MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

I will NOT be offering this combination for sale. What you build is up to you but I think this one is too wild for most people. I will offer the XP-L with the normal 6A regulated driver but not with an FET driver.

With XP-L dedomed what is the typical tint shift?

Where is this 6A regulated driver you are talking about? Can it deliver 6A to 1 led? I might have a plan for it (Insert evil laughter)

Just the good old qlite with 8 extra chips stacked.

Moo ha, ha, ha! Yes, yes, yes! I can’t get enough cow bell! That is to say that I am pleased with your little experiment and the numbers that you have provided. I can respect your responsible and logical decision to not build these for others as they will be a fire hazard and a risk of injury. Now having said that I will return to my childish giggling and excitement.

Sell it Richard! List it as “30 second heat gun to use with shrink wrap”

Wow. I mean, ZOMG.

That’s the same power my modded SRK runs at, plus about 400 lumens, in a host a small fraction of the size.

nice!

bah!! lol - I understand - the s3 mods kick out a lot of heat at 6a… 11 a would get ridiculously hot in seconds

any chance of a triple xpl driven a bit more conservatively? Although lumens would probably be the same as the triple xpg im guessing

Yes, I will be testing that in the next few days. I think that it will put out more lumens than the XP-G2, but probably with a loss of throw.

Floodier with more lumens at the same power? Sounds like a win, if it turns out that way. Might be best to wait for XP-L optics though, to avoid the lumen loss from de-doming and make it more efficient.

I have a few questions:

(1) Any idea when 20mm triple XPL optics are supposed to come out?
(2) What is the tint shift like with the dedomed XPL? Greenish?
(3) What lumens and runtime are you getting with triple XPL and a 6-amp Qlite?

For a small light for EDC I personally want flood rather than throw. I am currently using a Four Sevens Atom AL as my EDC Necklace/Lanyard/Keychain light and it is about the purest flood only light that I have ever seen. Incredibly wide beam with no hot spot at all which makes the Lumens rating appear lower than it is due to the light being so spread out. Very low Lux and throw ratings but great for close use as it has minimal dazzle. The smallest single CR123 light I have seen so far.

I have found that the new XP-L takes de-doming very well. The one’s I’ve done so far have kept a nice tint without that green hue, which is a huge plus for me.

Run time is always going to be a factor of current and cell capacity. So if you have a 6000mAh cell, the 6A draw will run for an hour. With a 2000mAh cell, you’re looking at around 15 minutes. Pretty basic math work there, with some deviances making for small changes. ie: it won’t pull 6A for the duration of the cell, and of course as it drops out of regulation the current draw changes, the cell’s remaining power changes and it all boils down to a curve. But the basic math is a good start point.

There’s not a lot of flashlights that disperse the heat well enough from 6A of current to run them til the cell is down. Heat is going to come into play well before the cell falls on it’s face.

Geez, and I thought my Olight S10 was small. :slight_smile:

Have you considered a Preon P0? It’s even smaller (longer but narrower, so perhaps easier to twist), and also a pure flood “mule” type beam.

I almost got one, but went for a DQG Tiny AAA IV instead. Both make great keychain lights, depending on your preferences for beam type and brightness and overall appearance.

I rather like floody EDCs too, and I put DC-Fix on almost everything I use indoors. It doesn’t turn the beam into a mule pattern, but it does smooth out the hotspot to provide more of a gradual brightness gradient from the center to the edge of the beam. It helps make the tint more consistent across the beam too.

I can see an 11 amp product =IF= you regulate it thermally.

This is done in a lot of high end bike lights, but would mean a fairly invasive mod on current tech.

ToyKeeper;

I also have the Atom ALR2 CR2 battery version and about 5 AAA twisties including 2 stainless steel and one titanium version so lots of choices for a small EDC light. One thing I like about the AL and ALR2 are the relatively long claimed run times, even on high, great if ever needed.

About 2 years ago, when I was a young flashaholic, I had a couple of prized small keychain style lights. They were intensely bright, loved em and thought I was all that. We went to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I pulled out my hot rod little flashlight and went to illuminate the dark cavern. Ooops! That big black hole swallowed my little light like a Whale eats krill! Put me in my place really quick!

So now my lights, even my little lights, are fully capable of giving a black hole a run for it’s money, with all the amperage and lumens physically possible in the smallest hosts I can cram it into. :smiley:

Delrin battery tubes hold spare cells, as does the custom made Ti/Cu keychain battery bunker. :wink:

Edit: <—-that little jewel in my Avatar? 3” of Ti and Cu with 3A pull on a 10440 cell. Making 552 lumens OTF. I’m about to tweak it again, should have in the neighborhood of 1000 lumens here pretty soon, with a smooth reflector for better throw. Show me some blackness…

Definitely different tastes for different people. :slight_smile:

I rarely use more than 200 lumens or so, and usually under 20. If I’m going somewhere like a large cavern (or hiking or biking), I’ll bring something brighter and throwy, but most of the time I’m totally happy with 0.1 lm to 20 lumens in a small host. I tend to use lights on moon/low/med levels for hours at a time, and I like not having to worry about heat or battery capacity. Even my 1xAAA keychain light lasts 20+ hours on the level I use.

Really bright modes are nice to have once in a while, but I still don’t use them for very long. Like, trying to meet up with friends in the dark in a giant crowded park on July 4th, I pulled out the SRK and aimed it straight up at 3000+ lumens and told my friends to just follow the light. The dust and smoke and humidity in the air provided plenty of bounce to make the beam visible from a long distance.

It’d be really nice to have a Texas Poker with a blinding “turbo” mode, but only if it also had good low modes. :slight_smile:

It currently has 4 modes…7 (.03A), 48 (.27A), 242 (1.49A), and 552 (3.11A) lumens. I’ll add one more, the moon that isn’t engaged, if/when I get it even more powerful.

Not small enough to be a convenient EDC light but one of the things I really like about Richard’s M6 customization is the low output capability. The two lowest modes are about 1/6 lumen and 1 lumen I believe. One poster posted the 1/6 lumen output for the lowest level and the next one is a lot brighter but you can still look directly at the LEDs without being dazzled, thus the 1 Lumen guesstimate. At the other extreme you have 4000+ lumens to play with if needed in the full blown modded version with fully charged good batteries and 4 additional levels in between. A very versatile light.