New Fireflylite T9R STB90.2 / Osram 1x21700 Thrower Preview

Fireflylite- can you guys make a triple sbt90.2 in a small soda/pop can style light similar to the r0t66, but bigger?

Intested depending on Price

Is the Osram version available to buy now?

With the new Osram, it would be a very nice thrower :slight_smile:

This light, SBT90.2 and CULNM1.TG versions have just appeared on FireFlies site for pre-order.

Decided to order just one for the time being… a difficult choice. Still undecided.

Post the link please. Really appreciated.

https://www.ff-light.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=78

Tried ordering but said not in stock.

Yeah me too.

I wonder if prices for both lights will be the same. The SBT90.2 version should have a significantly higher price compared to the CULNM1.TG. The LED alone is about $ 40.00. I also wonder if they really mean CULNM1.TG and not CULPM1.TG. It’s quite a challenge to squeeze 1,000 lm out of the Boost HL.

Are they not already stating NM not PM? That’s what I’m seeing.

I was thinking about the same price listing for both emitters with the cost differential being as it is and started to wonder about what profit margin would accommodate this. If the prices really are as stated then they will be making significantly more from selling the CULNM1.TG in comparison to SBT90.2. But perhaps the gains in marketing both at the same price outweigh the relative losses on the SBT90.2. No doubt they have done the maths. But with the equal pricing a buyer will be getting more hardware for the price with the SBT90.2.

Surely the listing is incomplete and you guys are reading way too far into this.

FF makes great lights with unique features but their website has never been their strong suit. I would be surprised if Jack / FireFlies didn’t make a proper post when it was actually time to order.

I agree. Needless conjecturing. We’ll soon see. It’s the fourth of their new lights that has really captured my interest. That’s what I’m waiting for.

It will be difficult for me to justify buying this SBT90.2 to simply fill a gap between my NI40 and KT30GT. But I expect I’ll still buy at some stage for the design… and that reflector looks really good :slight_smile:

The last message I got from them was that the price will be above 150 USD for the SBT90.2. But yeah let see with what price they coming up.

Semi- interested. Depends on price, As the K1 May still be a better value, but this design is unique and it’s a little smaller size which is appealing with similar throw and still great driver like K1. I have enough sbt90.2 this size, interested in osram, would buy definitely if it was the CULPM1…

I hope there will also be a version with a Green - KP CSLNM1.F1 or Green - KP CSLPM1.F1.

The K1 uses a linear driver except the xhp35 model which uses a boost driver. This light uses a buck driver, which is better than the linear driver of the K1.

Ok. I thought the K1 had a better driver in the osram and sbt90 versions. But besides potential efficiency increase what makes the buck driver better? Or why use a buck driver if multiple cells aren’t being used? I thought that was a the main reason for a buck driver, to drop the voltage of the power source to closely match the emitter ?

Any linear driver whether CC or linear regs like 7135 will burn off excess input voltage from the cells as heat. This both hurts efficiency (especially since there are a number of emitters that have a Vf below 3V for a large chunk of their output range) and generates more heat.

Buck driver conserves that power whether the difference between input voltage and forward voltage is 9V or 0.5V. It’s necessary for lights where cells are used in series and the emitter needs significantly lower, but it’s still beneficial for single cell lights.

That was such a good explanation even I could understand it. Thank you BP. That
definitely makes sense, and I (obviously) was not aware of the fact that even though an emitter is 3v it’s voltage isn’t alway 3 volts through its whole out range. Which given that, makes more sense why a buck driver would be beneficial. Now, I don’t want to make pretend I understand how the buck driver actually conserves that power versus just “letting it burn” like a linear driver, but it’s nice to have a little more “insight” into these benefits. Thank you.