New into flashlights

Hello everyone!

I practice a serie of sports like alpinism, biking, etc and have found it’s important to have great flashlights, so here I am to learn more about it.

1 Thank

Hi Alvin, welcome on board of the nicest community of flashlight noobs, flashlight lovers and flashaholics.

Thanks for stopping by, alv_23!

Hi Alvin

Make yourself at home :wink:

Welcome! My wife and I watch that movie Alpinist and holy cow! Amazing

Welcome Alvin

Welcome Alvin…

I just decided to put a light loaded w Surefire CR123 batteries into the Backpack I use when Skiing out of bounds.

Since the light is part of an emergency kit, I chose CR123 instead of 16340, for the longer runtime, better cold tolerance, and longer shelf life.

I have several CR123 lights to choose from, but they are all discontinued models, and none is a headlamp.

Im researching a currently available single CR123 headlamp options… not finding anything yet…

So I went ahead and ordered a Skilhunt H150, w Nichia 519a 4500K, to be powered by AA Ultimate Lithium.

Welcome to BLF Alvin!

Agreed, it’s very important to have great (and numerous) flashlights. :+1:

I presume in the States is more convenient to buy 123 instead AA? Here is the opposite. But I prefer 123 form factor

I’m actually looking for something to complement my partner’s armytek tiara A1 and my manker e03 just in case any of them fail during a winter alpine or ski route.

Everyone tells me to buy an armytek (easier to get than a zebra in Europe) but is way too high for my budget right now… I’m taking a look to something like a convoy h1 but don’t know if it will be enough in terms of reliability… (I’d prefer a 18650 one for the extended runtime).

not really… AA is very common… If I gift a light, I dont offer CR123, I offer AA… and recommend Ultimate Lithium AA, which are more common than CR123

I would choose Skilhunt H300. It can also use 2x CR123 for added runtime, cold tolerance, and storage life…

NIce Jon, thank you

For the price it has I’d probably buy an armytek once I can get some discount on black friday or any similar discount. Is there much difference over quality and reliability?

Armytek has a great reputation. Their Drivers are epoxy potted, extremely durable. I dont know if they work with CR123 also.

Armytek claims their LiIon power will operate down to -17F, but I think LiIon may not last very long at that temperature…

The Skilhunt has the cold weather advantage of being able to use CR123a, although I do not expect to be below 10F, I dont know if it matters.

both brands offer the 144 High CRI Nichia, but Armytek uses 3000K, while Skilhunt offers 4500K… you would need to choose based on your personal preference…

although I like 3000K when relaxing in full dark, I use 4500K more regularly… fwiw, moonlight is about 4500K also…

Thank you.

Any cheaper alternative for the skilhunt and armytek that’s reliable? (Like sofirn, convoy, etc)

I do not know all the options…
here is a link to headlamp reviews by zeroair

This could be useful for someone.
https://batteryhookup.com/products/50-energizer-ultimate-lithium-aa-batteries

1 Thank

Nice!