New Crelant 2AA

I wonder if it gets up to max brightness using a 14500 and a dummy cell.
Still tempted to get one :slight_smile:

I won one at CPFMP but still I have not received it.

Hope I will receive it next week…

PS: 14500 on it with a dummy cell? I will not sacrifice it…. I think that something between 320 and 450 lumen with 2xAA NiMh is more than enough

No harm in running it at 4.2 volts, but I do agree with you. If I want to run a 14500 then buy the V11a instead
http://www.crelant.com/a/English/Product_series/V%20series/2012/1015/29.html

CRELANT V21A LED Flashlight
Author:crelant Posted on:2012-10-15 19:25
Specifications

- CREE XM-L U2 bin LED with 50 000 hour life span.

- Maximum output: 450 lumen

- High efficient constant current circuit and output-luminance

- Microcontroller drive circuit

- Working voltage: 0.8 - 4.2 VDC

- Battery Types Supported: 2 xAA,

- Runtime(2AA): High output at 1A: 450 lumen max for 106 minutes.
Mid output at 300mA: 128 lumen max for 300minutes.
Low output at 30mA: 13 lumen max for 48 hours

- Mil. Spec. Type 2 hard anodized aircraft grade 6063-T6 aluminum alloy

- Bezel: stainless steel

- Colour: Gray

- Tactical forward tail cap switch

- High performance aluminum OP reflector with concentrated beam shot

- Waterproof: IPX-8 Standard

- Lens: Toughened ultra-clear coated and anti-abrasion glass

- Candle function with ability to stand on tail cap

- Dimensions: Length 156mm, Head Diameter 23mm

- Weight: 69g excluding battery

• Accessories: Lanyard, spare o-ring

Maybe you can unscrew it by turning the rubber tail cap like my Sky Ray S-A5.

1 I also won one. Still waiting. If it can’t handle 14500 and dummy-cell, it’s a POS imo. Not that I’d run it that way however. I really doubt it will do more than 200 lumens, if that, on 2AA.

The new V21A XML-U3 will allow the switch to be changed.

MountainKing, will you link the site/item for the light you mentioned?

http://www.md-lightsource.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=u3

V21A U3

V21A-U3

Hm, just wondering if the driver is the same on all lights. All V series lights have 0.8 - 4.2 VDC in description :expressionless: OK for V11 and V21, but V31…? :~

Yes, the driver is the same for all versions.

Thanks, mad :wink:
What about IMR batts? Safe enough to use them? (if the driver is CC on HI, I suppose there will be no prob on lower modes)

That I am not sude about. I know that there are some review samples out there and reviews are pending

If the driver is the same, then the V21A will handle 14500… but I will not use 14500 on this…

The problem is…. that some comments about the light say that it gives about 200 lumen…

In the web, they declare 450 lumen, in the box they declare 320 lumen, and a guy told that it produces about 200 lumen, but I dont know if that should be because a XML led produces a floodier beam than, i.e. a xp-g, making difficult to guess lumens just by measuring the hotspot

Thanks again, mad :wink:

It runs close to the 450 Lumens on 2x Eneloop (about 3v) the V11A runs on 1X 14500 at about 3.7-4.0v and is very bright.
On a single AA it isn’t that bright but it is functional. Same goes for the V31A on a CR123 vs. a 16340. It rune better on the 3.7v batteries but can be run on primaries.

I still don’t understand how it can achieve 450 lumens with 1A on 2xAA.
With 2xAA and 1.6A we can get something like 250 lumens usually

I received the light yesterday, and I am doing the review. With 2xAA, I think it is about 320 lumen. I think they wanted to say 450 lumen with 14500 and dummy cell, and 320 lumen with 2xAA.

They state this:

High output at 1A: 450 lumen max for 106 minutes.
Mid output at 300mA: 128 lumen max for 300minutes.
Low output at 30mA: 13 lumen max for 48 hours

If I am not wrong, a XM-L led driven at 1A gives about 300-350 lumen, not 450….

And my first test (with a not fully charged 2500mAh batt gave 65 minutes runtime on high until the big drop).

But I have to continue testing

I mentioned before , that I was not impressed with the performance of the Crelant V21A(2AA Eneloops) , especially if the price is higher than $30. Comparing it to a Klarus XT2A - it is almost as bright , but with a floodier beam.The beam has a greenish tint , just - meh.Although Crelant site states 450 lumens , on the box it says - 320 lumens.I would say it is at par with a well regulated 2AA - Jetbeam or Klarus .Somewhere around 250 270 lumens.The problem is the driver is not optimized for 2AA batteries.However, using a 14500 and a dummy the light comes alive.The greenish tint is gone , it is as bright as my Xeno E03 XM-L NW with a 14500.Mine does not have a removable battery cap - batteries go in by removing the head .Otherwise - very nice colour , anodization is good , knurling - very nice and grippy , does not slip from wet hands.Good deal at around $30-$35 , but not higher IMHO.

U3 is ~450

At least according to the first related site link on the left.