New Fenix TK61 looks like a nice thrower - available in CW and NW

I’ll have to order one then.When I get bored of it could I send it about 5hrs. north to get reborn as a super thrower? :wink:

600klux is possible with this light. several of vinhs modded tk61s including mine break this barrier with driver mods and de-dome

its an awesome light :slight_smile:

600KNow I have to change my shorts before work

Here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/25020. Again, vinh does the mods but doesn't make it clear exactly what he does. I saw he got 5.8A out of it, 622 kcd, so I'd assume he used around the equivalent of an R030 or so to boost the power. I'm just a bit surprised it opened up this easy - prying tool to pop up the contact board, had signs of glue, but no damage getting it loose, and the bezel I unscrewed by hand. It looks like there's another threaded connection down by the top of the pill, but didn't try that yet - it's probably not necessary and I've seen vinh doesn't seem to open those threaded connections either. Also, looks like maybe the pill top can be unscrewed, but didn't try that yet either.

My Boa strap wrench's are both worn out pretty good at this point, and emailed them for replacement straps. They asked me for my address, so it sounds like they will be shipping them out to me -- I'll see, no confirmation yet. So, I may be restricted in what I can do, but you can work from the top of the head to access the LED/star. Even though the star is cut of by 1/3, I'd say it's still bigger and thicker than a SinkPAD or Noctigon 20mm.

With DayLighter, I held this light side by side against a HD2010 and noticed similarities in the reflector, as if the TK61 is just a simple scaled up version, relatively shallow reflector like the HD 2010. It's beam pattern is not perfect for sure, has like a clover leaf type of shape around the center beam, similar to a HD2010.

thats just shy of a mile for a reflector light!!

Justin - do you know any of the specifics on vinh's mod? What resistors? If he replaced the MCPCB or not? Did he dedome the stock emitter or use a replacement XM-L2 U2 1A?

The + and - wires between the contact board and the driver are the biggest I've ever seen in a flashlight, maybe 14 or 16 gauge, serious stuff, and the emitter wires look like 18 or 20 gauge. The SS bezel is quite heavy but the reflector is feather light because of it being plastic.

the only specifics that i do know for sure is that vinh needed to “Beef up” the stock driver with additional components as it could not take the heat past 4 amps. Im not sure of the exact parts he used - but i do know that mine runs at around 5.5-5.7a now

Oh boy, that could be almost anything... I'd suspect either the high amps mod didn't work, or created a part or two to go super nova (hot). Could be a zener diode, MOSFET, etc... Maybe he had help if this is the case. Like I said, he doesn't post these kind of details, and no one asks because all his followers really don't care, they just want it.

he also said in the first post that the driver is cooled with a thermal pad

i know that this light is a major pain to tune for correct focus… so much so that vinh glued the heads shut on all the ones he mailed out unless you asked him not to

ive run mine on high/turbo for hours with no issues whatsoever… i had one flicker ONCE when going from high to low but that was the only hiccup i have had

Hhmm, not sure what he saw or did, but I added an R100 and an R082 (easy to do), and battery amps (2S, 2P) went from 1.51A to 2.38A, 3.02A to 4.76A effective, and everything looks good so far. Lumens OTF went up from 1,217 to 1,608 and throw went from 195 kcd to 266 kcd with no other focus tweeking, still domed. I though this was driven pretty conservatively stock...

I measure throw at 5 meters, so my throw #'s are usually low compared to rdrfronty's.

This is a very simple mod to get a nice bump over stock, and with the 4 cells only drawing about 1.2A each, you will still get very good runtime.

Nice work Tom,I would like to get a hold of a TK-61 but that’s not in the near future.I see this reflector and can’t help but to think about a trustfire X7 mod i saw on here where the reflector base was reamed out larger to focus the beam more.The Fenix would be way easier being a plastic reflector,but the risk is huge with a high dollar light like that.Just an idea to throw out there,might help to focus or tune the beam better.

yea way to go tom. now i really wonder what you d be able to do if you were to dedome it and do full mods on it. but i know daylighter wants to keep max spill brightness. so thats a no go…

hey guys, i got this light coming, do you think going from ~170 kcd> ~240 kcd (resistor mod) is worth it generally?

I think going from 170Kcd to 622Kcd is MORE worth it!!

That is what my TK61vn is!! :bigsmile:

The resistor mod itself is pretty simple, so I'd say it's worth it. But all you are mentioning is the throw #, so if you are mostly concerned with throw, then de-doming would double the throw #.

Yes, but de-doming may produce green-yellow tint which i can’t stand sadly :frowning:

Is it easy to open and mod?

I've been finding the bezel is not glued, but fairly tight. I was able to open two TK61's with strap wrench's - no heat. The driver contact board may/might have some glue - not sure, there's signs of some substance but only in one spot. I was able to pry it up. Last night on a TK61, I simply used a screwdriver with a light tap of a hammer with the screwdriver tip up against the edge of the contact board - board is very thick with sides exposed in two spots.

little (maybe a lot) more power than the R100 + R082 I used the last time. This one will be de-domed. They use grease under the star, not epoxy, so looks easy to get it out -- didn't do yet.

You gotta love Fenix lights - built robust but very light in weight. Heaviest gauge wire, thickest contact board I've ever seen in a flashlight, and super light weight.

Thanks for the info Tom E!

Any other throwers you like better?

Well.... Looks like the TK61 is the current king of LED reflector throw lights (maybe any mass produced handheld flashlight?), at least I dunno of anything better.... The TN31/32 is nice of course to mod by resistor bridging, while this light seems like you got to add resistors. Besides outstanding throw, the TK61 is a Fenix, so lightweight, quality, versatility is there. You can, for example, take the cell pack and tube off a TK75 and add it to the TK61, double your runtime. Even stock with 4 cells in 2S2P configuration, you get exc. power/runtime. Stock, I got higher lumens and throw than they list, but maybe it's my meter, maybe they under spec, not sure... Forget - some higher end manufacturer's under spec, some over spec.