New High Lumen Claim - 3800 Lumens!

Mine came off pretty easy, but given the design I don't think you'll break it if you had to use a bit force. Your was prolly done by the muscle guy at the factory.

The muscle guy at the factory...

You were right, after a litte bit of persuasion the ring came off, and I could pull out the driver.

Mine was clean, and I can't see anything obviously broken.

When i measure resistance (is this even helpful for a diagnose?) between the spring and the border I get about 23 MegaOhm.

After reassembling is still doesn't work

I guess I did too many tests and overheated/heat-stressed something. Check out my other thread about my SR3800 giving up.... You need to use quite some force, I don't have sharp-nose type of pliers so i use 2 pcs of precision screwdrivers to twist. Anyway the LED head is still working via direct drive so it's only the driver. I think i'll just leave it for fun and get another one like the Trustfire, but i am confirming with them that it is indeed screwed in, which should be ok.

The thing useful about this format of light is that it can run on 2 x 18500 IMRs and be a shorty and be carry in the jeans should you need a really powerful light and still have good runtime + nearly 2000 lumens for a run of 10 mins, it is somewhat floody like a P60 light so it is very useful for close-up usage from 5m - 50m (play with the levels so that it does not blind ya LOL!). And cheap enough so that if it fails or you lose it, it is not painful. Haha... Seriously my usage was pretty tough.

Now there are two versions of both 3 mode and 5 mode available:

Revision 1 of 3-mode: SKU 7936, with "Drop-in" module
Revision 2 of 3-mode: SKU 8149, with "Screw head" module

Revision 1 of 5-mode: SKU 7623, with "Drop-in" module
Revision 2 of 5-mode: SKU 8148, with "Screw head" module

Which one should have better heat transfer? The drop-in is screwed in, so it's not really a drop-in...

Screw in is better. May not look like a lot of surface area, but it should be ok.

Thanks, I'll try that one then. Let's hope the driver is not dead on arrival and lives longer than 20 hours

It will live longer than 20-50 hrs even.... I do my tests in the water, cooled, but there are times which i cycled the cells with just a wet tower and 1/4 of the light dipped into water. Thing is even Fenix would not run in turbo for > 15 mins? Sunwayled and many lights even would not run it anywhere near 2.5A with their 1 x 18650 small bodies, lets not talk about 3.0A. :)

Maybe can try the Trustfire? I am eyeing that and awaiting confirmation that it is screwed in kind of drop-in design before purchasing. The threads are humongous in numbers compared to Sky Ray. Don't think you'd even need to wrap it in foil....because the Sky Ray revision 2 interface for heat transfer to the body from the 3 stars is via that kind of interface too, just one slab in the middle to the host. If you want anything more you'd need copper plates.

Trustfire has a drop-in which is a bit different for that 3-cell. I am not sure if that is the SZBOM model, which takes 1.77A with 3 cells.

Hey gang...

Am new. Could not find a way to start a new thread. So here's my "Hi, how ya doin."

Found this forum through CPF where I've been playing around for some time since my fascination with lights began in 2005. I've been following this light and yall's posts on it for the last 3 days. Decided to get in on the action.

I've never owned an 18650 light and am curious on your remarks about them exploding. lol

My ideal budget like may indeed not exist. I want 1200 or so lumens, pocketable, throwy, belt clip (a good one), and strike bezel (and of course, rear clicky that can stand on end). I saw this monster and thought, heck, I'll compromise!

My brightest light now is my Coleman 500 lumen, which, as I stated in my YouTUbe review, isn't quite that. I'd really love to know more about these OTF lumens from Ultrafire, Trustfire, and other Chinese lights. Regulation, heatsinking, they are of course a must, but then I've seen that many do quite well at that.

So, tell me, those of you who have the TK 35...does this kick its rear? It just doesn't seem worth it to invest in this light if it can't handsomely clear that 2000 OTF lumen range. I really want to be able to spot what's in the bushes at 110 yards. Sell me!

:-)

Hi there Rusty Joe, welcome to BLF! We're glad you joined.

So, what's up with the "rev1" and "rev2" of this light on Manafont? Which is the good revision?

I dunno. 2? I don't trust drop-ins as much, I'll say. But for my purposes, quick "vanity"-spotting (lol) is pretty much my aim (pardon the pun). I'm not too, too concerned about incredibly long usages. Just a walk to the car can be adventurous!

I've been toying around going for the TK 35, but want to believe the Sky Way can appease my throw-hunger. We'll see. I just can't decide. Maybe I'll yet be talked into this thing.

Just do it!

Hi Rusty Joe! From what I saw, the TK35 throws a little bit farther, but has only about half the lumens pushed out. So you have to decide whether you want output or throw.

There are several beamshot comparisons here: ThaiCPF 1, ThaiCPF 2

Because my SkyRay is defective, I couldn't compare them personally (I also own the TK35), but you have to keep in mind that many of the TK35s have a green tint / corona, mine also has it :-(

Also i really like momentary switches on my lights, so the UI of the TK35 is much better for me.

Rev 2 with the screws is the one to get of the two. Rev 1 is drop in like p60 with poor heat transfer and no other host compatibility anyway. If you want Rev 1, just get the Fandyfire version at DX, it's the same thing for less.

This light or similar variant is still 100% worth getting for any flashoholic. If the trustfire is screwed in w/ same driver, it's probably the best variant right now.

Anyone know which revision of the light I received? After I unscrew the driver it seems to have a screw on the inside. I've removed the bezel and the reflector wont budge. I'm afraid to unscrew it and mess around with it since its working really well.

Here's a few pictures. Maybe you guys will know if I got a good revision or bad revision.

\

That's Rev.0, the OG Limited Edition. The screw just holds down the reflector.

is that a good thing or bad?

Was I lucky and got one of the better revisions?

EDIT: From reading the other thread. It seems I got the BEST revision?

Whichever one I got, it runs very well and takes a long time before it gets warm and it never gets too hot to hold.

Wow, which country are you in? And how cold does it get, esp out in the open? Laughing

This triple XML is a really great light but does anyone who has been through a few more developmental cycles than me know how long we have until the five XML lights arrive? It seems that just a few months ago the XML was fairly pricey and now we have triples everywhere for pretty cheap prices. I want a five or six XML. I know it’s wrong but I’m the type of guy who buys a 20 foot boat and is looking at 22 footers before I even take delivery.

I live in Antarctica.

Well done!