MT-G2 De-Dome: What technique have you tried? Best results?

I know there have been MT-G2 de-domes, but not a whole lot as compared to the common XML. From what I gather, it seems to be a hit or miss venture. Even Vin on CPF states that he has to write off a certain amount of failures in the process.

Why are MT-G2 more difficult to de-dome than XML, and what seems to be the the most rewarding technique to date? The cost of MTG makes one think twice before attempting a non 100% operation.

What are the options, and which one is best?

I just heat the dome with a hot air gun and pick off the dome until I get to a point I feel phosphor may start getting pulled off. So there is a thin layer of bumpy silicone left. Always looks ugly.

I think the issue is 2 parts as follows:

• The phosphor is weakly bonded to the die.
  • The die grid is 3 dimensional. So it holds on to the silicone.

I have had a 100% success rate, but I'm don't consider pretty as part of the evaluation of success.

How does the beam look ofter the “non pretty” hot air technique?
How does a gasoline de-Dome compare?

Beam is so much more focused. Also warmer and better CRI if you don't lose phosphor. I think the uneven surface creates some blurriness in the beam, but I can only notice on lower modes on a white wall.

There are a couple wall shots here. I have various build threads with beam shots. I guess I will toot my own horn and say that I believe I was the first person to post a "successful" dedome (Defiant Spotlight).

Others have tried gasoline with mixed results. Seems to remove the phosphor. I think Ohaya did a gasoline dedome.

The emitter in the center was dedomed using an acetone bath (Post link with below image). Totally removed the phosphor

Here's an asphric beam shot. Here is a couple beam shots from my last dedomed MT-G2: