Monster light Trustfire x100

Hmm… A keychained X100… Now that’s an idea.
Maybe i should keychain my workdesk to my belt so i can work wherever i go :o

my back and leg muscles to tote this thing around in its sling, and my forearms to just hold it. It’s one of those things that in case the end of the world starts to happen I can see its utility and usefulness. Either as one Big A OMG flashlight, or if it doesn’t light due to an EMP, one heck of a club. Either way I figure it won’t be completely useless. In psychology this is called rationalization. For flashaholic purchases this is called an excuse for further addiction.

The store which i purchased from has raised its price.

Can get it cheaper from here (countries close to China). It’s 81 only to my country.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/574244866-TrustFire-X100-CREE-XM-L-T6-7-LED-8000-Lumen-5-Mode-Memory-Flashlight-Black-Aluminum-wholesalers.html

Over here it’s $86 flat to all countries.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/594695903-1Set-TrustFire-X100-Flashlight-5-Mode-8000LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Hiking-Torch-Extended-Tube-wholesalers.html

and 4 of the TF Flaming 26650’s plus they throw in that handy-dandy little charger, it works out that the combo deal is about $11 less. Those little chargers (I have two already) are really pretty neat.

Anyway, I’m starting to turn into a 26650 flashaholic man. While 18650’s are plenty good there’s something about those 26650’s that sez without a doubt, “You’re really not messing around here are you?”

I bet my TK70 will smoke it in throw.

you’re right. :bigsmile:

But not by all that much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not surprising, the TK70 is 36mm bigger in head diameter. This light has quite a bit bigger hotspot than the TK70, plus a much bigger corona. If you are using in say a big house/auditorium/cave/big garden/forest canopy (somewhere where raw lumens is needed but also a bit of throw), it is much more useful and I could really see how much more light it puts out more than the TK70.

I am using my TK70 in 3D configuration with 2 x 32650 + a dummy, the length of both lights are the same (X100 in 3 x 26650 config). Comparing this way the X100 has the same runtime as the TK70 but puts out about 45% more lumens. For both lights, 4 cell operation is longer than my preference, seriously never gave it any thoughts. (yeah, my 4 x Tenergy NiMH LSDs are rotting!)

PS. The raw data for TK70 and X100 for intensity are 92k cd and 38k cd on my meter - works out to be 303m and 194m @ 1 lux. (you’d barely see it in a city environment on a grey coloured building). Or twice that in a very dark place + white surface.

overall versatility. The TK clearly out throws but like the photo sequence above demonstrates there is IMO a more useful balance of flood and throw in the X100. Plus it appears to have a more neutral white if I’m not mistaken than the TK. Not having either in my hands right now I may be wrong in that perception.

BTW 2100, are there major pitfalls running the X100 on 18650’s and if there aren’t any what’s the minimum you would recommend? I’m thinking 18650’s for less weight under different scenarios.

will i notice a big improvement with flood over say a tr j12 and the skyray king?

J12 is same with J18 except the LED. 5vs7

Welcome to the club, WWEFANS!

thank you, i enjoy the time here. :bigsmile:

No pitfalls, just remember to run protected cells. In the early days, quite a few folks have blown a few drivers, and the MOSFETs do give you a dead short scenario.
Just run them on say protected NCR18650A, the light starts at about 3.3-3.4 amps and quickly goes to 4A range, and ends at 5-6A range. That’s for good 18650s.
It’d definitely stress say Trustfire Flames 2400s too much, not worth the risk.

There is less of a voltage sag with 26650s.

……….

So I found that the battery tubes from my fake J18 fit the x100 just fine. So I know 2 cells work fine. But what about 5 cells? Would I fry it with that much voltage?

Call me crazy, but I would love the runtimes 5 cells would bring.

My x100 always starts in medium mode. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I thought it had a mode memory.

Edit: Actually it starts in one mode off from whatever it was last in. For example high starts medium. Medium starts low. Low starts strobe. Strobe starts SOS. And SOS starts High. Very strange.

Does anyone else’s X100 behave this way?

My BET is that it would be fine… But there is no way to be sure without
A) Finding out from the designer/manufacturer of the Driver
or
B) Trying it

My bet is based upon a few facts

1. We know it supports 4 cells (16.8V) (Manufacturer Specified)
  2. The biggest limiting factor in switch mode supplies is usually the FET (s), the DIODE (s) and the Capacitors
  3. 5 Cells would be 21V Max (4.2V * 5)
  4. It’s nearly impossible to buy a FET or a DIODE that doesn’t have at least a 30V reverse breakdown voltage - so those should be good.
  5. Capacitors usually come as 6.3, 10, 16, 25, 35 or 50V parts.
  6. Since we know it supports 16.8V (4 cells), the caps have to be > 16V Parts. This suggest that they’re at least 25V Parts, and thus, should survive 21 just fine.

But, It’s still just a bet and a guess. Educated, perhaps, but a guess nonetheless…

PPtk

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have tried adding an extra cell on other flashlights and it worked fine. But I was a bit worried as the voltages are getting up there with 5 cells. I’ll let the forum know what happens if I get brave and try it.

Well I decided to try five cells, and it works just fine. Same exact brightness as 4 cells and no issues at all after 60 minutes of continuous use, stopped because it is 2AM here, not because batteries were even close to giving out. It did get up to 144F and seemed to stabilize there. Too hot?

Nice to know I can use it with 2 to 5 cells now!

Absolutely shouldn’t be. That’s only 62C… Even CRAPPY electronics are good to 85C, and the vast majority can survive to 105C. 125C isn’t even all that unusual.

Now, too hot for your hand? Yeah, probably. Too hot for Lithium Cells - depends on your tolerance for risk, the quality of the cells you use, and whether the cells themselves are actually getting as hot as the head of the torch.

PPtk