Need some help, multimeter

I was wondering if I could get some advice on taking tailcap readings for amps. I purchased a cheap digital multimeter and checked a few lights including the Tangsfire c8 and I’m coming up with 1amp for all the lights I have. Maybe thats what their pulling but one of them is a custom tested at above 4 amps. Should I invest in a new meter, or Iam I doing something wrong? When I test my batteries their all coming up at 4.2v.

Invest in a few dollars worth of 10 gauge silicone wire.

I was receiving a max reading of about 2.65A with stock leads, then upgraded to 10 gauge leads and have now been able to get much more precise readings (2.78 using a 2.8A driver, whereas before would have seen 2.6-2.65) up to around 7.5A, but should be able to measure higher as well.

You could probably drop to 14ga wire (I use 12ga). I currently have a short set of leads (12 inches) made with standard automotive primary wire from Radio Shack with banana plugs (also from Radio Shack) soldered onto one end with the other ends just "tinned" with solder (i.e. just melt solder to the bare strands of wire to solidify them). Then a good test is to check currents with a current regulated driver (like a Nanjg) to see if you get results close to what you'd expect. Could be an issue with a cheap meter too, but you will want the good leads anyway, so proceed with making the leads and see how your "cheap" meter does first. And by the way, I wouldn't trust the el-cheapo Harbor Freight meters for tailcap currents at all, even with upgraded leads.

-Garry

Thats the one, on sale for 5 bucks

Here's a post (comment #522) in the KD C8 thread where I first posted my issue with my cheap Harbor Freight meter not reading right with 14ga romex. Some may read ok, but I don't trust mine at all.

-Garry

I use this DMM it’s not much more expensive than the cheapie HF meter. Simple autoranging, works very well for everything I use it for.

You might wish to read this thread too. I recommended this Mastech meter to tallboybass and he now loves it. Just another option. I believe the Innova linked above is available at some Walmarts too.

-Garry

Use some heavy speaker wire and take the meter apart and run the leads all the way to the board, solder them directly.
After doing this on my Harbor Freight meter, it now reads accurately.
I bought a better meter and it’s leads are sucky as well, so that one will also have to get the solder treatment.

I like to leave my ends un-tinned so that you can press the strands into the groves. If the strands break over time, you just cut off the end and re strip the insulation.
As always, YMMV,Later,
Keith