New here - though I'd say hi :)

Hello!

I’m an electronics enthusiast and pyhsicist, located in EU, who discovered yet another expensive hobby not too long ago when I was originally just looking for something that “makes light”. By now I own a bunch of lights, mainly Sofirn, and am looking to buy something else entirely soon - will need some opinions on that, but that’s a separate thread for another day.

My current lights (listed by frequency of use), and why I chose them:

• Sofirn HS10
    • 4000K and high CRI, very even light
    • Okayish as a headlamp
    • Great as a work light in tight spaces (car/motorbike/PC repairs) due to mag tailcap and 90° angle
    • Basically, just an excellent allrounder (if you do not expect it to run long… Efficiency is terrible)
    • USB-C for charging
  • Olight I1R2 Pro
    • Was free
    • Awesome keychain light - bright and small enough
    • USB-C for charging
  • Sofirn SP33S
    • My lamp for “I just need lots of flood rn”
    • USB-C for charging
    • Portable powerbank, can charge my phone within an hour or so
  • Sofirn C01s
    • Great little AA twisty
    • SST-20 with good optics
    • Used to be dirt cheap
  • Sofirn IF19
    • Was cheap on sale and looked cute. Dunno. No idea what to use it for honestly.

Future plans:

• I need a 18350 EDC to keep in my backpack
  • I want a UV light
  • Emitter swap the SP33S over to a 70.3 HI (low CRI, I want to keep it as an efficient, bright light. No need for good CRI on this one)
  • Maybe tinker with my own drivers someday in the future, but for now I am fine with buying. Got tons of other electronics projects (both personal and as a freelancer) to do before I find time to mess around with my own flashlight internals

Oh man, I guess this was supposed to be a short introduction, and I ended up making it a whole ass list of lights nobody cares about. I’ll stop now before I write any more nonsense nobody wants to read anyway :wink:
See you around!

8 Thanks

Welcome to the Mighty BLF!
Enjoy yourself and sit a spell.
Later,

Keith

1 Thank

Welcome to BLF Moritz!

1 Thank

Greetings
Make yourself at home. At light’s home :sunglasses:

1 Thank

Welcome!!

1 Thank

Have a pleasant time at this friendly forum, ebastler!

Welcome!

Welcome! A bunch, huh? You’re just getting started!

Welcome to the forum.

Those Sofirn C01S’s are brilliant lights, especially for the price they were sold at, it’s a shame they were discontinued.

This hobby doesn’t have to be too expensive, especially if you’re into tinkering- hosts and parts are generally modestly priced. With a soldering iron and some tweezers, and some minor consumables (solder, thermal paste, etc), and you’re set for driver/LED swaps.

It’s been a while since I ran out of likes to give (apparently those are limited for newcomers), so I’ll do it the old fashioned way - thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Dear lord, not sure how to explain that to my partner, lol.

Yeah, I really hope they’ll launch a worthy successor soon. Same lens, same electronics, same LED - those were honestly pretty much perfect. Maybe a bit less boxy and more rounded body so it feels better in the pocket. But mostly, they were just perfect the way they are.

I’d also like a SC01 revival - the stainless body of that little thing looks so good. Way better than my Olight.

Welcome to BLF Moritz!

Looks like you have a great start with flashlights. :+1:

Welcome to BLF, it looks like you’ll like it here.

Hide your wallet from yourself though, the price of cheap lights add up pretty quick.

Welcome!
In addition to the many Sofirn and other main brands of lights I have, I still post about modifications on stuff I bought from Home Depot and Lowes years ago!