New Folomov 18650s

Yes, my lanyard is broken on the sharp edges of the lanyard-holes.

Houston we have a problem.

I liked this model so much that I bought the second one,
and today I bought the third one as well.

Can I still be cured or is it too late? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s too late. For us all from the BLF forum. :slight_smile:

Hmm, has anyone else this?: when the battery is low my Folomov 18650S does a stepdown, once it has done that it will not respond to the switch anymore, so not switching modes and not even turn off. Breaking battery contact for a moment switches the light off and the switch works again to switch the light on, once the light is on again, the switch does not do anything anymore. The battery measured 3.4V when this all happened. Changing to a charged battery fixes everything.

It could be caused by the little led that I soldered (with inline resistor) between batt+ and batt- so that I have a lighted switch on this model, so it is very well possible that no one else has this (minor IMO) problem.

Wow! I want a lighted switch too.
How did you do this?
Any photos?
Thank you)

I posted some pictures in the “what did you mod today” thread in december: What did you mod today? - #6512 by djozz
But as described above it may mess with the UI when the battery is low. It is no problem for me because I use it on my bike and as long as it does not shut down early it is fine.

Mine had that problem, which was exacerbated by the battery draining all by itself in a day or two when the light was off and sitting on the table. This problem wasn’t obvious in the first week of use, though.

The first UI malfunction that I noticed was the already reported problem of most of the time when clicking from Moonlight to what should be the last memorized mode, it would go to Turbo, instead, regardless of what mode it was in when last turned off.

I already wasn’t very pleased with the “Wave” mode sequence - it took way to long to get back to a lower setting, once you had passed it up.

I returned mine for a refund because of the two malfunctions. Customer service was excellent for the return - they provided a UPS return shipping label and provided the refund to my PayPal the day that the light was picked up by UPS.

I was really bummed when I experienced the UI and didn’t like it. Then I had the two functional problems.

I really liked the form factor of the light and the feel in the hand and the beam shape and tint were acceptable to me. I still haven’t found a replacement light that’s anywhere near as compact. I have since purchased a Sofirn 32A and a BLF A6 and am currently carrying the A6. Neither of these lights feels as good in my hand as the Folomov 18650S, but I do like their UIs better.

Can anyone help me, please? After the Nichia 219D has been replaced by the Samsung LH351D 5000K 90CRI the Folomov 18650S will automatically turn on as soon as a battery is placed into the light. Any hint what could have caused this?

If the button is working ok (not stuck or something), could be something is shorted from the re-assembly, or possibly damaged

The UI of this light seems pretty sensitive to anything, I do not think that they did any work on robustness of the firmware and electronics.

Still I’m fond of it because it is different from any other light, and surprises keep popping up :smiling_imp:

2 options now on amazon. 3400 battery with 960 lumens and 5000k. I’ve been using it daily for a week. I was kind of hoping that the 5000k was a misprint or only applied to the highest setting based on previous discussion. I really wanted the 3000k. So now I’m going to get the original one. And the instructions mention that only the two low modes will work if the battery is at 10%. It never gets hot, step down from turbo after about a minute. I The only problem I have is learning to press and hold to shut it off. This is replacing an Olight s30rIII after two years only because I wanted something warmer and slightly smaller. *Corrected to “turbo” step down

Can a Nichia 219D be either 3000k or 5000k? The Amazon ad shows both to be 219D.

I don’t know if the 219D can be both 3000K and 5000K. But that’s part of why I thought it was a misprint or only applied to turbo. I’ll have the 3000K here after Thursday to compare them both side by side with identical batteries. Edit. The 5000K that I have is neutral but definitely not as yellow and warm as pictures and videos I’ve seen of the 3000K

Best thing I did with this light is put an XPL-HI in 4000K in it. Bought a cheap hot air station just for this. I use it all the time (Hot Air Station & the 18650S). Run times on higher levels have quadrupled if not more. I carry it every day. Love the size of this light. Thought about trying an XPL-HD for a more floody beam, just grown partial to the HI version. I have 2 so I may change that one to the HD.

Hondarider, what is a hot air station?

Just received my 3rd 18650s today. I’m only carying the one I already have an Attiny in but the other 2 will be used as soon as I’ve got a driver ready!

Can anyone ID the part labeled U2 on the board? Marked B1B5B

Hope Folomov did something to that light to make it better. The ones a lot of us bought got very very hot on turbo and the LED was being overdriven to a point of changing to a weird blue color with a fully charged cell. I swapped emitters on mine and did one for a friend. Hope you get a good one.

Look up the 858d Hot Air Station. It’s a small heat gun put simply. You can control air flow and heat. Made for soldering when an iron is not feasible. In this case the positive post is soldered to the mcpcb and the led cannot be removed with a hot plate. Works wonders. There should be some youtube videos if you want to see how well they work. Best $35 I spent lately.

Some kind of 2 input gate logic maybe?

BTW, for those who don’t like the Press-Hold to turn Off but still like the light otherwise (size, tint, etc), the Folomov 18650s actually runs good in Tactical Mode. It converts to operate as a forward clicky, with momentary Tactical (Turbo only however.)

Press-hold for Turbo / release to turn Off
or
Click to turn On in Turbo / Click to turn Off

(or Double-click for Strobe)