mods: Spiderfire EDC rocket twins :-)

Nice Job. I like the tint of the XM-L2.

Nice!

i would have added thermal compound under the star.any improvement in the heatsink improves brightness.

You are right, and I now realise that I did not mention it at all for these mods: under both stars I applied a thin layer of arctic silver.

djozz,

I think that this light is similar to the UF 602C hosts that FT carries. I was wondering if the lens and lens O-ring on the Spiderfire ones are the correct size (large enough)?

The lens on the 602C hosts I got from FT was too small, and the lens O-ring was too large, so I’ve hesitated buying any more of the 602Cs.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim, the spiderfire is a bit narrower than the 602C, with the same size lens, so there's no fit issues with that.

But if you do not care about the cool spider logo, my newest favourite small-black-cheap-16340-host is this one:

It is the left one, with quite some wear because it is in my pocket with the keys all the time. It is unbranded and I bought it from Fasttech for 9 dollars:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10007115/1580800-1-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-370-lumen-neutral-white-edc

Here's a mod thread:

my new favourite small 16340 host, modded

I have a Spiderfire C-010 sitting in a drawer from a few years ago. I should go mod it with something! :bigsmile:

I got two of the Ultrafire 602C’s, put XP-G on sinkpads, and put in the 101-AK-A1 4*7135 (flashed with custom STAR V1.1 firmware), these little guys get hot FAST on high…1400mA is right there at it’s 300% rated output 1500mA so they are running pretty darn hard. I took out the regular reflectors and put in some 10% TIR’s and the light these guys throw is rather amazing.

With the 10degree hotspot it throws very well but has enough spill that it also works well for in close work. VERY good little pocket rocket and the SK68 can’t hold a candle to it’s performance
(until I get my 5*7135 15mm SK68 boards tested that is :wink: )

Sorry to bring back the thread, but as stated in somewhere else, I am thinking about getting one of these and mod it!

So…my question is: is the driver 15mm? Would it be to harsh to pick a 17mm driver and file it a bit all around to make it fit & work?
Thanks in advance :+1:

I tried to order one of these at Fasttech twice, a year ago and recently, and both times I got a message that it was under restock and if I would like to wait for it. Both times I chose wait for it and then nothing happened.

In other words, the light is still listed, but they don’t have it, and it will never come back.

You don’t say that :open_mouth: I’ve just placed and paid my order :person_facepalming:
And I didn’t get any message from them saying that… Is it automatic message or sent by support team?

I guess I will apply for refund immediately… :zipper_mouth_face:

You could wait for their message to be sure about it, and ask for refund then.

The message was from the support team, but it is a standard text.

Thanks for the advice! It is my first time ordering from them so I’ll wait a bit more. All expectations going down the hole :frowning:
Thank again! :+1:

I sent a message, yesterday, to FT asking if the flashlight was in stock or no, and that if it wasn’t I would cancel my order and ask for refund.

This was the (inconclusive) answer:

So…I guess I will have to wait and see what I will get, but it wasn’t confirmed or denied that the flashlight was out of stock :+1:

Or maybe I will get another message meanwhile. First time dealing with FT, so I don’t know what to expect :zipper_mouth_face:

After a week in conversations with Fasttech, here’s what I got yesterday about this flashlight:

So, no news! It is discontinued, and finally it is marked as so in their store!

But, during the conversations I also got this messages:

:person_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming:

So, since the “it is not ready for ship”, passing by the “it will arrive tomorrow”, finally we have a conclusion that it “is discontinued”!

I asked for total refund of my order…

Thanks djozz, again, and sorry for all the stuff on this thread. At least now the chapter is closed… :arrow_right:

:smiley: :beer:

But now: is there a worthy replacement? That is: as small, and easy moddable, with 17mm driver and 16mm ledboard.

Hum, not as small, I guess :weary:
I’ll check what I’ll do when I get the refund from them! But that would be the best option probably!

It’s a shame the manufacturers don’t do that one anymore. :cry:

Lol! I ordered a DQG 26650 flashlight from Fasttech, and this munchkin is what I received in its place. Have them check that bin.

Inspired by the revival of this thread I bought this Singfire from dx (they always have loads of old stock at dx :slight_smile: ).

https://www.dx.com/p/singfire-sf-329b-cree-xr-e-q5-180lm-3-mode-white-flashlights-black-1-x-16340-281853#.W5LyhqhNe2d

Somewhat bigger than the Spiderfire but Singfire always was ok quality.

Well, Fasttech made the refund, I added some money to that and went for an On The Road M1 :smiley: :partying_face: Seemed more consistent than the B311, even being slightly bigger and larger!
Let’s see if it worths it :wink: