New flashlight company: Imalent. Flashlights with display

I asked them if they were considering some alternative emitters to the XM-L T6, and some higher CRI, and it seems that they are slow in even getting to XM-L2 from XM-L. They did not seem very receptive to the idea of going to some warmer tints with higher CRI, saying it “would confuse the customers”.

Lol. Who are they trying to sell lights to? Snails?

To be fair I went back and looked up what was said. My quote was pretty much bang on, but they also mentioned that in future they plan to put an unspecified “NW LED in DC2R or DD2R in next batch”. But even then I could not tell if they meant that would be an XM-L or XM-L2, or what it would be, but obliquely mentioned in the same sentence a reference to an XM-L T4 5C emitter. Hopefully for their sake that will turn out to be an XM-L2 T4 emitter.

i think the best thing imalent could do is send a sample to johnny mac or foy for a proper review to generate business

If the review was good and we could get a reasonable GB price I might be willing to over look an older emitter for the sake of trying a new touch screen type light

Not what I was expecting! Not speaking German, I didn’t get the point in the end, but it was entertaining none the less. Thanks for the head’s up.

BAhahahaha. What was the purpose of the hammer? :smiley:

Can someone do a rough translation?

That looks the same as my Piton rock hammer from the 70’s. I didn’t realize until now that Reinhold Messner is selling flashlights in his spare time.

So we got a couple samples of these for all their models. Not impressed at all, here's a photo gallery I took of the T4A for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/Z2yLp#0

Confirmed resistive touch screen. Lots of excess glue around the screen edges and the 3 "phone" like buttons don't do anything, likely extra screens from a phone manufacturer. Touch screen flexes when I push and distort the display. Machining is not bad, battery carriers are below average: hard to insert batteries for the T4A battery carrier, for the TM26 clone they very very tightly fit some 3400 18650s I have, will not fit unprotected (they just fall out and don't make contact). UI could be better, you need the hold the rear physical power button for 3 seconds to turn the light off and on.

EDIT: Battery carrier for the T4A is all in series, I'm getting readings hopping between 0.5 and 1 milliamps for parasitic drain with the screen off.

Well, thanks for clarify that, now we know what Messner was doing with the piton hammer, I thought his wife had probably given him that light for his birthday instead of the Fenix he really wanted, but now it becomes obvious he was trying to change the intensity levels after having no luck sliding his finger on the screen.

Nice idea, poor implementation. Hopefully they'll fix it or something else will give it a shot.

Don’t understand taking a hammer to the lens and the touchscreen, was it supposed to survive an attack like that, would any light?

I was assuming the guy didn’t like the light or something, and just wanted to destroy it. idk.

According to the German translated version of his reasoning. He bought the flashlight off Ebay and it wasn't great so he wanted to return it, but Paypal Buyer Protection didn't cover it for some reason so the only thing left for him to do was trash it.

my French skills **** too ;)

thanks ! glad i steered clear of this one

seems like a good idea but just cheaply made

About the video:
One person bought the flashlight, received it and though it was DAO - he could not switch it on. He opened a Paypalcase. Then he read the manual and noticed, that he has to push the button for a few seconds. He tried it, it worked and he closed the case.

A few days later he notice, that his Eneloops are down and work only a few minutes (after two days in the flashlight, without using it). He has the same result with other batteries.

He couldn't open another case (you can open only one case about one product) and ask in the forum, if anyone wants it for 10€.
The videoproducer bought it for this video and wants to destroy it. The first "tests" with the water and the rubber mallet were only ironic "take a look at the great quality".
I don't know, why he doesn't try to modd it.

Selected lights made this video and it is a famous flashlight shop in Germany. The words which he uses often in the video was Schrott (junk), Sch**** (sh**) and I have never heard these words in any other video he made.

Last point was the battery length: He prefers protected batteries with 2900mAh or more but they don't fit not even the older Solarforce.

HKequipment has the DD4R for $209.99.

http://www.amazon.com/BEAMSHOT-Flashcam-Tactical-Flashlight-Recorder/dp/B0098D62HA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_3

Strange, But true. Guess the idea is kinda cool. Great for getting those hard to get beam shots! LOL