Memorial Day... A Day To Remember, A Day To Give Thanks

While you're enjoying your day off from work, drinking a cold beer, flipping burgers on the grill, watching the kids playing in the yard take a moment to remember the real meaning of the day.

Between the American Revolution and the current conflict in Iraq, more than 26 million men and women have served America in wartime. Nearly 900,000 of those who served never returned home. Memorial Day is a day to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice whilst serving their nation.

Memorial Day traces its origins to the days following the Civil War, when many people from the North and South decorated the graves of fallen soldiers with flowers.

Decoration Day, as it was then known, was first observed officially on May 30, 1868 after Commander John A. Logan announced "the 30th of May is designated as a day of memorial to those who died in defense of our country. Let no ravages of time testify to the present or to coming generations that we as a people have forgotten the cost of a free and undivided republic".

Thank you to everyone who served for there country. Today is your day, please enjoy it to it's fullest while the rest of us show our appreciation for the sacrifices you have made to make this the best country in the world.

Thank you for all you do!

Thanks to all who have served!

As a Vietnam Combat Veteran (1970-71), I'm proud to say I made a difference in spite of what anti-war protesters would tell you, assuming you gave them the time of day. I don't. I have nothing but love and respect for all of my brothers in arms, both past and present. Remember what Memorial day is really about and give thanks to those that made hard sacrifices for all of U.S. while you enjoy the Holiday weekend. Happy Memorial Day everybody. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! HOOYAH!!!

God bless all that have, all that do, and all who will serve our great nation. The same goes to the troops of our allies - may God bless you all and keep you safe.

PPtk

As a veteran I have to say that it is impressive how many people remember what this day is all about. I don’t really think it was always that way. Thanks to everyone who served and also to all of those who support and remember them. I am also thankful that gorann is not around for this post. I do miss him a little though.

wondering what gorann would have commented in this thread..

;)

Many thanks and much respect to all our members who serve or have served our great nation!

And for all you DID!

One of my favorite things I did as an assistant troop leader when my son was a scout was putting the flags on the graves for memorial day.

I and my family will never forget and we will always be thankful.

Freedom is Never Free !!