Match's Mods: 3XP-G modded Mini-Maglite (version 2.0)

ok well at least use it for the triple then, and let people build em themselves lol

i wish i had access to a machine lol

Oh, well, 100 is a bit over my budget.. I have to think what to do, and btw, I ask you a few questions that will be useful to other members too.

Is there any ultimatum.. I mean, a last date to request you one?

Can we use flame trustfire or is it too dangerous?

Do you have access to cheap IMR to sell with the light?

Which is the minimum voltage for the driver to turn on? Is it possible to use 2xAA, 2xNiMH, 2xNiZN, 2xLithium or 1x14500 in an emergency? (not in high, of course)?

Which are the current draws of the low and mid modes?

How much time (aprox) can it stay in high before it jumps to low due to overheating?

[quote=ezeqdb]

Is there any ultimatum.. I mean, a last date to request you one?

[/quote]

Not really. Although I plan on moving on to other projects and don't know if I'd come back to this one.

[quote=ezeqdb]

Can we use flame trustfire or is it too dangerous?

[/quote]

On high, the current draw is @ 1.62a, which is above the rating of the trustfires. Would they work? Yup. Could it shorten the life of them? Most likely. Actually, a battery Guru like Old4570 may know the answer to this better than I.

[quote=ezeqdb]

Do you have access to cheap IMR to sell with the light?

[/quote]

Probably not any different than anyone else. I just recently purchased a set of IMR 14500's from puresmoker.com Their cost is $7.50 each, so if you needed some, just add $15 to the total.

[quote=ezeqdb]

Which is the minimum voltage for the driver to turn on? Is it possible to use 2xAA, 2xNiMH, 2xNiZN, 2xLithium or 1x14500 in an emergency? (not in high, of course)?

[/quote]

No. With this current driver, you're pretty much stuck with using 2x Li-ions. I just tried it with a couple of NiZn, and it would not turn on. On the other hand, the driver I used in v1.0 will work on 2 trustfire, NiZn, or lithium primaries (and be quite bright too!). The origional driver actually works really well....I just wanted to try one with multi-mode and a little more current.

[quote=ezeqdb]

Which are the current draws of the low and mid modes?

[/quote]

Low = 110ma, Mid = 510ma, High = 1.62a All measured at the tailcap.

[quote=ezeqdb]

How much time (aprox) can it stay in high before it jumps to low due to overheating?

[/quote]

As long as it's being held, it'll stay in high till the batteries run down. The heatsink is definately doing it's job. Think of the thermal protection more as a failsafe if it's accidently left on and set down.

I plan on shooting another video of the two torches tonight. It may be easier to see the difference.

Ok...as stated, here are two videos: One inside with the lights, and one outside. Keep in mind two things: One - it was really windy outside, and two...I'm terrible at shooting videos.

Inside talking: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

Outside beamshots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXDrPYGutbE

Starting to prefer neutrals hehehhehe!

Video was Great.. no problems there!

Will you please let us know what driver you used... Im really struggling to find one that I can use for my spare sst-50 that doesn't have strobe rubbish. Dont want a strobe for an underwater crabbing light, but need lower modes.

[quote=okwchin]

Will you please let us know what driver you used...

[/quote]

The latest one I'm using is a version of SKU: S005296 from kaidomain. Just know that even though they say 17mm...it's actually 19mm...at least the ones I received. I was able to find a local source that carries them here so I don't have to wait a month. e-lectronics.net which is located in Bellingham, WA.

Thanks!! Thats awesome. Never knew they had this at KD. They have all these other ones that are sold out, soo, ill blame it on the difficult searches, and probably my bad search terms. haha

Another impressive mod. I thought triples were only for larger hosts.

Thanks for the nice comment, and welcome Bla2000!

The more I play with the triples, the more I like em. Their small size and small optic package makes them ideal for creative modding. Also, there's nothing saying that it has to be run on full power all the time. I've been using the red one on medium for the nightly dog walk.

Not sure where to put it, but I just received these drivers, and their pretty neat, but their not the most efficient (get seriously hot within 3 mins, cant hold onto it) (about 70-80% efficiency), and secondly they generate a large initial current, which is not good for switching mechanisms (it welds the contacts together every time). Practically there is significant sparking when connecting power, so normal switches will not last long. The use of the head contact as a twisty is a good move and is really the only way id want to be mechanically switching this driver board. I wouldn't want to think about using any normal switches for this driver.

I would like to purchase one of your works of art (a black one) if possible. :bigsmile:

Actually, I'm considering selling the red version as pictured/video'd above. I'm getting too many projects going, and this one just sits there in its case unloved. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

I'm totally loving my XM-L modded mini! This first one is extremely floody with the Carclo optics. It lights up the entire back yard with almost zero hotspot. These mini's have quickly become my favorite lights. A buddy of mine is checking to see if he has a tap the correct size to match the threads on the stock tail cap so I can cut down the body to a single AA size. Right now I'm using a 14500 + a dummy battery.

To keep an interesting tread alive; Use parts of different China flashlights to make a AA one?

Match, sorry to drag up an old thread, I currently have a mini mag with a ruptured alkaline jammed in the head end…… Looking at this, I can cheerfully knock everything out from the tailcap (having removed the head), I think I’ve tracked down some 7/8 bar stock, so all I really need is some carlco optics, a 3 xpg 20mm star, 8.4a driver and some time and I’m away….

Anything I missed on the shopping list? Do you have a favorite 14500? Since I don’t have any I will have to get some for this, so I may as well get suitable ones. I’m in England so don’t worry about suppliers, just brands, I’m guessing sennybor or Panasonic for the current and would you go protected or will they not fit?

Since the host is currently dead, worst case scenario is it gets binned, but this looks doable and a fun project. For lapping I’m guessing emry cloth then wet and dry? Anything I missed?

Actually I think he used a normal driver because he wired the LEDs up parallel. Also, I havent seen a 3s driver with that little amps output..

Gords1001,
The driver I used was an 8.4v input / 3amp output. The leds are wired in parallel. Off of 2 14500’s this allows for a moderate tailcap current that doesn’t tax the little cells too bad. As far as cells, I use AW IMR 14500’s but have also had good success with the black trustfire flames. Looks like you’re set!

Hey, Gords! What driver did you get for it?

I didn’t yet, i’m assembling a shopping list for next weekend when I get paid, I want to fix my minimag! :bigsmile: