Name a Narrow/Slim/Skinny/Tube "throwy non-thrower"

How about a Uniquefire M9? Smaller than a C8 and the reflector is pretty deep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UniqueFire-M9-CREE-XM-L-T6-5-Modes-950LM-LED-Flashlight-Electric-Torch-/251698115419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9a60735b

This one has a very deep reflector and excellent build quality. Sadly they screwed up the reflector design so it doesn’t actually focus or throw very well in stock form. Might have modding potential though.

In another thread, you successfully expressed your disdain for TIR optics. TIR still seems like Snake Oil Magic to me, and I’ve studied it enough I think I understand it. But I do love the beam, on these fly-eye 60° cheapies.

You objected due to your experience, and I was wondering (not wanting to clutter up the other thread) what beam widths you’ve tried?

I went with 60° because I absolutely do want FLOOD (all caps/shouting on purpose) and figure for my needs, a lot of flood will effectively “throw” light further than I need it anyway. So far, so good, but I am starting to notice the “back end” of the beam falls off quite a bit.

OTOH, I do “get it” (at least I like to tell myself I do) re: Throw & would like to build exactly what you’re posting about here, a “roll-of-coins” sized thrower, with a TIR. “For camping”, if SWMBO asks! :wink:

Could you opine on the “best” FWHM angle for “Throw Uber Alles” in a 20mm head? I’ve found a budget source & plan to try this, but he only sells 5 at a time & I’d rather not get stuck with 4 lumps of plastic if, say 5° is too tight to be useful or 10° doesn’t throw well. TBH, I’ve read every thread I can find on it & can’t make up my mind.

Thanks,

Dim

I tried a few TIR’s when I was first starting with lights, but I haven’t revisited them after I decided they weren’t for me. They’re great for making a smooth beam, but I’ve tried 10 and 15° and neither of them had really any throw compared to a smooth reflector. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

I use a dedomed TX25C2, just a bit bigger than a SC600

I have a UF-C108S. 28MM HEAD, 24MM Body , 130mm long. XML . Ref 25 X 16MM. Google Search gets UF Sales Page & Pics, 2+ Sellers at $15.00. Also a link back to BLF. http://www.szhomesafety.com/plus/view.php?aid=33 ————————————— UniqueFire C108S Cree XM-L U2 $11.98

But that won’t give you a throwy light.

op - why no XP-E2’s?

Not enough max lumens.

A de-domed XPG2 should give as much or more lux than a domed XPE2 anyways.

I put a dedomed xpg2 in a s3/t12 host. They have the short OP reflectors... i put a 4.5A driver in it and never braided or upgraded the driver spring so it's only at 3.4A, but I think it throws better than my s4 with a 6A driver doing 4.5A to an xml2. Both on noctigons.

im totally with you on finding the best combination of throwy vs size.

I’ve got a SMO P60 I put together with an XP-G2 driven by a 3.04A 105C and it throws a pretty tight hotspot especially when compared to my xml2 p60 and fenix pd35. It’s currently in a solarforce l2m.

I’m sure with a dedome that could only improve?

Indeed.

Throw (as in: how bright is the hotspot) is caused by three things:

-reflector diameter How deep it is does not affect throw, it affects hotspot size and spill diameter

-reflector quality. High end lights tend to get more throw out of a given reflector diameter

-die surface brightness. Dedomed XP-E2 driven at max (2.5A) has the highest surface brightness (there's even a 'Torch' version now that is a little brighter even). Dedomed XP-G2 if driven at 5+A comes close. XM-L2 at any possible current does come close.

A well-performing AR-coated lens adds a bit of throw too.

Why then does an S2 reflector throw further than an S2+? (all else being equal)

I think it doesn't, or the 'orange-peel' is lighter.

I like the S2 reflector better because it gives more hotspot, and I do not care about very wide spill.

If a deeper reflector gives a tighter hotspot and less spill with the same total lumen output, how does it not translate to more throw?

It is the other way around, a deeper reflector gives a wider hotspot (of the same brightness) at the expense of the outer part of the spill area.

Sounds like I need to go home and play with my lights some more…

Fits your criteria of 28MM, I just compared it to my Convoy S2 (Old style) and it is brighter and appears (indoors at least) to be the better thrower.
With an dedoomed XP-G2 it should give you what you desire. Maybe even just dedome the stock XM-L U2 for starters.
Stock the driver is High, Low, Strobe so that will probably have to go.
Good Luck with whatever you chose,

Keith

Nobody has mentioned the diameter of the hole at the base of the reflector. I think the wider base gives a shorter reflector better throw than a longer reflector with a narrow base. theres a pretty noticeable difference between a lot of the S series reflectors, the pills are different lengths too, and one or two are even different size threads, but everything can be interchanged with use of the right correlating parts.