Mystery LEDs

Been surfing AliExpress and came across some interesting looking LEDs, thought I should put them somewhere in case people find them interesting. I do not endorse these LEDs and my comments are purely speculative. This topic will be continually updated with new finds.

The list is split into two parts. The first list contains LEDs that show potential to be useful. The second list contains oddities that I find amusing, but nothing more.

Potentially useful LEDs:

1. 3535 LEDs in claimed 97+ CRI and 90+ R9, R12, main thread here. A test may be coming soon.

2. 3535 glass-covered LED with 1mm^2 LES, potential to be a super thrower replacing Osram white flat. Official site. Same site has lots of random high power RGBW and UV offerings.

3. Super cheap 3535 UV LED in the 750mA power class, in various wavelengths from 365nm to 415nm. Maybe the 415nm could be used to build violet-pumped high CRI LEDs?

4. 3535 LED in 95 CRI, but low drive current. The website claims that the CCT can be customized from 2000K to 10000K, and domeless could be an option.

5. 3535 LED claimed as 95 CRI.

6. Quad-die 3V 5050 UV LED at 365nm that can handle 3000mA!

Curious oddities:

1. Single-die LED with a peanut-shaped double dome.

2. 12 UV dies crammed into a single package.

1 Thank

Most of them aren’t available in Germany, so if I should test them I need someone who send me some of these emitters to Germany.

Some of them are interesting though.

1 Thank

Think I ordered those (or similar) 5050 365nm LEDs for my SP10 UV build but went with 3535 footprint LED (SBT-10X-UV) in the end so as to use the stock MCPCB.

Maybe I’ll slap it into a host one day, should be a fun light.

1 Thank

The main issue I anticipate with the 5050 one is the donut hole from quad-die design. But I could see someone building a monster mule-type flooder by cramming them into arrays, these seem way cheaper than the LG or Seoul Viosys or Nichia options currently available. If you end up testing the 5050, I would be very excited to see!