MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source

Convoy m1 host, mtg2 zener mod, mtg2 po 5000k led, 2 efest 18350’s, 6 chips added, pulls 5 amps at tail. The c8 would definately throw more, the m1 is kind of floody with a large hotspot with this led, what I meant about color, i was referring to the led tint.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I am finally finished with school. I will be spending the next few days doing some packing/cleaning/other chores, then the mods will be back up.

PM sent.

Either way must feel good, but one obviously is the higher rung. :wink:

Glad you made it through, either way. Still don’t know how you do it.

I made it through another year, I've got a few more grey hairs to show for it.

Got the low voltage monitoring working on the zenerfet(TM) . I was trying it out tonight and it wasn't working...I kept scratching my head until I realized that my calculations from a few months ago were fundamentally flawed. Got that figured out, swapped out the resistors, recompiled and reflashed, and now we're in business.

Nice work, do your resistor values work with 2 x 4.35v cells? The standard 4700 and 19100 didn’t seem to use the full range up to 1.1v(only .78~~.52v) from 4.2~~ 2.9v with not the best resolution. Better resolution would require a different programmed low voltage value. As I understand it, it might work without that by just using different resistors but lvp might vary considerable.

2 x 4.35v cells wouldn't change anything on low voltage cutoff vs. 2 x 4.20v cells, would it? Either way we're wanting to stop at around 2.8 volts and start ramping down at around 3 volts.

The resolution is still not that great and there is a lot of variance within the attiny itself, but it really doesn't matter too much because the capacity difference between 2.9v and 3.1v (if the variance is that wide) isn't that much. It's just the nature of what we're working with.

I have a light in the works to utilize another MT-G2, so this is perfect timing! :slight_smile:
Please let me know what I’ll need to do with the BLF17DDZ board to achieve this.

And I’ll need to get a Convoy C8 from you, will be replacing the battery tube so if you’ve got one with some ugly on it this would be a good time to get rid of that. :wink: Bucket is making me a 2 cell tube for the C8 from 304SS. I’ve got one Ryan copper pill left for the C8 and want to put it to good use. When I started this project, I aimed to use the Knucklehead, but it’s not quite there yet I don’t believe, we’ll see.

It shouldn’t change anything on the low end but will pin 7 see more than 1.1V with 8.7v input?

It doesn’t matter. As long as it doesn’t see over VCC the pin will not be damaged and it will give high readings, either at or close to the highest reading. So if 8.4v is 254 then 8.7v will also be 254.

Thanks wight. So voltage over 1.1v on pin 7 isn’t a problem unless it exceeds regulated input voltage (such as Zener value)?

Correct, based on my understanding from the datasheet. See section 18.1 “Absolute Maximum Ratings” and section 14.6.2 “ADC Voltage Reference”:

• Voltage on any Pin except RESET with respect to Ground ……………………………(–0.5V ) to (VCC+0.5V)
  • Single ended channels that exceed VREF will result in codes close to 0x3FF (hex for 1023, the highest reading that can be taken on the ADC with 10bit precision).

I’ll admit that I don’t know what a single ended channel is, but considering the location of the info I think we are good to go. As far as I understand, the chip has a single analog comparator with a multiplexer in front of it. All the pins that hook up to the multiplexer are “channels”. I don’t know what makes one single ended. Oh, nevermind. Looks like they are all single ended, so who cares. See section 14.1 “Features”: “Four Multiplexed Single Ended Input Channels”

Remember, this doesn’t let us read the voltage above what the divider is setup for, we just know that it’s over whatever an output of 1.1v from the divider denotes. So this wouldn’t be appropriate for taking voltage readings like some of DrJones’s firmwares can. It’s fine for determining whether we need to ramp down or turn off the light though.

FYI an easier way to damage an ATtiny is to hookup a pin configured as output without using a current limiting resistor. Exceeding that absolute maximum rating of 40mA can kill the whole “Port” (The “B” in PB1. Bigger chips have more than e.g. PB, PC, PD).

are the modded flashlights going back up?

Yes they are! I've been traveling all day today and will be traveling part of the day tomorrow, but on Monday everything should be going back up.

Totally awesome

Hey guys, most of the mods are back online. Will have some of the "new stuff" available in the next few days.

There is also a big discount right now on the XP-G2 R5 2B emitters because I have some of the S2 2Bs en route.

Thanks!

New stuff! New stuff! New stuff! Hooray!

C8 style MT-G2???

thanks Richard!

dang , i barely got in for the s3 LOL

looks like I got the last R4 5A1 :slight_smile:

Hey guy’s

I’m about to purchase a DIY Xintd host from mtn along with a Qlite driver and xml2.

Do you guy’s think that upping the current on the driver is worth it in a relatively small host such as a c8?

I am planning to add 4 extra chips for ~4.4 amps on high and am having second thoughts due to the heat generated in a small host.

How long are you going to run it on highest mode? I have a Convoy C8 with Qlite running at 4.4 amps but haven’t had it on full blast for very long, maybe 30 seconds or so, with no heat issues. If the driver is flashed with the STAR firmware you can have an automatic step down option. I have 2 minutes on mine but haven’t had the light on long enough in full blast for the timed step down to kick in.