New Aurora/UltraFire 3xAA or 1x26650 light with XM-L LED

Must be in stock then. Probably the best time to order one but I will hold on till there's a review.

If this is waterproof, it can even be a great bike light solution. Finally an AA flashlight in compact form that may possibly have a long runtime (on low/medium). That's why I am particularly interested in the current draw in low/medium modes. Till now I have been riding with a single AA flashlight but it goes out around the 90 min mark, not ideal at all.

Any updates on any of these? Dr. Jones?

-Garry

Updates?

I bought both of them because I’m always looking for NiMH lights to give to friends/family,
won’t trust any of them to handle Li properly…

A note:
The fit with some AAs is tight (or even impossible)
I had bought a lot of the 2200mAh LSD AAs from HobbyKing
What I got were EMB brand cells (they’re good, I measured capacities)

The diameter of those is ~14.5mm. They don’t fit into the battery tube when assembled into the battery holder.
You can force them in, but the cell ‘wrap’ will scrape off.

The Tenergy & Sony cells I have are ~14.2mm, and they’re a tight fit.
You can slide them in with some care.

So here I’m using freshly charged Sony CycleEnergy 2000mAh AAs

Aurora SH-3AA:
High 2.3A
Med 0.5A
Low 0.05A

Same for the UltraFire SH-3AA

Unloaded battery ‘pack’ voltage after the measurements was 4.15V (—> 1.38V per AA)

-S

Thanks!
Can you share some more info, like mini review?!

A couple questions, for the Ultrafire version does the reflector come off like the pic on the Aurora version?
Also, how long did it take you to receive the lights after ordering them?

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_123719_5.jpg

Everything about this lights look OK-ish except for those darn blinky modes :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the family, Bort!

Thanks, I love the Bort photo!

Aloha and welcome to BLF Bort!

Hey Bort, is that the cook from the Muppet Show? I LOVE that guy !

I have a PA40 already. I’m wondering if there is any reason to get this. It’s pretty inexpensive. I thought I read it was driven hard. Anyone have both?

I dunno if that is the cook, I took it from the Bort at Itchy and Scratchy land on The Simpsons

the two Bort’s with Bart

So what’s the deal with these flashlights? They any good?

I gotta admit that I’m very tempted for $28 (Ultrafire version).

Some more data…

With a freshly charged MarsFire 26650
High 4.3A
Med 1.1A
Low 0.08A

I can’t find any difference between the Aurora or Ultrafire both electrically or mechanically, apart from the labeling.

I ordered both from DX.com
Separate orders, so one wouldn’t hold up the other
Aurora SH-3AA — Ordered 4/26 — Shipped 5/8 — Arrived 5/19
Ultrafire SH-3AA — Ordered 4/26 — Shipped 5/2 — Arrived 5/17

Disassembled they both look like this:

(Didn’t take the switch apart further)
(Excuse the hair, pic taken on the cat tree…)

Pill bottom

Pill top. Diameter ~28mm

The star on one of them seemed tight, the other one rotated easily.
Heat transfer from pill to body should be good, but from LED star to pill might need improvement.

Reflector

Diameter ~41mm

Length (bottom to top) of reflector is ~36mm

First try at beam-shots. Realized that I don’t have a single good place in my apartment for them,
no position with a bit of distance to an empty wall…
(Manual/fixed settings, the same for all the following)

26650 High

3xAA High

26650 Med

3xAA Med

26650 Low

3xAA Low

Distance to the wall was ~ 4 feet
Diameter of the outer ‘ring’ on the wall in the beam-shots was ~ 4feet

-S

Cool, I’ve been waiting for more info on these. Looks like the best value high output multi-aa light to me. Looks like a good birthday present for my dad or any non-flashoholic.

Thanks Sigster! I missed this update! So apparently it uses a typical C8 reflector like the Cyclone C88 does. Any comments on general build quality? How are the threads? (Typical cheap chinese threads which like to cross-thread easily?) How's the quality of the 3AA battery carrier? Good & solid? Cheap and feels like it'll crack/break easily? How's the tint? Cool blue?

Seems it's direct drive on high. Perhaps that works better with AA's than the nangj 2.8A or 3A driver? Any ideas on if this is true? Would direct drive enable it to work on alkalines better? (Not that I am suggesting alkalines for primary use.)

Thanks,
Garry

Yeah I’m wondering about alkalines in this too. Bad idea?