MAX9725 inline audio amplifier

I started listening to audio books on my commute to work

There is a standard 3.5mm input jack on the radio in the van as AUX input, however turning my phone up to max I still have to crank up the radio to right at max for the audio to be loud enough to be heard

Thus my endeavor to build a very small, self powered inline audio amplifier to boost the signal, then I can run my phone turned way down and the radio way down and still have plenty of volume available if I want to blast me some of my tunes

Either way here it is
Top:

Bottom:

OSHPark permalink

Battery Holder AAA SMD

MAX9725B IC AMP AUDIO .025W STER 12TQFN”:MAX9725BETC+ Analog Devices Inc./Maxim Integrated | Integrated Circuits (ICs) | DigiKey Marketplace
MAX9725 Datasheet

C1 and C2 capacitors:
CAP CER 0.47UF 25V 10% X7R 0805

C3 thru C5 Capacitors:
CAP CER 1UF 10V 20% X7R 0805

CONN JACK STEREO 3.5MM SMD

3D Render
Top:

Bottom:

Very simple design, only a few components, and it’s small, plus inexpensive…more or less 2.5” long and .5” wide

Took me a while to finally get the 12TQFN pinouts to match up to the schematic, but after I triple checked everything is matched up

Sounds like the only problem is getting old grandpa!

Looks like a useful thingy (pre-amp?), actually I would like one for work at school (to allow a phone as input in a standard channel of the PA).

I guess as a pre amp, actually it’s supposed to be able to drive headphones, hopefully it won’t be “too much ” for the input

Ain’t that old CK :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,
Joined the forum just to comment. Found your PCB over at OSH Park.

I found a few other headphone amplifiers that were much bigger, more components, and of course… more expensive.

The fixed gain models makes a lot of sense. I did see the E model that has the feedback circuit. However, the idiot proof-ness of the fixed gain is much more appealing than having to put in a potentiometer, a knob… Then it has moving parts that wear out, etc. etc…

How long before you get your boards from OSH Park? Would love to order some bare boards, but wanted you to cut your teeth on the layout, before I do! :slight_smile:

Then to look for a case… something little bit longer than a lipstick case? You have any ideas there?

Good work! Keep it up! Gonna end up making a few, Christmas isn’t too far away, ya know. …

Now I’m gonna go stalk your other projects.

-Kyle

I have some on order, will order the components on payday…I should have the inline charge booster boards in soon, got the components already

I have a VERY busy week though, got a newborn coming home today , AND they are finally moving our house!

I also have a revision to the joule thief as well :slight_smile: (just haven’t uploaded it yet)

Oh yeah, I forgot, welcome to BLF : )

How’s the semi-newborn?

Any movement on this? Kid keeping you nice and extremely occupied?

-Kyle