New "Emisar" Idea

Came over from Reddit, check out my posts on r/flashlight under the same username as it is here. Posted today about an idea I came up with for a new Emisar type light that would bridge the gap between the D1 and the D4. Wouldn’t be the same obviously as I don’t want to steal anyones design or step on any toes. Same body and head as the D4, but with the basic emitter design of the D1, with a few minor tweaks to the UI. Was thinking basically a light about the same size of the D4, but a single emitter with a combo spot/flood like most other lights, outputting about 1200lm, potted electronics, ramping UI but instead of the 6 click lockout, moving it up to 3. Would like it to be fully waterproof (I know the Emisar is), potted, drop proof (to a certain degree), basically a bomb proof small EDC light. I heard on Reddit that people have suggested this stuff to Hank before and haven’t gotten anywhere so I thought I’d propose the idea to this forum, the same forum that created the great BLF Q8 which I have two of!

Would there be any interest in a D4 type light, same form factor (about as tiny as you can get with an 18650), electronic switch, ramping UI with quick lockout, with a single emitter around 1200lm? Would that a feasible possibility?

Happy to be here at this forum, thanks all.

Hello again.

Other Emisar lights have FET+7153 drivers. Assuming this does get manufactured, or at least modded into existence, do you plan on using a FET driver for it, or did you want to achieve that with a boost driver or something like an 11x7135 driver?

Like you said, similar lights have been made before, except no budget lights I know of include potting. I know multiple members here have experience potting lights. Maybe someone can chime in on how difficult/expensive it would be.

I recognize you lol. Probably a boost driver, as I assume they’re more efficient? If I’m not correct feel free to correct me but isn’t potting basically filling the empty spaces in the head of the light where the goods are with some sort of compound? I read it could even be something like silicone which made me think of some type of caulk. Would there be any benefit to potting? The only lights I’m scared to drop are my Emisars and I’m not really sure why, they feel ‘delicate’ to me I guess, I’ve dropped my BLF Q8 and Thrunite Mini TN30 before on accident and I was more worried about the floor than the light.

A good boost driver will be much more efficient than a FET driver, yes.
As for potting, silicone and epoxy resin are the most common, I think. The two main methods are a conformal coating, when you just put some compound on the bits you’re worried about, and encapsulation, where you fill up all of the empty space. Now that I think about it, unless you were to mount the flashlight on a gun with significant recoil, a conformal coating would be enough. Zebralight and HDS use conformal coatings. With a boost driver, more potting would be better because of the larger components needed on the driver.

So……….Just like a Zebralight with ramping?

Hahahahaaa….you took the words from me as I was typing!

That would be awesome. I’d really like to see come to life with an SST-40 @ 5000K or warmer. May even aproach the 1500 plus lumen output with that LED. Good idea.

I like the idea, but yeah, that is basically making a ZL.

I like my D4 and liked my D4S before it died after a short fall.

In my opinion, emisar isn’t the light you turn to for stable lumens or dependability. They are cutting edge and about pushing the envelope of performance.

If Hank did decide to build something like you described, I would buy one. But I would buy almost anything he makes out of curiosity alone.

I hope Hank keeps pushing the performance barriers and showing what is possible in a small, budget package.

I will continue to buy ZL for stability and dependability.

It’s probably also worth mentioning the Olight S2.

Emisar D4 single emitter non-hotrod EDC all rounder:

• interchangeable Yajiamei 20mm TIR
  • 16mm MCPCB
  • slimmer tube and head
  • 1×7135+8×7135 driver with a Zebralight low moon (less then 0.1lm)
  • proven RampingIOS V2 or Anduril (lite)
  • acupuncture-style flashing pins on the driver
  • (FWA3 pocket style clip but this would probably mean a redesigned body)
  • ( some sort of knurling could be nice)

Pretty sure I suggested this about 6-8 months ago when I was looking for a D4 sized light with RampingIOS.

I ended up just building a Short S2+ with Crescendo (Now H17Fx) and went on my way.

Edit: 3 click lockout would be extremely annoying as quite a few lights have 3 click battcheck. I compile all my Anduril lights with a 4 click lockout.

Note that D4 with 4 White Flats should offer nice intermediate throwiness between that of D4 and D1. In many ways different from what the OP suggested (and which is quite similar to several expressions I’ve seen in the past) but in many others that’s it.

(EDIT: Clearer expression)

I build something like that idea of a Skilhunt DS20. It has Luxeon V2. OP reflector. Fet+7135 driver. Andúril firmware. around 1400 lumens.
Used the battery low warning window to put an orange led behind controlled by Andúril.

If Hank couldnt do it with a D1S, I really doubt he would make it happen on a D1m(icro)

His problem was that his driver lacks regulation - and a single strong 18650 heavily overdrives a single White Flat.
But a single 18650 won’t overdrive 4 White Flats.

Though you don’t need Hank to do that. You can buy one from Vinh (or any other modder) or mod one yourself. With ready boards from Led4Power that’s one of easier mods (though the host is not the cheapest to learn on so I wouldn’t recommend that as the first mod).

I completely misread your post. I thought he wanted a single White Flat in a D4 Body.

So it sounds like it’s a hot idea, that may be almost already made, like a ZL with a different UI? If not, would this be something I could put into an S2 host or do I need an electronic switch? I don’t know much about making flashlights so I’d need help, I mainly just have an idea. Or maybe taking a ZL and flashing it to a different UI? Would you guys maybe recommend talking to Zebralight and seeing if they might be interested in taking one of their more popular models and making a standard and a new ramping UI version?

The Mk IV ZL’s already have a “programmable” UI. E-stwich UI’s, eg. Anduril won’t run on a mechanical switch light like the S2+. Flashing or modding ZL’s is nearly impossible due to their unibody, press fit bezel, potted electronics one piece driver - led board. Correct me if I’m wrong. However thare are a few people here who actually managed mod them. [MOD] Zebralight SC64c emitter swaps

Zebralight is a very proud and stubborn producer. From my point of view they refuse to listen to the helpful suggestions and demands of the flashlight community. They made a series of really stupid mistakes in their new lights which could have been easily avoided. A collaboration between ZL and Toykeeper would result in near perfect lights but I don’t think it is going to happen anywhere soon if ZL sees their own UI as perfect, while it’s not.

So true….

If Zebralight really wants to distinguish their Mark V’s once it’s time for another generation, I think an Anduril-like ability to switch between ramping and the Zebralight UL would interest a lot of people.