don't have drill bits large enough to open up the body for either threading or the larger step for the tailcap O ring. I had to use the dremel/micrometer every step of the way. Bigger issue was that neither of my tap/die sets had a tool large enough to fit the correct tap forcing me to use an open end wrench on the tap. If you've ever tapped threads you know how tough that is. In the end all is well, the tailcap can be removed and reinstalled without any problem if a little ugly.

So here's a few pics of my new light with it's big brother.

Big brother has a smooth, mag reflector, the little guy has a Carlco medium frosted optic. I really like the medium frosted or medium ripple optics for this build. This Match build can put out a lot of light, but can't be much of a thrower. At least I couldn't find a way and I tried every option I could find.

And here are the beam shots. This is my first time posting pics on BLF and first feble attempt at beam shots. I used a very old Sony camera (the one I normaly use in the shop or garage when dissassembling something). When I have something better to photograph I'll pull out the Nikon.

2AA, Duracell primarys, SMO mag reflector, Solarforce 3 mode XP-G

1AA, Tenergy NiMH, Carlco medium frosted TIR, same Solarforce XP-G

I know I can get the threads straight with a few more mistakes. I need to figure out how JohnnyMac cuts the body down without damaging the exterior (lathe?) but now I realize I haven't tried an XM-L. I thought I was done and could move on...

Matt

Nice job, Matt! In shorty mode the Mag is one of the sweetest lights I've ever held in my hand. An example of simplicity and elegance.

I do mine entirely by hand with just hand tools, a drill, and an expensive selection of demilling bits purchased specifically for this purpose. My first tailcap was just a hair crooked but functional but subsequent ones are perfect. I just takes patience and a keen eye for centering and leveling your bit angles. Oh what I can only dream of doing if I only had a lathe!

Johnny

Nicely done Matt! Lacking the proper tools to rethread the body I ended up making the terralux clicky a press fit. I also swapped the XR-E out for a direct drive XM-L. Then the wife got a hold of it and it now resides in her purse. Going to have to put together a second one for myself.

Tony

Any source for a replacement glass lens for the mini-mag? Or are you all using the stock plastic lens?

-Garry

Garry,

Lighthound sells glass lenses for $1.99.

Thanks! Found 'em.

-Garry

Oboy, gotta try this with a Brinkmann 2AA and 3AA, which come with a tailswitch.

So, I guess a lot of people modded their minimags by now.. any new stuff we should know about? "Perfect" recommendations or should I still go with the solarforce XPG dropin? How does it compare to the same dropin running on 18650?

What exactly is that carlco frosted lens in Itinifnis post?

I can't comment on the Solarforce drop-in. I haven't even done this mod yet (on my "to do" list). However, I wanted to point you to this post in Match's 1D Mag mod where he recommended a specific driver for 1 to 3 Alk/NiMh cells or 1 Li-Ion cell. It is only 1 mode though. Could be a good driver choice if you would like flexibility between 2 AA's/NiMh's and 1 14500 (with a dummy cell if you don't cut it down). I wish there were a 3-mode version though.

-Garry

Not exactly but a clue;

http://www.carclo-optics.com/

It’s a TIR lens made by Carclo with a wider beam spread combined with a frosted finish to give a smooth floody beam.

http://www.ledsupply.com/10140.php

They are available for in a number of styles and are perfect for the minimag application when using Match's p60 mod.

http://www.ledsupply.com/carclo-optics-xpg.php

Well, I didnt really want to order from DX, but it seems theres not much of a choice..

I want to mod 2 minimags, which carlco lens would I use? 20mm.. but narrow frosted, wide frosted, medium frosted? I guess I will lose some lumens.. but that beamshot just looks sweet.. no need for the reflector then, right?

I think I should go with XPG.. in neutral white I guess (not blue, not orange)? Any better buy than the one Match recommended in the first post? Also, where will I get an empty pill? That link to KD is dead.

Thank you guys :)

NightCrawl, are you in the US? Illumination Supply has some 20mm Carlco optics now and they have empty P60 drop-ins. Here are empty P60 drop-ins at DX. Here is the KD empty drop-in. Shiningbeam has a nice Neutral White XP-G R5.

Hope that helps.

-Garry

NightCrawl, the Carlco optics from ledsupply are $1.25 each so I ordered most all of them to try out (wish I had ordered one of the elliptical). You don't need the lens holder. The 20mm TIRs fit right into the mini-mag head with or without using a lens. I place the TIR in the bezel and use a GID "O" ring between the TIR and head for centering (adds a cool touch when the light is turned off). These TIRs will work with either XP-Gs or XM-Ls. I like the wide frosted or wide ripple for close up work.

I've made quite a few now using Solar-Force P60 drop ins, XR-Es, XP-Gs and XM-Ls. The low voltage driver XR-Es and XP-Gs are nice if you're going to cut the body down to a single cell because they will work with a single Alkaline (not recomended!), NiMH or Lith-Ion. The XM-L requires a Lith-Ion if you go with a single battery.

Good luck.