MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Good luck with your exams Richard!

+1

I think it’s a chicken-and-egg problem. There’s no code because there’s no hardware, and there’s no hardware because there’s no code.

(well, that, and because all the inexpensive hardwire uses attiny13a)

With some small changes, it might also be possible to jump directly to an attiny85 instead of 25, which would add a built-in temperature sensor and 8K of ROM instead of merely 2K. But it’s wider than the 13 and 25, so it doesn’t quite fit on existing boards.

Ohh, see the latest status is probably here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/30222, but not much goin on as of late. Noticed there: was there a wight sighting 2 days ago?? SmileSmileSmile

Yes, Mike C has made some attiny85-based lights. I don’t know the details.

No, wight is not back. I think he just stopped by to get some email addresses.

JonnyC is pretty swamped, but he is helping me debug some of my efforts related to the Tiny25 (also Tiny45/85) code. Got busy with this exam situation and set it aside for now.

Debugging tools? You've got all you need! Click build...it builds! Flash it. Does it work as intended? Nope. Change something and try again.

Ahh - cool! Hoping there was some activity on that. In the interim, I'll see if I can squeeze a few more bytes out of it. I'm just 12 bytes over now. So, does it work with the

standard USB dongle?

Yes, you can flash the 25/45/85 with the USBAsp. Big deal with the 25/45/85 is the internal temperature sensor--external sensor or thermistor has already been a workable option for a long time now on the 13a. The internal sensor isn't very accurate without calibration, but I think it will do since all we need it for is to prevent meltdown mode. 5C-10C variation isn't a deal breaker in that case.

Just sitting here recovering from the test today before I get to work on some orders and I saw that the Thorfire C8S had arrived, here are a few of my thoughts:

• Definitely the same host as a Convoy C8. The one I got is the integrated shelf version, which means that for those of you who were hoping that the Thorfire would be an alternative where you could get a pill, you're out of luck.
  • The switch and driver are different than what you get with the Convoy, and I think that the reflector may also be slightly different, but I haven't taken measurements yet. Basically, the shell/host is the same as what you get with Convoy, but the other bits are different.
  • The switch is a pretty nice feeling reverse clicky and the driver is a QX9920 based buck driver, so it can run on 1x18650 or 2xCR123. I haven't tried it yet with 2x18350, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work as well.
  • The driver modes and spacing are nice. On-time memory with about a 1.5-2 second lock time.
  • The PWM noise is very noticeable in the middle two levels. You can hear it, just barely, on the highest level with a full cell--a sure sign that the buck driver is at work.
  • I'm not sure how the efficiency of this driver stacks up with an 18650 vs. a 7135 driver at 2.2A. An ideal buck driver would be more efficient than the linear, but they're never ideal and you've always got the sense resistor in-circuit along with a potentially more lossy inductor, flyback diode, and FET switching away.

Overall a nice light, and probably the best "budget" light I've seen for those who want to run 2xCR123 in a good-quality host with some decent output.

Do you have a chance to pick up any more ThorFire models? I just finished a mod of a TG06 (AA size) and it came out pretty nice. It's a pretty nice host, I'd say Convoy quality, has the small white Omten switch, 16mm driver, but a 17mm can be sanded down, 16mm MCPCB, brass pill, OP reflector, excellent threads, nice steel reversible clip, tail stands.

I put in your XP-L V6-3D with a FET+1 driver, and got 1234 lumens @30 secs on a fresh WindyFire. It started at 1387 lumens, so dies down a lot in the first 20 secs or so. It's not as hefty as a UniqueFire G10, but heftier than the small form factor AA lights, like the ThruNite T10, etc.

Speaking of removable, I’m still a fan of the driver retaining threaded rings, awkward as they are — vs. soldering.

Would it be feasible — figuring it’d cost significant extra time and effort — to make some Qlite 8s by stacking the extra 4 chips on the inside, leaving the spring side with enough clearance that the threaded ring could be tightened down?

(Perhaps something like these

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1616/10002799/1208512-brass-driver-pillar-sets

could fit between the driver’s ground ring and the retaining ring, to keep the pressure applied only at the edge/ground ring, without shorting out the four solder-star points. etc)

I’ve used the ATtiny85 in my M6 triple MT-G2, but lately I’ve been focusing on the ATtiny84 for my headlamp project, the ZY-T08 project, and recently designed a new driver for the M6 triple using it. I didn’t finish any 85 firmware before digging into the 84.

I do how ever have “generic” driver designs on the way that will use the 85, but pins are all different than the Q-lite but when I get around to having a usable 85 firmware I can share it with a driver board. This won’t start until September as I’ll be away on vacation all August.

Ahh, ok. Thanks Mike!

I had thought about carrying some of the 105D drivers (they are like a 105C/qlite minus the stars but they gain a little ring clearance) but then I realized that Convoy still solders them in place in the S2 and S6 lights because they are so tight that even the increased clearance 105D doesn't work right.

You could just go to the already single-sided AK-101-A and add some chips if you want a 100% flat battery side.

The 105D’s work well on Convoy C8’s but the ring ID is a lot bigger than the S2 ring, 5/8” vs 1/2” You could just use a FET or FET + 1 7135 driver.

The page for those assumes I know the details for the various alternative firmwares — is there a link summing those up?
Better question — are they the same choices available as are offered for the qlite driver? (I’m guessing yes)

(the AK-101-A default starts on high — I’d want low or moonlight, etc — along with adding one or more chips.

I think that’s the answer I hadn’t figured out, for using the retaining rings. Thanks.

Alternate firmware options are the same as the qlite driver. It is only the stock firmware that is different.

Damn. I broke a bond wire while trying to center a de-domed emitter. I might be placing another order soon.

BTW, what happened to the XP-to-XM centering rings which had an 8-pointed star inside to help it stay centered? The new ones seem to be round and loose.

Crap, I just checked and they are different. They changed them on me and I didn't even notice it. I swear this happens every time you find something good in China--it disappears.

Here ya go.

” XM-L Reflector to XP-G XP-E Reflector Converter”:http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/details.S023947