Modding a Judco 10A switch to fit Z41/Clone tailcaps

A switch is simply a connector of the two leads, there's no direction.

I absolutely should have, I’ll add this the the guide so nobody forgets. Thanks!

Yup, dumb question. You’re welcome. :wink:

Switch doesn’t care which way the current flows.

Nice mod. Thank you for sharing. This is going to be one popular mod.

I didn’t answer you’re question! Of course, the more the merrier :wink:

Done! I’m really happy with how this switch came out. Do you guys think there would be any intrest if I started making small batches to sell until Toftys switch is back?

I cut the copper to fit the top of the switch and bent a little “leg” off the side.

Then I epoxied the copper plate with gold plated copper beryllium spring to the top the switch.

Then soldered the contact.

Done and ready for my 10A quad XPL dropin :bigsmile:

Thanks, I really like your idea about using a copper top like that + the beryllium copper spring, & i would even use a 18awg wire bypass, just to be sure as minimal voltage drop as possible. It is probably not necessary but it is easy & very quickly done.

I am sure you could sell some of these, i want to build it myself though, i just like to DIY as much as i can on my mods, and developing my skills for higher performance switch installation is essential for that goal :wink:

But i know many have more money than time & then this kind of drop in solutions are perfect, make sure if you want to sells some, to offer them at CPF also, many of there members strike me as just that, they rather buy ready made solutions than tinker & build it themselves & they have a special affinity to SureFire’s for some reason.

Could you give me the dimensions on the modded switch, before you installed it in the holder, just the length, width & hight of the Judco 10A with part of the plastic cut off.

I didn’t have any silicone insulated wire on hand, if I definitely did I would have. I want to make one with now and compare the resistance to see if it is actually worth the effort. The inside of the ring is .62”, so the largest square that would fit inside should be ~.44” (math was never my favorite subject…).

Also here is a link to a cheap brass retaining ring

Just to clarify, when i said “It is probably not necessary” to do a wire bypass on the copper spring, i meant most would probably not do it & it is a really tiny bit of possible extra performance to be had, BUT i am sure there is some to gain by doing it, and when you have gone all out to optimize the rest of the switch build for performance i would do it :wink:

Check out djozz springs testing if you haven’t, for my reason for saying that.

IOS have 18awg silicon wire under components/gears in the shop.
And MTN has it also.

Just to be sure, because i am with you on the maths issue :wink:
When you say ~.44” you mean inches right? So that would be a square of ~11.2mm? that sound really small to me, much smaller than most other high performing switches besides the small 8x12mm omten switch. And very good news if i understand you right :slight_smile:

Where do you get the switch from? Is it just a on/off or will it do a half press momentary? Thanks, got me interested in this set-up!

It is in the OP :wink: from digikey.

I have put in a request that MTN will stock & sell these also, fingers crossed he will, otherwise i am not sure how i will get them.

Yeah, thanks, been looking there, didn’t see any 10a mom/on/off? Really want the mom/on/off 10a switch if they make one??? Need switch model number if they do? Just 2/4amp?

I just ordered some of these.

5 pieces of 10A 13*18 big current Flashlght Switch CNQ2227

I’m with you there, no matter how small the improvement I want it. And just double checked by measuring and my math was right, they are very small when cut down.

I ordered 5 of these and I do not think there is an easy way (if we consider the Judco mod easy) to make these work. I was really disappointed when I saw how big they are but I’ll keep on trying till they are all broken though :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here, i ordered 5 & have checked every light i modded to fit, i have still not been able to fit them anywhere yet.

That is why this Judco 10A switch is so interesting, especially now that understand how small it really is when cut down. To bad they aren’t available from more sources though.

+1 Is this Judco forward clicky momentary on(half press) switch?

It looks like a champ after modding. Anyone had failures of this switch?

Edit:

I should probably rephrase that. The Judco spring is actually the weak point and after continued use, it tends to get weak. Instead of crisp clicks, you softer clicks and then intermittent failure as the spring does not hold the center contact against the outer contacts like it should.

I wish I could thank Old-Lumens in person for all of his work. I have learned a lot from him. Perhaps someone else could help me?

I did this mod for a couple Z41 and I have one that is acting like a reverse clicky after the mod. It also is starting to work intermittently. I’m guessing this is a result of the spring failure Old-Lumens mentioned? Could I have damaged it with heat you think?

I actually love the feel of these switches and the fwd clicky/momentary function is awesome.