need a headlight for work

as title says i’ll need a new headlight for work, today i started working at port docks but i didnt have any schedule for night shifts yet, but i want to have a light i can put on work helmet since they warned us that we will have to manually empty containers and be close to 70 ton vancarriers going around and rail cranes moving, so besides the visibility gear i want to make sure i can be seen ok and also flood the inside of a 20ft container, also im doing 2nd year of course to become electrician so i will use that for business practices thats when we get sent after class to do work hours on a work site. having magnet cap and headband is the only important requirement, so lets hear the experts opinions

Skilhunt H04 519a 4500K, or RC version if you like proprietary charging.

2 Thanks

20ft is not that large, so I’m pretty sure almost any headlamp (note: headlight is what you have on your car :wink: ) would do. I think most important attributes would be runtime (so you don’t have to change batteries too often), in-lamp charging (so you don’t have to take batteries out for recharging) and resistance (to survive falls, impact, etc). Depending on what’s inside the containers, good CRI would be good too so you are able to distinguish colors well.

This one was in my shortlist a while ago and I think would serve you well: Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Magnet USB - LED Headlamp | Armytek.com; they even sell helmet mounting kits for it (in case your helmet doesn’t have proper attachment points/hooks).

For that kind of environment, I would try and get a blinker on the BACK of my helmet, so vancarriers, cranes etc moving on my six have less of a chance of failing to see me. Perhaps a bike flasher attached to the rear part of the headband would do it.

PS: do they still use Bellotis for hauling containers around?

EDIT: this is the Nichia (better LED with better CRI) version: Wizard C2 Pro Nichia Magnet USB - High CRI Light | Armytek.com

I literally don’t have any Armyteks, but Markus likes them a lot and has a bunch of reviews of various’n’sundry ATs.

They’re pretty rugged, resistant to nasty weather like rain and snow, think he even changed a battery underwater in one. (Yeah, I was all like “wtf??”.)

He even blowed up one, too.

Probably at least industrial-rated if not military.

1 Thank

I use 4 of those those plastic headlamp clips that petzl sells to stop the headlamp strap sliding off a construction type helmet.

Armytek do a snazzy looking clamp for the brim of a helmet, I will probably pick one up at some point.

Petzl and another co (black diamond?) do rubber straps specifically for helmets, I’ve also considered ordering a strap and trying to get it to work with one of my headlamps.

Until you’ve had a few headlights in a variety pack of color temperatures and Cri ratings and switch locations and modes from less than a lumen to 1600 or 2000 lumens or 4000 lumens and different headbands and different clips or lack of clips and very floody vs a spot that you have to chase around by moving your head every way you want to see and charging options and waterproof ratings, you don’t know what you want.

1 Thank

Plus, get a bit of diffusion film. Especially if using it mainly for close-in work (20ft containers would qualify), you’d want a more even blanket of light to avoid that “tunnel” effect.

Unless you like being an owl and having to constantly “aim” your head at what you want to look at, a wider field-of-view is just… way better. Even if you have to crank up the output for the same intensity.

And either keep spare cells, or if it’s chargeable, make sure it can be used while charging unless you can afford the downtime vs breaks, lunch, etc.