New Astrolux (E01) XP-L 18350 light

And the dimension?

Thanks for the info sofar. Of course I would like to know some modding details: can the emitter be reached, is the driver 17mm?

Kenjii - no rush, we can wait. Well, maybe a couple of nanoseconds... Thanks for the info so far! BG is really disappointing on providing correct or useful info on these.

Looks like the driver and switch are on a T-shaped board

Hi,

i was swimming with my kids…. info coming soon. One protected battery is left, all others are unprotected :wink:

Regards

Kenjii

Hi,

ok, here we go.

The battery tube is 19mm diameter. A protected Sanyo 18650 (69mm, 18,5mm) fits but is at the limit. I don´t have any protected 18350. The battery tube with tailcap of the E02 has a length of 75,42mm and the E01 43,84mm. So in theory 18350 up to 37,42mm should fit.

The driver is 21,3mm diameter. I think drivers up to 22mm could fit. The driver is not glued because you can move it a little bit. But it seems stuck somewhere, possibly somewhere at the switch. I don´t want to press it out and disassemble the whole light before doing the review about the lights :wink:

Edit: Overall length is 105,4mm for the E02 and 74,3mm for the E01.

The LED is not glued and not screwed. Just press fit with a good amount of thermal paste. The Bezel is not glued and the reflector threaded into the head.

Regards

Kenjii

Thanks

Thanks, but how did you get to the LED to see the thermal paste? What is the overall lengths of the two lights?

Edit: - ahh, ok, so the total length of the E02 is bout the same as a SWM C20C (105 mm), which is a good compact size for an 18650 EDC light. $30 is a little steep for these lights, depending on the finish, specially since I'm only interested in them as a host anyway. The Group Buy price is decent enough. Still I have to learn more though - need to know the driver and e-switch setup, and how they can be upgraded to a custom OSHPark driver, but I can wait for the review or tear down if need be.

Thanks Again!

Edited :slight_smile:

Definitely a little concerned about the mode sequence.

Needs a 50 lumen or something mode between the moonlight and the next mode.

Apart from that it sounds good to me.especially if you can have both tubes for it.

Needs parasitic drain measured too.

Kenjii’s your pictures are hands down the best I’ve seen yet of this Astrolux, Very Very nice pictures indeed, Thank you Kenjii for posting those for many reason.
Prior to seeing your pictures, and just looking at BG’s pics, every time I’d look at this light my first thought was mountain bike tires, appeared to me as seriously aggressive knurling.
I’ve got the E02 18650 on it’s way as of the 28th and have had amazing luck with speed of delivery from BG. so hope to have this light in 9 –12 days.
Edit: Removed comments, just saw Kenjii is already on it, can’t hardly wait for your review and more great pictures please…! Thank You Kenjii

Thanks Kenjii for those quick infos about the E01 (and E02)!! :wink:

i received my samples this evening…

i hope i can write the review tomorrow.

some fast facts:
nice lights!
well built
AR coated lens
eats up to 4 A

NOT the BLF A6 driver! not even close!!
funny UI
not ideal mode spacing
NO LVP

Looking forward to your and Kenji’s review.
Do these lights have a lock-out mode? Or can it only be physically locked out by unscrewing head or tail?
I guess that for this group buy improvements are too late ? (like mode spacing improvement)

only physical lockout

maybe in s later revision some of our rants will be used to evolve them… :wink: :smiley:

ohhh great…funny ui?
first things first, does it require you to hold switch to turn on/off?

I have received the E02 yesterday and I think I am not very happy at all, IMHO it’s probably the worst light Manker has made yet, really cheaply made so it seems to me,
And the claim of having the BLF A6 driver and battery check which I believe to be untrue.
I would not recommend this light at all, there is one tear down review I’ve seen posted on 4/2 when my light was half way here and he graphed the amps and there’s no voltage protection per that graph and then the driver issue, I can’t see how that’s a BLF A6 driver, maybe I’m missing something,
That review put some great pictures up of the switch and the driver and it’s all maybe false advertising, I don’t know, I really don’t know what to think of this light, but it sure is cheaply built and certainly not worth what I paid for it.
Sorry for the negative comments but I am serious about what I see here sitting on my desk, a big disappointment, heck not even big, I don’t believe they could have saved on materials anymore than they did, three threads on each end of the body tube? Really should use protected batteries with this light, never had a light I felt so unsure of than this one… Sorry again for such negative comments…
So OK I’m ready to get the foot in the mouth as mentioned by SawMaster… Let me have it…
Edit: I was able to actually put a nibble top protected in it and wouldn’t run it without one IMHO

Heh, don’t sweat it at all. Just your honest first impressions. Following all the details coming out in the feedback, it became obvious it’s an e-switch, therefore, the BLF A6 driver can’t possibly work. Problem is Neal has been out, so no one can tell him what’s going on. The stupid BangGood product listing hasn’t been updated - still has all the false information. I totally agree this has been falsely advertised and listed, and still is that way. I’d be demanding a full refund if I ordered one based on the listing.

Just wrote an error report, and entered a question - dunno if they read them…

Hey thank you Tom, I can’t think of anyone I’d rather have heard this from than you, I’ve always felt your the e switch man,
And I have thought about doing exactly what you have suggested, tell BG it’s not what you’ve sold it as and I do want my money back… that’s exactly how I do feel.
My honest opinion with what I saw in a picture tear down review with a amp draw graph is that with no LVP this is a mandatory protected cell light and it might be or is potentially dangerous IMO, and then with all the other garbage this is just a bad deal of a light, not to mention what I paid, however the member who’s site I saw that tear down on should post those pics here, well unless doing so would mess up the other deal that’s going on with this light and I think I’ve said enough, probably will follow your advice Tom.
Thank you Tom, I sincerely appreciate your opinion…
Edit: I stand corrected the referred to pictures are posted here and completely transparently so, I apologize for my comment or insinuations, [review] Astrolux E01 / E02

Hi, wondering if there’s any long term review of this light so far? Thanks.