Need help choosing unprotected 18650 for Convoy S5

I remember reading all these disastery threads before I joined BLF and they can put you off especially as I didn’t really know. Even now after rereading them, I am wondering if I should really leave a cell inside a light I use often. “What if it vents?” “Will the light explode?” :ghost:

Yea, there is always a small risk but the chances should be low for you at least. Your looking for good cells & you won’t abuse them.

You can start out (or stick with) Li-Mn / IMR.
Did you go for those AW IMR 2000mAh 18650s? Any li-ions on the way?

I didn’t get any AW yet. I thought they were out of stock but I noticed two AW 2000mAh is 26 USD shipped, compared to 14.79 USD for a pair of Panasonic 3400mAh.

Also, 2000mAh doesn’t sound too low but I was also planning on using the ML-102 with a cell to top up my phone. I’m not really sure how much it needs to be.

Vapors aren’t the real problem in a chemical factory (being more of a “normal course of business” kind of deal), but that’s darned interesting.

It’s amazing what you can observe, just by looking!

Not tending to trust blogs and chatroom posts (present company EXcluded, of course!), I went and found something only mildly interesting if directly relevant:

GCMS Analysis of Gas Generated from Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery Cells

You’ll notice there’s no HF, and there are those unlabelled peaks… Not sure what to make of this, especially with his 80C temperature limit, but it is directly relevant.

But let’s look at the CPF story itself. When I was maybe 10, we found a discarded gallon bottle of H2SO4. Yes, I sniffed it. Do NOT try this at home!! But, it seems to have somehow enhanced my sense of smell. All ends well in Dimbo’s weird world! So this story pushes a couple of my buttons. But wait…

HF, sniffed or even touched, is exactly as bad as the writer implies!!! His claim of “last night” isn’t plausible, given the rest of the story, but a cautionary tale isn’t told in court. So don’t let me diminish his advice. Think! Pay Attention! Be Very Careful With Chemicals! Even DiHydrogen Monoxide will kill you quicker than keep you alive!

But WAIT…

For DECADES now, in “the land of the Free, the home of the Brave”, “we the People” have allowed anonymous agents of our government to add Flouride to our water supply. You can say that softer, less scary, but it’s no less a fact.

If you track down the HF lead, guess what the MSDS says? No, really you must guess or I will pout!!

Keep your sense of humor…

Here’s some Truth, to still Laughter in you forever:

Hydrofluoric Acid Chemical Safety Information

If you’re not going to read the whole thing, before you drink public water again, at least read the last page:

Ask your nearest bureaucrat, how do they put Sodium Fluoride (NaF) in the water they make you pay to drink? They’ll bury you in BS, but you can beat them back with the Material Safety Data Sheet for Sodium Fluoride . Especially this section:

Yeah. You’re right. This doesn’t have a dad-gum thing to do with outgassing or any other Safety issue of 18650s.

But it could help explain the True Believers’ discomfort with Facts, Logic and Truth… “May affect behavior”…

At least it should bring some perspective to the CPF story…

Speaking WITH you all, of course, not ABOUT any of you!!!

Dim
(And no, I haven’t ginned up a dead-short test rig yet! All this put a bee in my bonnet about finding a willing chemist with a GCMS to test the result.)

That’s interesting! 80°C, you’d expect it to vent already! :ghost:

I did find this, which might be biased? I don’t know what kind of Li-ion cells it refers to:

But then this makes it sound like there needs to be a fire involved for it to be toxic:

PG/Duracell say in their MSDS:

But these are primary cells not rechargeables. :weary:

AW tends to charge a lot. You can get the same quality, often the same exact cell elsewhere for less.
Efest IMR 18650 2000mah outperforms AW IMR 2000mah on HKJ’s charts.
Panasonic CGR18650CH are kind of in between Li-mn / li-ion & are suppose to be good too… If the FT forum report of one venting hasn’t turned you off them. :face_with_monocle: :ghost:

For li-ion I’d go for sanyo 2600mah over panasonic. The 3400mah sounds nice but it can’t keep its voltage up.
Scaru’s Li-ion Battery Safety and Shopping Guide with HKJ’s data.

Ahh, thank you! I hadn’t settled on the Panasonics. I need to do more reading. >.<

Aww, these are temporarily sold out and apparently discontinued (can’t find anything directly from Panasonic about this though):
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001980/1141101-panasonic-cgr18650ch-rechargeable-2250mah-3-7v

I believe all panasonic "CGR" cells use an in-between chemistry. Panasonic seems to use "NCR" for their li-ion cells.

Panasonic is definitely high quality cells but our leds will dim before we can get 3400mah out of their NCR18650B. Even for charging a cell phone, 5 volt usb boost converters get less efficient & provide less current to your phone as battery voltage drops.

Panasonic "3400mah" & Sanyo 2600mah. HKJ's charts.

Ahh I see! Well, it seems convoluted to order Efest IMR (I have sent them an email for a quote), so I may get some Sanyo from FastTech.

www.panabat.com/documents/cgr18650ch-data-sheet.pdf‎

Looks like I won’t be needing that rig after all. There’s the dead short test (“akin to dropping a wrench across the positive and negative terminals”), writ large! But really,

You really can be a buzzkill. :smiley:

Seriously, Thanks for taking that off my plate!

But he starts with the “Don’t leave the battery in the charger once it is fully charged” method. Somewhere I found some recommendation that Life Cycle would be extended by holding them at “Full Charge” (whether that’s 3.9 or 4.2 — apparently 3.9v Full is another way of extending its Life)… I don’t want to start duelling with PDFs, but I’m working my way through Sony’s Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries Technical Handbook but it’s dense. I did find this:

where the UUT passed. That’s consistent with my limited experience with “giveaway” chargers. Jump to the Abuse Tests on p22… I might get an “Intrinsically Safe” rating after all, if this can be backed up empirically.

That’s all just Sony’s opinion, of course, but they seem to have developed some useful information. I’m still looking for ANY analysis of the outgassing in the case of overtemp/overvoltage. Your guy said

, which is still not “user-friendly”.

They seem awfully confident, for not disclosing the reactions of the Li2CO3

Of course that’s just one source, but you mentioned you’re tired. I figured this would knock you right out. :smiley:

Now I’m going to take the easy route & put on my Indiana Jones hat & try to go dig up where the horror stories come from (Actually I think you hit it already: Lithium is not Lithium-Ion!)…

Evermore Dim

I don’t understand! :~ Did you want to do these tests?

These look good, no? Nice and shiny… I hope they reply soon! :bigsmile:

It can be annoying to get efest batteries. E-cig sites carry them. Myself & others have done FT product requests.
I don’t normally like getting batteries from ebay but I went for efest imr 10440 from Saftymind (100%, 4,761 reviews)… No efest imr 18650 2000mah listed from saftymind though. :~

Careful Indie, the locals say there be some nasty snakes around.

Nooooo. I wanted to blow up a battery!! But Mythbusters-style, not in an emergency-repair situation like on Main St.

Still, the guy with the GCMS taunts me…

I believe in knowing, because I know I don’t like believing…

Ooooo! You can buy through Alibaba? We should talk. I can’t touch the MOQ’s most of those guys need, even to quote a price. But I do think I could convert a lot of the stuff they list into ca$h locally…

But I’m the last one you should ask about a ‘store-bought’ 18650!! I only had two, “free” with a torch, and they weren’t worth the cost of electricity used to charge them. I’m a “laptop pulls” guy, especially with high-end brands like Dell & HP… The bigger the whale, the fresher the plankton. Dell gets first cut of whatever {manufacturer name} has to offer, and when the wee circuits fail, another batch falls almost directly into my hands, which seems to work well enough for me. I wish they’d use 14500s!!! I can’t prove this, but I believe that the ones that get left on docking stations or chargers seem to last longer, to tie in to a point in an earlier post…

Sorry, those “Nice and shiny…” ones do look good for the money.

They is too many Motherf&&&ing Snakes on this Motherf^ing Thread!

Now that’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are!

I want the one that doesn’t charge at all.

After all, I am…

Dim!
(PS: I want a vacuum cleaner that really sucks!)

I have worked with electricity for most of my life and always bear in mind the old adage; that it(electricity) is “a good servant but a bad master”. I know absolutely zip about lithium batteries but take the same approach i.e find out everything you can and then jump in once you know. I think you already know more than most!

My brother! You will find many friends here!

This may help, or make your head explode:
Sony’s Lithium Ion Rechargeable Batteries Technical Handbook

It’s a start, anyway (and it was buried in a ridiculously long post).

Nice to meet you!

Dim