Medford Praetorian Clone....

No need to apologize cpfdaniel. You asked a very good question. Not many people are familar with Aliexpress. I apologize if my response came across as a correction.

It’s scary to use their system at first, I accidentally ordered two Enlan EL-01D’s my first time and now have a user and a keeper, very close to doing the same with this but the vendor KnifeBase were quick to respond to my email saying one was ordered in error, I’d included a very cheap fake Spyderco, about $4, and had second thoughts and thought I had cancelled the order but it didn’t cancel - one email later and my mistake was rectified.
The clone has arrived, very pleased with the condition and I’ve logged into my account on AliExpress so the funds will be released to the vendor.
I like the system, so far it has been all good and uneventful for me.

Yeah, I have had good success using Aliexpress on over 20 transactions.

Like Ebay, you want to preferably use a vendor with a high star customer rating and some significant transactions under their belt….however, sometimes I will take a bit of risk and go with a new store that is offering some rock star pricing on goods,…probably at their cost or very near in order to get some initial positive feedback scores in.

It will be interesting to watch as Alibaba (parent of aliexpress) goes to IPO…initial public offering.

This is expected to be the largest new stock offering since facebook…and is a Chinese powerhouse equivalent of ebay, amazon and paypal bunched into one.

The thing that will be interesting to watch is if Aliexpress will be forced to crack down even harder on counterfeits.

Now that they will a “legitimate” and globally financed company….they may have to finally play by the rules of observing copyrights and crack down on the sales of products like these.

Heard a hefty thud on the floor this morning, thought it was some kind of catalogue being delivered but i was pleasantly surprised to find my MP clone instead.

This is one heavy, solid, meaty knife!

As usual i took it apart, gave it a clean & relubed the pivot, which is very well made.

After playing around with the knife for a while i got to thinking that it could do with some kind of flipper device as i had difficulty opening it with one hand.

I came up with this solution

I disassembled the knife again and ground out some small grooves from the blade choil area for fixing and mixed up some clear resin & silicone carbide powder and applied, moulding it to shape when it was still pliable.

The result - it works well, but there are two potential problems.

1 - After pressing the flipper the blade can be snapped into place with a strong flick of the wrist, but since it’s such a heavy knife you really need to keep a good grip or it can launch, as my foot nearly experienced.

2 - Good timing is also required to remove index finger from the flipper insert BEFORE flicking the blade out as i found out painfully, got a nasty little nick from not thinking about it properly.

I had a spare trit laying around so thought i’d do this with it and some glass glue

comparison to full size zippo

Conclusion - This is a quality, cheap, heavy and dangerous knife. I like it. :slight_smile:

When I gave one of these to a friend as a gift, he grinned to the ears and said: “This is a bad ass knife!”
:smiley:

Now that is a great idea, both the flipper and the Tritium.
I bought one of these not really expecting much in the way of quality. I have been very pleasantly surprised. The lock up is perfect, no play at all, the blade was sharp but a few passes on the Lansky crock stick sharpener made it even sharper and the blade is 8Cr13MoV so no problems with that. For the price this is a very nice knife, whoever made it is a good quality manufacturer, I’m thinking Fengli but I’m not sure.
Excellent value for money.

It’s a pity Tritium vials are so expensive, they keep getting pushed to the back of my - must buy - list, I’ve got some GlowInc GITD powder and some Devcon 2 hour epoxy though. J)

Yeah they are a bit expensive to buy at first but i usually justify it to myself by dividing the cost by how many years they last so £3-£8 divided by 10 or 12 is just pennies per year. That’s my excuse anyway :slight_smile:

If I only had the knife pimpers hand……

I think it would look cool to have Tritium beneath the knife cut out on the pocket clip.

Would look wicked to see that tiny knife lit up in the dark

A guy going by the name of Tofty is not only into making high amp clicky switches, he works with Tritium as well.

Any one going for the Brous Blades Reloader Clone from AliExpress? It looks good.

From here, $23
Video here-

Mine arrived a few days ago. The quality is quite good although the flipping action is not as good as the Enlan EL01. The handle is comfortable and I really like the deep carry pocket clip. Overall it has a much more usable design than the Medford.

I ordered one as soon as I saw the quality of the Medford so mine is on the way.

I ordered one after putting it off forever, it came today. It is a very nicely made knife fake or not. It actually shipped fairly quickly too, or so it seemed. Overall another happy customer.

Dangit - “Sorry, this item is no longer available!”

There are a few other sellers but they are a couple bux more.

I have no idea which knife or knives the last 5 posts are referring to.

Mine was thanking isti for his thoughts on the Brous copy, it and the Medford copy are still available on AliExpress but at a couple of dollars more from different vendors.

My Brous arrived today, very well made, phosphor bronze washers, lighter than the Medford flips open easily and has a good lock-up with no play even after slackening the pivot screw a touch to get it flipping properly, very sharp.
The G10 isn’t as grippy as some but well suited to the contours of the scales, very deep riding pocket clip as you can see -

Overall I’d recommend it, but get the Medford Praetorian clone if you can only have one, it’s the best made knife I’ve had for ages, the Brous isn’t as extremely overbuilt but it would be a great EDC where legal to carry.

Congrats on the new knife. Great looking. Deep pocket clip is nice. Just wish the knife makers would also make them black.