Multi driver circuit lights. FL-2 driver talk. Help by electronic gurus needed!

Several are probably familiar with the FL-2 and its siblings. HKJ review of a 3A small torrid version here. Links to several shops selling them. RMM might be getting some with low voltage cut off for 3 cells too.

Tom E and many others have used these in BTU shockers and similar lights. These drivers become direct drive on high when you have the same amount of cells in series as emitters in series.

Heat, possible issue.

When direct drive they don't product much heat since they just "bypass the amps." When regulated and working as a buck driver they can fairly easy overheat if they don't have adequate cooling. The higher the output, the more cooling needed. I did some torture testing on one of mine out in the open with zero cooling. Killed it 5 times. Parts and wires fell off due to heat. it normally takes around 3 minutes to kill it. I just put it back togheter when it died, and it kept going. :D One time it smelled really bad when it died, I was sure that was it, but it kept going and strangely it still lives. With my little testing I killed it at 3A, 5A, and a bit higher, with small torroid and with large. You can resistor mod it for more than 5A, but they don't like it and easily drop output and act a bit funny as far as I have seen. (Sufficient cooling might fix with that?)

Recipe: How to make kick ass lights with a single FL-2 style driver?

BTU - 3s emitters, 3 series cells

Most get the recipe. It can be done in with several lights, and in similar ways in a bunch of multi-emitter lights. At least in theory. I have not seen many people do these... But there is no doubt there is many people who want stupid bright lights out there..

2 emitters, 2 cells

4 emitters (2s2p), 2 cells.

6 emitters (3s2p) , 3 cells

9 emitters (3s3p), 3 cells

12 emitters (3s4p), 3 cells

There are many more setups, but you get the idea. Sick direct drive setups are easily available in a bunch of multiemitter lights with configurations like this. Unless anyone beats me, ill probably do a 9 emitter light at later time. Setups like these makes multi-emitter MT-G2 lights way easier too if done correctly.

What if you want great output in a light where the emitter number does not divide nicely on the battery number?

Here is where it gets tricky. But first lets try some stuff.

Lets take a 2 series light , 3 emitter light as example. There are not many good driver options for this if you want extreme output.

You might be able to fit 3 x LD29. Im not 100% sure if it works perfectly inside a light, but it did seem to work halfway out of a light.. :p

(don't mind some extra wires used for current readings)

At less than 3A per emitter it will not be super kick ass though, and some lights can not fit that many drivers. it will also become a bit expensive...

The LD-29 can be resistor modded, but personally im not a huge fan of modding that driver. This setup would not be very convenient in a light with a bunch of emitters though. So back to the FL-2 style driver. A setup with two of those drivers could possibly work in a bunch of multi-emitters lights where a single driver circuit can not do the job.

2s emitter, 2s cells

4A (to each emitter) with green Protected NCR18650B (I did not think they would deliver that much)

Lets try a similar driver (modded to 3,9A) powering a single emitter.

Lets try and combine the two setups above. One driver in series with 2 emitters. One driver working as a buck driver regulated to 3,9A. (powered from 2 cells)

Boom, light... 3,93A regulated to the single emitter. 2,9A to each of the other two direct drive emitters (cells are slightly drained now) and at high load (5A+) its obvious that the direct drive output is not as impressive anymore. Still, this setup could deliver 10 amp totalt to the 3 emitters with fresh green Protected NCR18650B. Pretty awesome for a 2 cell light with some nice features.. And with the correct cells, it could deliver more. J)

Im not sure how large the difference in output would be in the beam with 1A+ difference in current, especially not when voltage sinks more and two of the emitters sinks more.

But if you had a 7 XM-L light, then the middle emitter could be regulated to say 3A, and the emitters around it could be direct drive.. J)

The issue is, this does not work. :_( Due to some sort of PWM interference??? When running the dual driver setup, the driver circuit powering the 2 emitters have some flickering issues on low and medium. On top of that, the modes got messed up, despite having the same modes in the beginning. One driver was suddenly on high, while the other where on low after several quick on/off startups..

The big question?

Is it possible to do some sort of master/slave setup and have this type of setup work??

Anyone have some genius thoughts regarding setups like these?

Close up pictures of the driver in the review thread.

Small differences in cycle time end up shifting multiple mcu’s out of sync. I tried this before. Taskled used to sell a bflex that could be slaved but no longer. It would be nice to be able to slave a multimode buck driver.

But could it be possible to remove the MCU from one of them, and connect all the "traces/connections" where it was connected to the other drivers MCU or something like that?

(Im not much into these things, but I can test stuff if someone gives me a simple to understand recipe suited for dummies :) )

I’ve been watching for threads like that for years. The Techjunkie/OL master slave mod is what lured me here.

This thread should probably just be overlooked now. But in case anyone wanted to try and make kick ass large multi emitter lights with the FL-2 driver like described in OP. Based on some of the testing I did on a bench setup it does not work..

3 cells in series and 3 emitters in series works.. This we know... Direct drive awesomeness...

3 cells in series and 6 emitters (3s2p) did not work.. (output was lower than 3emitters in series)

Using two FL-2 style driver circuits one for each set (3s emitters) does not work either. High works. low and medium gets strange pulses.....

Ive been subscribed since the beginning. Thanks for testing so many different combinations and not giving up trying.

Any chance you could do a pictorial of how you modded them for different currents?

See this picture (from HKJ review). On the upper right side is a place with 2-4 resistors. They are stacked. I have seen slightly different values on these drivers.. 5A driver usually have 4xR200 in that location I believe. Just remove one or two if you want less current. If you have a 3 amp version, add R200, or R100 depending on what current you want... I cant remember the exact values for the exact currents, but that is where the business happnes.. :)

About the some of the "concepts" in this thread. It seems like RMM have a zener modded FET 105C driver that can handle 3S cells and 3S emitters. That might be the solution to making fully programmable direct drive drivers for larger multi-emitter lights....

I thought about a setup like this and wondered if the modes would stay synchronized. Thanks for trying it in real life.