Mini Ultrafire C5 Upgrade to Cree XB-D mod.

Updated topic as this light is closer to the Ultrafire C5 and not C8)

This started out with a $ 2.50 dollar Ultrafire Mini-C5 from ebay. (The 703 model)

The host is nicely built for a sub-3 dollar light, it looks like a C8 style, but miniature in size, comes with a bright orange switch boot, a single AAA , single mode, plastic reflector, lens, plastic pill , tail clicky, and the usual eye-searing, migrain-blue tinted dim strawhat LED that is found in most of those $1 police lights found everywhere. also its looks and feels much better than the cheaper-looking 3w police lights with a better switch feel. ( and it tail stands )

a benefit here is that it comes apart easily, and has a unique locking ring ( the gold ring) that allows the body to adjust a little when i did the upgrade.

- My goal here was to give this little pocket light a better tint and more output, but not to the point of sacrificing more of the already short run times of usual single AAA lights have.

(Image #1)
In Stock form, the light carried a 0.28 amp load from a single Duracell Alkaline to the 3 or 4 lumen generic LED. I could have upgraded the driver to the 20-mode 7880 to give this light alot more output, but pulling 1 + amps from a AAA alkaline will give enough run time to take the trash out at night then its flat. in this light i left the stock single mode driver in.

- First i torn down the light to see what i had to work with, and as with any super-low budget light it has a generic LED on a PC board, in a plastic pill holding it and the driver.
(Image #2)

- After some inspection and measurements, i discovered the aluminum head has a recessed shoulder on the inside parameter approximately at the height where the original PC LED was located, and with a little sanding the edges of a 20mm Star with a Cree XB-D Cool White Emitter dropped right in on this ledge perfectly, contacting the aluminum head for a bit of heat transfer using thermal compound.
(Images #4 and #5)

- I left the original Driver in the plastic pill, as it sits roughly a millimeter below the 20mm Star. After sanding down the top and bottom of the plastic reflector, ( with trial & error of sanding to get the reflector to sit perfectly at the right height on the XB-D to for the best hotspot focus,
(Image #6)

-I then press-fitted the reflector and lens back in the head. ( as both are just a press fit from the factory)
(Image #7)

- During this build process, i took the empty parts out to the shop to do some work on the lathe.
First i cut down the gold anodized lock ring, and machined some tiny “cooling fin” grooves in it, and colored the groove lands with laquer paint, then re-sanded them to give the finish.
(Image #1 & #2 on Photo 2.)

- After machining the bezel area, i re-assembled the light.
(Image #3 #5 on Photo 2.)

I re-tested the tail cap amp draw, and got close the same draw as the stock emitter at around 0.29 amps, giving this mini C8 a couple hours run time, but with over twice the output and a better tint.
(Image #4 on Photo 2.)

Maybe i could have built a little throw monster from this light if i used a dedomed XP-G2 or XP-E2 & a 7880 Driver or a different 4.2 volt driver to run it on a 10440. ( i just might do that some day when im bored. :stuck_out_tongue:

- Bottom photo is the Mini C5 in photo # 3 along side a standard Ultrafire C8, along with Ceiling beam-shots to show the original LED profile/tint compared the upgrade with the Cool White Cree XB-D.

• Run time is being tested as this topic was posted on a generic AAA Alcaline starting off with 1.50 volts, and will update it later when i have the times/results.

Sweet. You really classed that baby up. I have one of those. Doubt I will ever get it to be as nice as that. Great work.

Did DNF mod one of those once?

I’m not sure if he modded one of these, though i have heard of these mentioned before in other topics.

Yep. DNF has modded a couple and has a few more sitting there to do. Orsm job DBS. You will have to get the full size version to go with it. I cant remember where I got it from but they vary in price from cheap to expensive.

Thanks.
I never thought where was a “full size” version over the standard C8 we see or have from the many manufacturers. Any photos or links ?

Got links to those flashlights please?

I found this one on amazon but for $4~

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Flashlight-Waterproof-Camping-Sporting/dp/B0084YELJK

Found another for $1.25~...but the butthat wants $14.99 shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3W-Min-LED-Flashlight-Torch-For-Outdoor-Sporting-Aluminum-Alloy-Waterproof/200936617450

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004784/1369602-mini-c8-1-mode-30-lumen-white-light-flashlight

The ultrafire looks a bit more throwy, but I’m not certain.

Nice! Thanks

Any idea the diameter of the driver 10mm or 12mm?

Because we have a new driver design to make those 14500 multi-mode (derivative of the Nanjg 105C 7135) :D

Oh I just found this nifty little thing too.

http://www.myled.com/p365-cree-xml-u2-runtime-2-3-hours-550-600-lumen-5-mode-led-flashlight-03.html

Looks pretty much identical. Scaled up ofc. :slight_smile:

The Mini C8 I linked from FT is a whopping ~15mm (estimate). Measuring from the bottom of the head because I don’t have it ripped apart yet… So I’d say 14-16mm.

The lower part of my c8 mini head is 17.7mm and the upper almost 20mm, so no probem with fitting the driver or led.

Per this mod...looks like it may be 15mm or larger

Yep those AA boost are 17mm. Got 4 of them sitting next to me… watching… waiting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, i just went to check the rest of my c8 minis, i ordered 6 at the time. One of them is a police AA light, phahahaahaha :smiley:

I ordered 5 of em from KD or IOS, I forget which

Will have them soon...gonna order some of those C8 mini's from FT!

Here is the same light for less than $ 3 bucks: 3W Mini Waterproo LED Flashlight Torch For Outdoor Sporting Aluminum Alloy | eBay

thats the one. 20mm star almost drops, in and a 7880 or East92 driver fits with some mods no prob.

Big and little. There not exact but close.

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-c5-250-lumen-cree-xpe-r2-tube-swicth-3-mode-led-flashlight-1x18650

I hate those charging ports, though.

Now thats not cheap at all :slight_smile: for that price you get a c8 mini, qlite and a xp-g2 on noctigon and u still got money left for some chewing gums :stuck_out_tongue: