My Nitecore R40 died.

Just died with gradual non-usability of the higher modes and then dimming. Now, it won’t charge or light up. I noticed it gets hot staying on the charger. I am now suspiciously eyeing in-light charging lights!

1 Thank

Honestly, I have been skeptical about the quality and longevity of the built in charging circuits for some time. They seem to be all the rage these days and are very convenient. Especially for those with no dedicated chargers. But, long term (and how well they treat the cells), yes I remain skeptical.
Sorry about your light… and that is not what I would call a “budget” light too!

1 Thank

Sorry man !

Thats why i prefer to not change my batteries on the devices, use devices with replaceable “common” batteries, use proper batteries and proper charger !

1 Thank

Yup, same here.
Every once in a while, I’ll get a flashlight with a proprietary or non-removable cell, but my real flashlights don’t use those types of cells. :+1:

1 Thank

Been saying this for years. Built in chargers are a complete gimmick.

2 Thanks

It’s a nice feature to have, in case of an emergency or once in a while… but not for using it every single time !

The battery isn’t the problem?

I have lights with a built in charger that consist of a standard socket and two leads, one to either end of the battery.

Cellphones, laptops etc do it, so I don’t really see the issue with lights. Especially given most normal users don’t want separate charger for the ‘weird’ batteries.

I do agree that it’s often badly implemented, and the charging port is a potential weak-point for waterproofing.

OP, does indeed sound like the cell is toast. Do you have a voltmeter, can you test the voltage of the cell?

I googled reviews for this light and one review said it doesn’t have low voltage protection (LVP) have you been running it until it’s completely dead? (This is generally agreed to be bad for Lithium ion cells).

1 Thank

Built in chargers are not bad, they work on laptops, phones, etc. The issue is when implemented on an inexpensive budget light made from a relatively unknown company that has no mandated quality controls and is manufactured following absolutely no standards.

There is a reason why Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc dont carry Convoy, Wurrkos, Astrolux, etc

These flashlight companies have absolutely zero quality control and safety controls in place. You get what you get, if you dont like it, tough !@#$.

Sad but true.

1 Thank

Is this the original one or the V2? Are you charging with the cable or that induction thing? What is the battery voltage? Unfortunately you probably can’t put in a regular battery because it requires that proprietary. I would not suspect it has anything to do with the charging circuit.
Edit
Need to know what the onboard battery indicator shows and a voltmeter.

This is the original. Charged on the cradle. And I can’t use any other battery.

Everybody should have a multimeter to measure flashlight battery voltage and car batteries and key fob remote batteries and electrical outlets in the house.