Microsoft Account Bypass Now Being Blocked During Setup

Another kick in the face from the OS Overlords.
MS has blocked out most all of the bypass tricks to create a local acct. and force you to use a Microsoft acct. on a system install or first boot on a newer W11 machine. Gotta get your info on the Cloud one way or another…
This probably hasn’t made it into on the shelf systems - yet.
This guys video shows one last way to do it.
Other methods anyone?
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

My Windows 10 machine pesters me about this regularly …
Let’s finish setting up your device
… which is a large part of why I haven’t upgraded.

Assuming one acquiesces to this nonsense on setup, any way to delete the credentials this process inserts that doubtlessly possess root administrator permissions?

There is a registry hack that used to stop this and the constant - upgrade to W11 - nonsense. Think there is a Group Policy setting also.
Lost the darned reference.
Don’t know of any way to delete the credentials But I’m not in the game anymore.
But once you have a local acct. that can be used to sign in vs the MS account.
All the Best,
Jeff

I don’t have Win11 but for Win10 installs I just disconnected the PC from the internet and the setup program let me create a local account. I would imagine that Win11 works the same but I definitely could be wrong.

The interesting question is if Microsoft will force you to use an account with them once you are connected to the internet.

2 Thanks

When Win10 goes EOL, I’m just going full time Linux. I don’t want my OS to come with a load of account-linked crap, especially when it’s stuffed full of adverts like Windows 11.

IIRC, in 11, only in the pro/enterprise versions, can’t for the bog standard home version any more.

10 pro does the ~72hr nagging to set up an account so I fully expect 11 pro to also demand one give MSFT remote root access.

1 Thank

Linux FTW. Ive been daily driving linux since 2015. Ive been running it on my servers since i started that hobby in 2013.

I got tired of windows 7 constantly deleting my nvidia drivers after each update in favor of “windows generic vga” drivers, so i switched. Im glad i made the switch when i did becuase windows has only gotten worse and more restricted while linux has improved, especially for gaming.

2 Thanks

Debian doesn’t. AND current stable is number 12, 1 better than the newest window$. Break the cycle. It’s time. Don’t let yourself be extorted by sw companies growing ever more evil.

Dunno what the fuss is unless I’m misunderstanding the post (which is likely lol)
You just create the MS account (with a load of made up doodah - just write it down somewhere in case you need it later lol), and then when it’s set up log out and put it on a local account. In my experience it’s been like that for a little while, done a few machines recently and just did the above to get around it.
However if they start forcing that issue, eg, you CAN’T do that…well…maybe time to jump ship if it bothers you a lot.

Is that from ‘now’ on wolfgirl? I only ask because the three I did in the last few of months or so all are on 11 home and they are all on local accounts, including the one I’m on now. (atually I did this one 5 months ago, just looked lol) Currently running 23H2

I always used pirated versions of Windows (FTW.)
I don’t think that they require a MicroSoft account, but I do have a MicroSoft account just in case I need one.
One of my PCs was acting a little funny, so I reinstalled the latest version of Windows 10 Enterprise on April 18th, and I didn’t input a MicroSoft account. :+1:

Yeah, this is a new thing with the latest W11 build.
The newer W10 build installs try hard to convince you that an MS account is the only way, but it’s still easy to get around that. Then it’s nag nag, nag, Upgrade to w11 - until you make the changes to stop that.
All the Best,
Jeff

Does this only apply to fresh installs of the latest W11, or does it apply to upgrading to/reinstalling the latest W11?

RC,
Don’t know for sure.
But I suspect an upgrade will keep all the current acct. info.
A reinstall, like to bare metal, if using the latest build, will have the local tricks blocked.
If you have an older install media, then the old workarounds should be OK.
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

OK, I haven’t done a fresh install in at least 15 years.
I think this problem probably won’t apply to me (even when I start using W11) because of the way I install Windows.
I never have to input a MicroSoft account, and MS doesn’t nag me to upgrade to W11 (with my W10.)
That last point might be because I use StopUpdates10, which is freeware for W7/8/8.1/10/11.
It allows you to disable Windows updates, so that you can update your Windows when (or if) you want to. :+1:

1 Thank

All you have to do is use https://temp-mail.org/ for the email, choose a password, then when the whole process is complete change to the local one. I don’t know if you guys know about these temp email sites, but they are a god send for non important signing up to stuff which you will never access again.
The only difference in this new release is you have to use a valid email rather than just typing anything in - but you just use tempmail for that, just make sure you keep the browser open for tempmail until you are all set up as it can be an issue accessing the emails sometimes if you close the browser, since obviously it’s temporary.
I guess in the future it will get worse and they’ll require a phone number… :neutral_face:
Tbh the ads in the start window for me is way worse…step too far if you’ve paid for it imo.

2 Thanks

G0OSE
Good to know.
For those not comfortable messing with the registry or the GPE -
Gibson - GRC - has a GUI to freeze updates.
I’ve not tried it, but Gibson has been around a long time, so I would assume it is legit. Be sure to read the info to understand what it does.
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

I haven’t used temp-mail.org and perhaps they have mitigations against this but your temp address could feasibly be reused and used to gain access to your account- and I’m under the impression that once connected to a win installation that account does provide pretty significant remote control capabilities. Yet another reason why online account shouldn’t ever be required by a desktop OS since annoyed users unaware of the implications might be setting up accounts with flawed security.

InControl looks very interesting.
It offers different features than StopUpdates10, but they both can stop Windows Updates, so people can choose whichever one appeals to them most depending on what they’re looking for. :+1:

EDIT:
Here’s the StopUpdates10 link for those that don’t want to do an internet search:

M03da, those temp mail sites never used to work effectively as they always had the same email for a long time before they switched to another, example I remember @sharklazers.com - they used every single variant they could I think, but by that time websites were wise to it and must have had some sort of block on that particular email address, but they have grown massively since then and every time I use it now it gives me a new email address as in the end bit - there are so many now websites can’t keep up with them lol! good thing for us, bad thing for spam feeding sign up sites etc.
Surprises me every time I post a link to temp email sites how few knew about them, the only thing you need to remember is never use them if you expect to get communications you actually want lol! I use them a lot for vouchers etc, you visit a site, it offers a 10% discount for signing up for emails on a pop up - use it get the 10% then next time use another and so on (clear cookies etc) - effectively 10% off each time - just use your regular email when actually ordering - never had it fail yet. :grin: