Mod: MT07S with Oslon Black Flat

This mod was inspired by mikelight's D1S mod posted here. It's not quite finished yet. Hopefully, I can finish it tonight.

The challenge is the emitter's non-electrically isolated thermal pad. I prefer my emitter bases have direct metal on metal contact (with thermal paste that squeezes out of the way). I have no thermal glue that works as good as metal to metal.

Since the MT07S has anodized threads at the head (and at the tail, but that doesn't matter), one only has to electrically insulate the driver from the head. Well, also resister mod for less current than the XHP70.2 receives.

First, the driver. It pumps about 6.5amps in Turbo mode. Tamed it down to 4.5amps by swapping in two .1 ohm resistors. They are the green guys in the below pic. You can left click on the pic and and "View" the picture in higher res if needed.

Since the above picture, I have filed down the diameter so that I can put a sleeve around the perimeter of the driver to ensure no electrical contact with the hosts head.

I wanted this mod to be reverable. So I didn't mill the threads out of the way. Made a quick and dirty driver support ring to lift the driver off the driver shelf. It was also needed to bring the driver closer to the battery tube as the driver retaining ring can not be used (It would connect battery negative to the head). I might replace the below ring with something better, but it does fine already. It's just cut from the plastic cover of a notebook binder. Hopefully, I have the time to make the driver sleeve mentioned above tonight.

Lightly lapped emitter shelf and DTP XP base.

Unfortunately, I don't have the XHP35 model of the MT07S and I have no nice big XP bases. This 20mm DTP base has been used in several lights. This will be its final use as it is starting to delaminate. Tried out various led isolating rings until I found something that will hopefully give the right reflector height and center the emitter well. Fingers crossed. I had to use two different rings and had to file the bottom rings opening to make it big enough for the Black Flat.

Probably didn't need to use the copper strips below. I think If I was very careful, I could have just soldered the leads directly to the base and not shorted on the reflector.

Fitment looks decent.

I briefly tested the light out to make sure all modes worked without frying the emitter. Now I just need to replace the kapton tape on the driver with a sleeve. Kapton tape is not durable and will likely tear/wear which will short.

Will update this OP with progress and final result.

Nice ideas :+1:

Very clever ImA4Wheelr. Love your thinking. :+1:

i’m trying to get this done on my xhp35 model. wouldn’t that be easier? and is your light blue or did you do something to the bezel ring also?

^

Hi aginthelaw. Yes, your model would be easier. You get to re-use that nice big MCPCB that came with your light. You might finish before me as I may not get around to mine until this weekend. Make sure your driver does not ground to the head. I blew an emitter when my kapton tape tore and contact was made.

The blue is just a reflection from a nearby computer monitor.

Best wishes on your mod. Hopefully, focus won't be a big hassle for us.

EDIT: Oh, please let me know what Sense Resistors your driver has. Mine had R086 and R056. Yours should be higher resistance to get down to 2.5 amps.

I’m having the work done for me. Just trying to pay my bills first before I send them out. TA might do one and I’m letting a friend do the other, so I’ll try and get pics of that build as I watch him work

^

Sounds good. If the emitters hasn't been purchased yet, you may want to go with that new throw king emitter that L4P is selling. That would only require swapping in new sense resistors and emitter. The stock MCPCB and emitter centering ring (aka isolator ring?) should still work. No need to electrically isolate the driver from the head.

EDIT: I finally got around to finishing the driver. I just wrapped the parameter of the driver with thin hard cardboard strip. Since I reduced the diameter of the driver, it didn't make good contact with the battery tube. So I added a copper ring as follows:

The beam profile sucks. It has be big black hole in the center that doesn't disappear until about 35 feet out. I have a MT07S 35. The insolator in that light looks pretty thick. So I think I have the emitter too deep into reflector. Need to verify that and fab a thicker isolator.

EDIT2: I missed CRX's and MRsDNF's earlier posts above. Thank you for the nice comments guys.