Modding a trustfire X9

I was playing with some flashlights tonight so I made couple of beamshots with X9 also:

Sirius, how long this light can reach in meters?

I have no clue how much is a realistic throw and unfortunately, I don't have anything
suitable to measure throw, like laser distance meter or something similar :(
I think that 400 meters, maybe 450 would be nice number!!!

Recently I received AMC power regulators so I might try taking this a step further, to about 3.3A
I am not so sure that it would survive 3.6A - 3.7A (two additional AMC's)...

Thank you Sirius :slight_smile:

400m~ is my dream “pocket” light :heart_eyes:

Do you dedome the led or is in stock mode?

I have to buy this light :weary:

the led is stock XML2 I just reflowed it to genuine MCPCB, I done my first dedome only recently and it was a fail, btw...

Do you think with a U3 the results would be better?

I ordered 2 of then and wil try to mod with one dedomed >)

If you use copper insert like I did and NANJG 105C with 9 AMC's and U3 I would, pretty much, expect noticeable better results :)

You could also use Noctigon copper MCPCB and push this thing even further with 10 x AMC's :D

The cooper piece is screwed in the body of light or just hold by pression?

The only thing afraids me is reflow the star :_(

No, not screwed in, just press fitted, you get a bigger transfer surface like that (and I don't have a lathe neither a knowledge how to make a threads).

If you insert a copper core like I did then there is no problem using any other size of MCPCB, you can use 20mm NOCTIGON star without any problems in case you destroy genuine mcpcb.

:slight_smile: First off: THANK YOU ALL for your contributions to this thread Modding a TrustFire X9!!!

Well, I’ve ordered a:
V10+ 2.7~4.5V XML-T6 4-Group 1/3/4-Mode + 1~100 Ramping LED Driver Boar… It came DOA :frowning: with it I ordered a :

Cree XM-L2 T6-1C 10W 6500K 1052LM LED Emitter This emitter was fine and i ended up sticking it in a C8 with stock driver and noticeable difference in overall brightness!!!

So now I’ve just ordered:
AMC7135*8 5-Mode Circuit Board (Nanjg 105C) 3.04A and a:
Noctigon XM20 MCPCB & CREE XM-L2 T6 3C LED 10.00 bucks (ouch)

Well can’t wait for them to arrive to get the old X9 up and running again, if this emitter impresses I’ll have to order another for my HD 2010!!!

Again,
THANKS to all who’s contributed and Sirius9, you are DaMan for your photos and instructions, believe me us noobs totally appreciate it!!! If you ever have/need answers to custom rifles AR-15’s especially, or computer (desktop, Mac and Networking) stuff fire away buddy!!!

Well,
It’s been a while since I’ve posted here, China’s mail system must still use the pony express, maybe donkey, camel and river boat postal service :stuck_out_tongue: … Seriously I purchased a couple different drivers and emitters. So first go round I installed this 5 (F I V E) amp driver:

strange driver

Now according to my Fluke 87III on a fresh 4.23v Pana NCR18650B I am only drawing 2.53 amps off this emitter:

AWESOME emitter

Thing is it out throws my defiant 3c super thrower stock and my C8 w/XML2 and my FandyFire HD2010 w/updated driver, for those who like the warmer emitters this is your find; looks to my eye to be about the high 4000’s to low 5000’s Kelvin… Now, onto this bizarre driver, I was really hoping to push this copper XML2 to Its limits with a single cell Thanks BIGWOOD, beating a dead horse is NOT always in vain…

Driver has a VERY clunky interface and the ramping takes literally several (3-5) seconds. So I am using the single on/off 100% mode but man 2.53 amps outta a 5 amp driver must be some major resistance in there somewhere… I also purchased this driver Hopefully Better

I cannot find my light meter which would be an awesome asset as we can all be fooled by “eyesight” I do my testing without as much ambient light as possible on a golf course so I can get some distance, man these “super throwers” are gonna make me dig the laser rangefinder outta the safe!!! I will try and get some beam shots if I can find C H E A P photo hosting to carry these needed shots… So any thoughts on this driver in particular as I am wondering if anyone else is getting such low readings with this driver… OHHH I did change the + - output emitter wires to 22 gauge copper, all I had on hand… As for heat dissipation I am an OLD overclocker pushing high end Intel’s to super speeds so the application of thermal compounds and thermal paths are very familiar to me. This X9 does not even get that warm in the hand at several 5-10 minutes continuous run time. Everyone’s input is MOST welcome!!!