MTN-17DDm guppydrv dual PARTIAL VICTORY >-)

Hello all hoping you can give some insight on the issue I am having with my
MTN-17DDm with guppydrv dual firmware .

Have it in a Convoy C8. Started with XP-L HI and it worked fine. Had voltage and all the mode groups.

Tonight I swap in a XP-G2 dedomed. And headed out for dog walk. I was in mode group 5
15–100 It worked great. I went to 8 click to check the voltage after a few minutes of use and I didn’t get the voltage flashes.

After several attempts to check voltage I ended up in another mode group.

Now home, I can click 8 times. NO Voltage Blinks.
I can click 8 times then click more time and still change the mode groups.
Seams like I have lost the Voltage blinks.

EDIT- went to a beacon mode light doesn’t shot off just pulses ever 4 seconds.
also the moonlight and lows are brighter then they should be

Anyone have this happen ?
Any suggestions ?
Trouble shooting ?

Does this sound like a short somewhere ?

Does not really sound like a short… but if the modes that only use the 7135 are being driven 100% when only the 7135 is used and when the FET is used those are also fully driven it could be a short around the reflector… I am good at making shorts, but have not seen that behavior. There are better troubleshooters here than I am and i am sure they will pick up on the thread soon.

Matt

Is the driver soldered or screwed in?

If screwed in, loosen the retaining ring and reseat it, sounds like a bad ground. Also check the negative wire soldered on the pill, I have had some weird results if it grounds out with one of my drivers loaded with guppydrv.

Hope this helps… Interested to see what you find…

Ok, Tore it down. didn’t see anything wrong were leads were hooked to driver.
soldered back up to led, checked without the reflector in and had same issue.

When set to ml-5-15-50-100% the first three are same brightness.

Thanks for input. I will go check the ground better on the driver.

Seams like the 7135 is maxing out on its levels. Not sure what level it starts using the FET

Its the Convoy C8 without the Pill. Just have a ring that holds it in. LED shelf ??

I have the FET17-SS guppydrv and beacon is: moonlight - flash - moonlight - flash … It doesn’t shut off between flashes. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be that way but it’s fine by me.

Back, tore it down again. Re-did the leads on the board. Lightly touched everything with soldering iron, looked it over with magnifying glass. Tried it with the XPL-HI that was in it.
Same results.

I believe the 7135 chip is giving me max. But somehow I am not getting off on the beacon(which it did before) or completely off on strobe.
The firmware is still working and I can still change mode groups.

Could the 7135 chip be shorted internally ? Shot?

Will be hard to sleep without knowing.

lightme——yes it was off before, a blink every 3-4 seconds.
my strobe doesn’t go comply off.

Just checked and my strobe modes also do moonlight in between flashes. I don’t see it as problem since it’s so dim. Are you sure yours wasn’t doing the same thing as mine but you thought it was off because moonlight was so dim? And now that all your lower modes are the same brightness, it no longer appears off.

Mine jumps from about 150 lumens to 1000 lumens on beacon. Maybe it came that way and I didn’t see it before, have other guppydrv’s that go off on beacon and strobe.

When I 8-tap to go to program/voltage beacon. Mine stays constant brightness. I do not get any flashes for battery voltage. I am not getting any levels below about 150 lumens.

What does yours do with 8 fast taps ???

Help

EDIT- thinking about changing out the 7135

Replaced the 7135 got the voltage blinks back, Now my ml and lower modes are not acting right. No ml, sometimes it gives me a ml then flash to high.

Seams like the low side of the 7135 is having issues.

Is there a certain pin on 7135 that does certain levels or does it act as one unit ?

I won

EDIT spoke to soon. Have every level exept ML or FF

Anyone know what causes moonlight level ?

Everything but ML was working all day in the house. Tonight go to walk Red and had issues again. NO ML off and on beacon and strobe , couldn’t get it into any 1 mode group. All over the place.

I’m far from the expert here but it seems to me that some component’s tolerance is out-of-spec or has failed and that could be inside a chip itself. Seems like you’ve covered all the other bases.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Hate to get beat by something like this. I am going to try one more thing.

I am gonna bake it. Maybe some heat will fix it. Nothing else has had any effects.

The light worked perfectly before the led swap. I wasn’t know where near the driver swapping.

Tore it down again tonight. Took spring and leads off. Swapped out the 7135 again.
Really put the heat to every component while pressing hard onto the board.

NOW I have every light level but the ff-ml level.

Anyone know if ff is related to a specific component on the board ?

I am getting closer…….

I blame this!!!

What are you showing here?

Ano on flat of battery tube. Does the photo show up ?