Modifying a 501B - total newby question(s)

I’ve got a pair of 501Bs, 1 single mode and 1 5 mode, and I’m wondering how hard it would be to modify it produce more light (duh) with a regulated output. I’ve looked through the forums for answers, but I’m not sure where to start, where should I start?

Hello,
this isn't hard, if you can solder a little bit. You should change the driver and think about, which modes do you want. I usually don't use SOS and strobe only a few times. I prefer 3 modes (high, mid, low or changed sequence).
If you take this driver 105c 2group. I has a 3 mode and a 5 mode in one product. You can change the mode group within 10 seconds without to solder every time. I offers you 2,8 Ampere. You can power it up with mor e7135 chips (every chips increase 0,35A).
The 501 body isn't the best and not really thick (not the best solution for a flashlight, which produce a lot of heat).

lookup P60 in the search bar in the top left of the page.
or search P60 mod, or P60 modification.

next lookup Njang 103c.

that should get you started.

Next time try a 502b, much much better construction. Then a Solarforce or two.

Also determine what emitter you have in these 2 lights, if you have an xpe, xre, xpg or xml an upgrade to an xm-l2 u2 would be a big improvement. Ideally look for or build a p60 dropin with an xm-l2 u2 with a 105c driver at 2.8 or 3.4 amps.

Also do the tinfoil wrap method and it really helps wick the heat away, even on a 501b

If both drivers use 7135 chips you can stack a few more of the chips to increase output current.

Multi mode linear driver

Chip stacking

Both of those links are in Led’s and other stuff but both the general led info forum and the DIY forum have tons of useful info so I encourage lots of random reading in both.