Modded Eagle Eye X6 Shootout!

Dale!
I have one more maybe last question. I have now the spacers machined from copper and everything here except the leds. What wire thickness did you used in triples for the leds?
Thank you!

I think he uses busbars. :wink: Awg 18 Probably.

Probably busbars and 18Awg…lol…they are all serious! …and impressive

I do typically use Tenergy 18Ga leads for a triple. Not much point in going to the extremes of copper and all that if you’re not going to feed the beast… :wink:

Nice! I will use 18Ga too :+1:

And by the way, my Titanium X6 from Rey ended up with a Quad after all. Nichia 219C’s pulling 21.1Amps from an LG HE-2 cell for 4278 lumens.

its almost the same output as xpls hi in quad??nichias?

The Nichia 219C has a low forward voltage, this allows a cell to push them harder than, say, an XP-G2 or XP-L. The new XP-G3 has a low forward voltage as well and comes surprisingly close to XP-L output. Very tough on the cell though.

checkn’ in for future reference.

so,what will be the best for triple/quad?
xpl,nichias,xp-g2?
:slight_smile:

My personal favorite is the triple with CUTE-3 optic and XP-L V6 3D emitters on the 32mm Noctigon. Maybe V6 2B emitters. And I like to polish the honeycomb pattern off the CUTE-3 for a wee bit tighter beam and a better look overall. :wink: But that’s just me.

Edit: ACTUALLY, the new triple XM class board from Cutter with XM-L2 U4 1C emitters makes for a super output with lower amperage, might actually be my favorite overall although I haven’t technically used that emitter… yet. I have one with U3 1A’s and it’s pretty kick Aus. :wink: (parts are en-route for me to make myself this ultimate X6 triple. :wink: )

What do you charge to polish those optics?

No way I am patient enough to get that right

It’s actually pretty easy, takes maybe 20 minutes at the sink.

Wet-dry sandpaper or how? Similar to polishing headlight lenes?

I have the parts (Noctigon, XP-L,Cute3) all coming soon.

Yes, I use like a 320 grit wet dry using the side of the sink so I can keep the paper washed off, I leave the water running slightly and just splash water on the paper between rounds. With the paper stuck vertically to the sink closest to me I run tight circles, rotate (splash) tight circles, rotate (splash) each group of tight circles is maybe 20 revolutions, each rotation is merely turning the optic so my fingers are on the next leg, this to ensure I sand it equally around. It only takes maybe 4 or 5 rotations and the honeycomb is gone. Then I switch to 400 briefly (like 3 rotations to ensure equality) and then 800 (3 rotations again) and then 1500 the same. Then a few more rotations on a piece of newspaper on the formica table top with Mother’s Aluminum Polish and clean it on fresh newspaper and it’s crystal clear. (cleaning it with cotton may cause swirl marks, the final buff on clean newspaper tends to leave it the best finish, as with aluminum.)

I’ve had dual ulnar nerve relocation and carpal tunnel surgery in my right wrist. If I can do this, virtually anyone can. :wink:

For me, the X6 triple is one of the best bang for the buck lights available out there, period. The size is easy to carry, the belt clip makes it a no brainer (I’ve carried it in shorts, sweat pants, even clipped in my underwear to go outside and check on a noise) I gave an X6 to my Son-in-Law who delivers Pizza’s and he uses it near constantly daily. He clips it outside his pants, with the clip inside his front pocket. He says it’s never come off. I even upgraded him to a full SS version, the only one of it’s kind (it was a mistake, sample, me being on the testing team.) He LOVES it! I’ve had to build 4 more X6’s for him and his brother, sister, my daughter and his best man at their wedding. They’re sold on em and we’re only talking single emitter here. :wink:

For normal general purpose use, the triple X6 is just one heck of a light. Total cost of right around $50 makes it a heck of a deal. :wink: (Parts and host, DIY)

Good. I just need some Mother’s Aluminum Polish… have wet-dry all the way to 3000. Maybe with that I do w/o Mother?

Don’t know, you can try. :slight_smile:

There are clear coat finishes for cars that work probably just as well, like Meguiar’s 2.0… I use that to clean the hazed headlights to like new condition so it’d probably do the same for this polycarbonate optic. I have Mother’s Aluminum Polish on my bench for copper pills, aluminum reflectors, whatever…. typically use what’s close to hand ya know? :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing DB Custom. I have bought about eight or so of x6, given several away, traded etc. It simply has huge wow factor and practicality (ease of use) straight out of the box. I have commonly seen it available under $20 even without code. I still have like two or three of them left. This thread is definitely kindling the fire of inspiration. Those are some sweet looking and powerful x6 mods. If I didn’t feel heat I would probably marry one of them.

Thanks for the nice beamshots, Dale. Have you ever used a XP-L HI instead of a XP-L with the Cute-3 SS? Do the HIs make a tighter beam? I'm currently working on a triple X6 mod and do have some XP-L HI available but no XP-L.

Yes, the HI’s work fine with the CUTE-3 Optic. I am not real sure about a tighter beam as the optics will do what they’re designed to do for the most part, but the color is more uniform with the HI emitter and I feel like it gives a nicer beam profile overall, even if it may have a bit less total output compared to the top binned XP-L with the dome on.