My recent adventures in 14500-land: one D3AA and a trio of TS10s

I just took this picture comparing my four 14500 flashlights, from top to bottom: Emisar D3AA Nichia 519A 5700K dedomed (purchased (2024/06/11, “batch 2” with the o-ring destruction issue fixed), Wurkkos TS10v1 4000K, Wurkkos TS10v2 4000K ‘new batch’ (purchased 2024/06/30) and finally my custom laser-engraved TiTS10v2 4000k (purchased 2023/09/25):

This side-by-side (err, top-to-bottom) comparison basically follows my order of preference:

1. the D3AA beating every other light with a very neutral color (just very slightly pinky) showing nicely why the 519A is the top LED, and very well formed, perfectly shaped beam (no doubt thanks to its high-quality Carclo optics);

2. The original (bought at launch in 2022) TS10v1, coming up very very close to the D3AA due to its miraculous CSP LEDs; not quite as good, but more or less indistinguishable unless it’s put up side-by-side with the D3AA; lots of other good qualities (better than the D3AA in many aspects IMO) and costing about a half of the top choice.

3. My recently purchased TS10v2, clearly not as good as the D3AA and the original TS10v1, but still passable, and bought at discount for about a 3rd of the D3AA price;

4. The beautiful-bodied, but ugly-beaming, TiTS10… what a disappointment that light was, and not only for the horrible beam color/tint, but also for other issues (some of which I knew going in, like Titanium’s bad heat-conducting properties and rougher threading, but also some I didn’t: battery length intolerance, mushier and sometimes unresponsive switch, and of course the really bad LEDs).

Will update this post later and add more details.

3 Thanks

congrats on your 14500 options, here are a couple of my favorites:

I much prefer the form factor, hand feel, and tailswitch of the TS10, but dont care for the stock LEDs. Fortunately, there are replacement mcpcb so the TS10 can use Nichia LEDs.

The D3AA has by far the best off the shelf LED options. However, I dislike the preflash on the lowest mode, and between 10 to 45 lumens. And the blip in the ramp at 10 lumens really bugs me.

I much prefer the user experience of my TS10.

2 Thanks

Depending on how easy they’re to replace, I could well get one of these for my TiTS10. Any pointers?

See this thread by Zwerglein02

(not my pic)

1 Thank